Site Sponsors
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 2463

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Wonderful pictures all...

My favorites are the two from Tarpon Springs ... the diver and captain are outstanding ... one of my favorite memories of my youth. Lived in Largo/Clearwater and the TS field trips were a highlight.

Regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Been awhile since I posted some S shots.

Here are a few ... including a couple with my recently acquired S-100/2.

Explanations for each are under the image.

Leica S Work - fotografz

Thanks for looking.

- Marc
    Marc, I really like what you did with the 100/2, especially the portraits of the diver, boat captain and the pilot!

With shots like the boat captain, pulling, do you find autofocus working well with such a very fast lens wide open or do you focus manually?

I have a really hard time using autofocus and recomposing with these lenses wide open on the S2 and rather focus on the ground glass with the frame composed instead (on the matte of the manual focus screen).

Any tip is highly welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots Marc, the diver is my favourite.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone.

I'm very happy that the candids from "Sponge Town" and studio portrait of the WWII Pilot are liked because that is my current focus and most recent work ... I only have one wedding left and I'm done. Now, I'll be doing mostly studio and candid portrait studies, and walkabout "decisive moment" stuff.

Bob, we bought a second home in Palm Harbor between Clearwater and Tarpon Springs and I just spent my first Winter there. Just in the nick-of-time since it was another brutal winter up North. Nice light down here!

The S-100/2 is simply a dream come true for me and how I like to shoot. In a way, it reminds me of the Mandler M-75/1.4 ... except I have more in-focus shots than I could manage with the M lens : -)

Menos, do you have the AF function assigned to the joy stick on the back of the S so it is separate from the shutter button? The camera is set to Manual Focus and then pressing the joy stick (or AE button on the S2) does the AF. Not only is it faster, it seems more accurate.

I seem to have a decent AF hit rate working that way. However shooting weddings with the S does account for a lot of practice. Practice seems to inform one's instinct regarding acquired focus.

I rarely use Manual Focus on the ground glass for candid work with the S (mostly use Manual in the studio). Personally, I'm much more interested in getting the "decisive moments" than worrying about auto focus, ... so I work really fast at auto-focus/recompose/shoot.

IMO, there are probably more out-of-focus issues that could be subscribed to body sway and subject movement than from relatively minor off-center recompose. Quick instincts and speedy muscle memory seems to help a lot.

Lastly, I am not allergic to cropping for more pronounced off-center compositions. We have a generous sensor and the best set of MF lenses on the planet that help in that task ... IMHO of course.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set of images, Marc. And wonderful flash-work! Really amazing how your were able to use so much flash light in such a subtle way, very nicely balanced.

The pilot-portait is well chosen, with his eyes moving to the left, very telling.

I like your 100mm 'Cron portaits too. I don't know how candid you want to be, but the diver and the boat captain portait could benefit from just a little eyelight, perhaps. For that I use the Leica SF-24d on my S2. It works great in A-mode with the CS lenses up to 1/1000 and exposure compensation to minus 2-3 stops.

Good to hear that you found a nice shelter from the terrible winter up North!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Menos, do you have the AF function assigned to the joy stick on the back of the S so it is separate from the shutter button? The camera is set to Manual Focus and then pressing the joy stick (or AE button on the S2) does the AF. Not only is it faster, it seems more accurate.

I seem to have a decent AF hit rate working that way. However shooting weddings with the S does account for a lot of practice. Practice seems to inform one's instinct regarding acquired focus.

I rarely use Manual Focus on the ground glass for candid work with the S (mostly use Manual in the studio). Personally, I'm much more interested in getting the "decisive moments" than worrying about auto focus, ... so I work really fast at auto-focus/recompose/shoot.

IMO, there are probably more out-of-focus issues that could be subscribed to body sway and subject movement than from relatively minor off-center recompose. Quick instincts and speedy muscle memory seems to help a lot.

Lastly, I am not allergic to cropping for more pronounced off-center compositions. We have a generous sensor and the best set of MF lenses on the planet that help in that task ... IMHO of course.

- Marc
    Marc, thanks for the info. Yes, I have the S2 set up to be using the thumb button to activate Auto Focus.
    I have the shutter release half press set up to lock exposure and use almost exclusively center weighted metering (I use the Leica M and my Nikon DSLRs the same way).

