The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

woodyspedden

Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.

Kurt

I too have the 35mm S (had it for a few months now). The lack of distortion in a MF lens this wide is spectacular. I used to use the Zeiss/Hassy 40 CFE/IF lens and thought that was the most spectacular of all these types of lenses but the S35 simply takes the prize. I can't compare it to offerings from Rodenstock and Schneider as I have never used those but most others I have and I would take this one over all. I really look forward to your work with them.

Best

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Peter,

Great question ... no offense taken. I usually like my images a little softer ... so I process them that way. I'll post a crop that show you how sharp it is at 100%.

Kurt

woodyspedden

Yes, got the 70 in the package. I will test all of my lenses and see what lenses to keep out of the bunch. The 70 focuses nice and close, may hold off on the macro for now.
Al

You really are a cool dude for getting into the S system. Now for sure we need to get the Germany team back together for a reunion shoot and include guys like David Kipper and Kurt Kamka. That would be a hoot.

Post results my friend

Woody

woodyspedden

Thanks David... it was my favorite from the day. Not sure I had the WB dialed in accurately but thought the warmer look gave it more of a vintage feel. Here's another couple that came out pretty well.

One thing that doesn't show up in the photos is that my keeper rate has improved substantially in the few months I've had this camera. Also, my expectation that I could use it extensively without a tripod has proven to be the case.
David

Very cool work. What lens (or lenses) were you using for this shoot?

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
PeterV,

Here's a 100% crop of the previous image. I added a little sharpening ... the large ice formations closest to the lake are very rounded by air temperatures that have been below freezing and waves that are just above freezing.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Woody,

After a few months with the S2, I'm beginning to see just how good these S2 lenses are to use. It's becoming harder and harder to use any alternative lenses on the camera. My week with the 120 has showed me that although I may like the way the images from the Hassy 110/2 and the S2 combination look, the precise look of S lenses (and the quick AF) is one that I'm quickly growing very fond of seeing.

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks for the crop Kurt... and I think I would like it in color better.

Woody, all those car show shots were taken with the 70mm.

peterv

Kurt, thanks for taking the time to answer my silly question. The crop comes much closer to what I've come to expect from the S lenses.
I can understand your PP preference very well, especially when you have a file as sharp is this to start from...
Maybe it's some setting in ColorEffects that gives the B/W the look it has on the cr*ppy HP laptop I use now since my MBP is in the shop for repair and my Eizo at the office...
Thanks again for sharing!

GMB

GMB, lovely shots. Can I ask how you are getting down so low on the first...
Thanks David. I actually had to go up because there was a little path in between the fields that as lower than the ground of the fields. It was with the 70 at 6.8.

fotografz

A few more from my recent pregnancy shoot with the S2.

These were shot through a 7'X7' Scrim Jim silk using a wall of light background with 1400 w/s of strobe lighting. Nothing like paying a King's ransom for the best optics on the planet, and then degrading them ... :ROTFL:

View attachment 41251

View attachment 41253

View attachment 41252

I've always wanted to shoot a pregnant woman in a Corbusier lounge chair .... something about the shapes mimicking the bump. These were done using a modified 6' Profoto boom mounted strip light (half covered with black velvet, with about 2' left hanging as an apron to kill the spill on the background) ... I used a second 6' strip light laid on the floor in front of me to provide fill and to light the chrome curves. The client bought both of these as prints.

View attachment 41254

View attachment 41255

I used the S70mm for all the above, but also used the 35 and 180 during the shoot. It was all done tethered. The kit was very responsive and agile ... very easy to get the action shots.

Unfortunately, the best stuff I got during the session, including some with the 35 and 180, are private. :cry:

-Marc

ceh

[QUOTE Mark Gowin;296404]A couple more from my south Florida trip.

Storm Rolling into Key West

[/QUOTE]
..briliant picture.Do your plan to print it out?

Paratom

Kurt- I really like the bach shot and the B&W tones.
Marc - really nice- personally I like the one against the light and the other one you posted before (on the wall) best.
Those old cars....makes me feel my S2 is cheap ;)
Georg, I like the first one.

Cheers, Tom

ceh

A few more from my recent pregnancy shoot with the S2.
These were shot through a 7'X7' Scrim Jim silk using a wall of light background with 1400 w/s of strobe lighting. Nothing like paying a King's ransom for the best optics on the planet, and then degrading them ...

I've always wanted to shoot a pregnant woman in a Corbusier lounge chair .... something about the shapes mimicking the bump. These were done using a modified 6' Profoto boom mounted strip light (half covered with black velvet, with about 2' left hanging as an apron to kill the spill on the background) ... I used a second 6' strip light laid on the floor in front of me to provide fill and to light the chrome curves. The client bought both of these as prints.

I used the S70mm for all the above, but also used the 35 and 180 during the shoot. It was all done tethered. The kit was very responsive and agile ... very easy to get the action shots.

Unfortunately, the best stuff I got during the session, including some with the 35 and 180, are private. :cry:

-Marc
Excellent professional work.:)

fotografz

Excellent professional work.:)
Thanks!

Importantly, I think it further demonstrates how diverse the applications of this camera can be. At home in the mountains or the studio, at exotic destinations or on a neighborhood stroll, etc. In any conditions come rain or come shine. With and without image manipulation. All the different stuff being posted here. Not bad for a young system :thumbup:

Oddly, I've yet to mount it on a tripod except when testing it. Can't wait to apply it to a wedding shoot.

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Importantly, I think it further demonstrates how diverse the applications of this camera can be. At home in the mountains or the studio, at exotic destinations or on a neighborhood stroll, etc. In any conditions come rain or come shine. With and without image manipulation. All the different stuff being posted here. Not bad for a young system :thumbup:
-Marc
You are too modest Marc... What I think your shots demonstrate is that a talented, experienced photographer with creative ideas and an expert's knowledge of lighting can get superb images. Had to read the part about the black velvet modified strip light twice until I got what you meant. Thanks for sharing that...