I meant that the focus issues I see myself having are not based on recomposing (I do this all the time with the other cameras without issues).
    Maybe it's an issue with myself moving strangely when using the S2 - I guess, I should give this camera more time (I rarely used it over the last two years).

Post Thanks / Like

menos - Do you think it's the lenses you use with it? Could any of them have mid-zone dips? That's one of the most frustrating problems with the 50 Summilux-ASPH. Causes OOF shots all the time.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by menos View Post
    Marc, thanks for the info. Yes, I have the S2 set up to be using the thumb button to activate Auto Focus.
    I have the shutter release half press set up to lock exposure and use almost exclusively center weighted metering (I use the Leica M and my Nikon DSLRs the same way).

I meant that the focus issues I see myself having are not based on recomposing (I do this all the time with the other cameras without issues).
    Maybe it's an issue with myself moving strangely when using the S2 - I guess, I should give this camera more time (I rarely used it over the last two years).
    "(I rarely used it over the last two years)."

I'd hazard a guess that this may be part of the problem.

I use the S more than any other camera, and shoot with it on a regular basis. So much so that I'm questioning much of my other gear. Practice has made it a more capable camera then when I first got it. However, I still have a 35mm DSLR for the few times I need swift AF especially with moving subjects in lower or flat available light.

Is it the slower AF that is at issue? Or is it that the images just are not sharp?

One thing I've learned is that you cannot cheat shutter speeds with any MFD camera when shooting available light, and the S is no exception. Either I keep the shutter speed up, or resort to a mono-pod. Slight camera movement really becomes an issue with lenses like the S-100/2 because when working with such a narrow DOF, nothing appears sharp anywhere in the image.

Shutter speeds usually aren't an issue when working with strobes in lower light because the flash duration is so short.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    menos - Do you think it's the lenses you use with it? Could any of them have mid-zone dips? That's one of the most frustrating problems with the 50 Summilux-ASPH. Causes OOF shots all the time.
    I don't think it's the lenses - it is likely user error on my part. The S lenses are probably among the best of the best around.

"(I rarely used it over the last two years)."

I'd hazard a guess that this may be part of the problem.

I use the S more than any other camera, and shoot with it on a regular basis. So much so that I'm questioning much of my other gear. Practice has made it a more capable camera then when I first got it. However, I still have a 35mm DSLR for the few times I need swift AF especially with moving subjects in lower or flat available light.

Is it the slower AF that is at issue? Or is it that the images just are not sharp?

One thing I've learned is that you cannot cheat shutter speeds with any MFD camera when shooting available light, and the S is no exception. Either I keep the shutter speed up, or resort to a mono-pod. Slight camera movement really becomes an issue with lenses like the S-100/2 because when working with such a narrow DOF, nothing appears sharp anywhere in the image.

Shutter speeds usually aren't an issue when working with strobes in lower light because the flash duration is so short.

- Marc
    Marc, my issue is that more often than I am used to (from 35mm systems) I miss focus just enough to be bothersome when shooting close up wide open.
    Say, the eye further away is in focus rather than the closer eye, or I get the beginning of the hairline in focus, rather than the eye, …

I find that when using the camera with the shutter release to focus in single drive mode, I very, very rarely miss focus in such situations.
    The issue with the S2 is that if you setup the thumb button to auto focus (my preferred way) focussing will be at all times continuous focus.

As focussing is a lot slower than 35mm, I suspect that I just don't have the timing right between when to stop auto focus to when to start moving to recompose and have the AF starting to hunt the moment I recompose, resulting in missing focus …*if that makes any sense.

In short: you may very well be right that taking the S2 out more often and practicing to get more used to this.

On my recent trip I simply counteracted by stopping the lens down to f4 when normally I would shoot a portrait with a wider aperture.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, how nice would it be to be able to post in this thread !!!
    Recently, I have been debating my system choices and from the looks of it, it is very likely that I will go for a Leica S system. (Have to offload a lot of M gear for that )
    On that note, I would like to hear from anyone with experience what they think about the 30-90 zoom on the S (006). As I understand it, the CCD sensor will limit the usefulness in cloudy / shady situations. As I see it, its clearly a winner between the 45-70 focal lengths, with distortions when wider or at the tele end. There is not a lot of information out there about it; it has both been maligned and praised. Its also quite pricey TBH. The option is to go for the 70 and the new luscious 100 (with only a 2K difference). Any thoughts?

(disclaiming: this query has also been posted on the MFD forum).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dirk

That doesn't sound right to me, your camera is acting in a different way to mine or maybe I have mine set up in another way.

I have mine set to manual focus with the rear joystick enabling auto focus, I can then use my thumb to tap the rear joystick, activate auto focus, once it has locked I can release my thumb and the camera doesn't then change that focus point, it is instantly back to manual focus and I can recompose as I like. Focussing with your thumb doesn't activate continuous focussing on my camera.

Does that make sense?

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    The option is to go for the 70 and the new luscious 100 (with only a 2K difference). Any thoughts?
    I would always go for the primes, but then I always feel the needed light and minimum shutter speeds of medium format gear rather limiting and would take any bit of aperture I can get …

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Hi Dirk

That doesn't sound right to me, your camera is acting in a different way to mine or maybe I have mine set up in another way.

I have mine set to manual focus with the rear joystick enabling auto focus, I can then use my thumb to tap the rear joystick, activate auto focus, once it has locked I can release my thumb and the camera doesn't then change that focus point, it is instantly back to manual focus and I can recompose as I like. Focussing with your thumb doesn't activate continuous focussing on my camera.

Does that make sense?

Mat
    Mat, that is exactly what I would like the AF to behave, but it does not "lock" and stay there but instead is constantly focussing, as in continuous AF until I take my thumb off the button (Please see I have a Leica S2 body, this might behave differently from the later S with the thumb joystick ?).
    If this behavior is as designed with the S2, I will have to work on my timing or revert to use AF with the shutter release …

I don't see any setting to change the AF behavior when setting up the camera to use the thumb button for AF - do I over look something?

When using the AF bound to the shutter release button and using single AF, it locks on wonderfully and every shot is perfectly in focus.
    I have completely stopped using continuous focus with the S2 - it is simply to slow to follow subject (or camera) motion sufficiently.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 006 Dirk so it may be different but have you got the camera set to manual focussing? When it's on manual, the rear button will only activate autofocus when you have it pressed, as soon as you release it returns to manual focus and doesn't continue focussing. Entirely possible this is only on the 006 but I would be surprised?

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 006 Dirk so it may be different but have you got the camera set to manual focussing? When it's on manual, the rear button will only activate autofocus when you have it pressed, as soon as you release it returns to manual focus and doesn't continue focussing. Entirely possible this is only on the 006 but I would be surprised?

Mat
    Yes Mat, of course.
    Camera set to manual focus,
    rear thumb button actuates AF
    (and stops to actuate AF once not pressed any longer),
    shutter release is set to only lock AE, half pressed and will not engage AF.

The bit that throws me off is that it will not act as in single drive mode (focus and LOCK), instead is focussing continuously as in CF drive mode.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think it's the lenses - it is likely user error on my part. The S lenses are probably among the best of the best around.

Marc, my issue is that more often than I am used to (from 35mm systems) I miss focus just enough to be bothersome when shooting close up wide open.
    Say, the eye further away is in focus rather than the closer eye, or I get the beginning of the hairline in focus, rather than the eye, …

I find that when using the camera with the shutter release to focus in single drive mode, I very, very rarely miss focus in such situations.
    The issue with the S2 is that if you setup the thumb button to auto focus (my preferred way) focussing will be at all times continuous focus.

As focussing is a lot slower than 35mm, I suspect that I just don't have the timing right between when to stop auto focus to when to start moving to recompose and have the AF starting to hunt the moment I recompose, resulting in missing focus …*if that makes any sense.

In short: you may very well be right that taking the S2 out more often and practicing to get more used to this.

On my recent trip I simply counteracted by stopping the lens down to f4 when normally I would shoot a portrait with a wider aperture.
    AH! We may have the problem identified.

You want AFs not AFc when using the rear thumb button.

It sounds like you have the wrong AF mode setting assigned to the rear AE/AF button.

When you set the S2 or S(006) to Manual Focus, you also have to select AFs in the Set-up Menu ... NOT Continuous AFc.

Enter Set-Up Menu. (botton right button next to the LCD)

Scroll to ... AE/AF LOCK (your camera will probably read AE/AF LOCK ... AFc on)

Enter that sub menu and select For MF Mode

Enter that sub-menu and select AFs on.

Frankly, I'm amazed you got anything in focus wide open and up close using AFc.

Hope this works so you can get back to using such a great camera more frequently.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would always go for the primes, but then I always feel the needed light and minimum shutter speeds of medium format gear rather limiting and would take any bit of aperture I can get …

Mat, that is exactly what I would like the AF to behave, but it does not "lock" and stay there but instead is constantly focussing, as in continuous AF until I take my thumb off the button (Please see I have a Leica S2 body, this might behave differently from the later S with the thumb joystick ?).
    If this behavior is as designed with the S2, I will have to work on my timing or revert to use AF with the shutter release …

I don't see any setting to change the AF behavior when setting up the camera to use the thumb button for AF - do I over look something?

When using the AF bound to the shutter release button and using single AF, it locks on wonderfully and every shot is perfectly in focus.
    I have completely stopped using continuous focus with the S2 - it is simply to slow to follow subject (or camera) motion sufficiently.
    See my recent post above.

You have your camera set incorrectly.

I tell you how to set it in the above post.

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

- Marc
    Last edited by fotografz; 17th March 2015 at 01:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Marc, I thought it would be a simple setting, I would have been surprised if the S2 was different to the 006.

Good luck Dirk!

Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat
    This is not correct.

It works as you have described only IF you assign AFs to the AE/AF button when in Manual Mode ... you can also assign AFc to the AE/AF rear button when in Manual Mode.

See my post above outlining the steps to select AFs:

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

BTW, it is the same on the S2 and S(006) ... I work with both cameras.

- Marcv

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marc, thanks a thousand time!

This is great info and I feel quite embarrassed how I could not have figured this one out ;-)

To be honest, I have set my 4 rear buttons (long press) as this:

top left: "exposure compensation",
    bottom left: "ISO"
    top right: "drive mode"
    bottom right: "metering"

I always changed drive mode through this rear button and never even had the idea that changing the focussing mode from within the menu when using manual focus would allow a proper focus lock.

I always assumed the S2 would be limited to to continuous focus when using the rear thumb button to activate focus !!! Two years of using the camera in this crooked way [double face palm]

You saved me there, thanks Marc for the lesson and Mat for digging into this, help me stopping this nonsense

Once I am out of the office, I will give it a try!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Marc, thanks a thousand time!

This is great info and I feel quite embarrassed how I could not have figured this one out ;-)

To be honest, I have set my 4 rear buttons (long press) as this:

top left: "exposure compensation",
    bottom left: "ISO"
    top right: "drive mode"
    bottom right: "metering"

I always changed drive mode through this rear button and never even had the idea that changing the focussing mode from within the menu when using manual focus would allow a proper focus lock.

I always assumed the S2 would be limited to to continuous focus when using the rear thumb button to activate focus !!! Two years of using the camera in this crooked way [double face palm]

You saved me there, thanks Marc for the lesson and Mat for digging into this, help me stopping this nonsense

Once I am out of the office, I will give it a try!
    You are welcome ... this is what makes GetDpi such a great forum! We help each other out.

Heck, it'll be like getting a new camera!

BTW, once you set this up, you really do not need to use the long push "Drive Mode" assigned to the top right button. The camera is in full time MF Mode unless you press the rear AE/AF button.

My 4 Long Push Custom Functions are:

Upper Left: ISO

Lower Left: White Balance: I have WB as a long push custom button choice because I sometimes set Manual WB ...

Upper Right: Exposure Compensation (upper right so I can press it with my thumb without taking the camera from my eye (the +/- gauge shows in the viewfinder)

Lower Right: Exposure Metering (for swift selection of Spot, Center weighted or Multi-field)

I've set the Stop Down button to show the Level for when working on a tripod.

Good luck,

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good idea for the stop down button to show the level! I never use stop down...
    I keep drive mode though, so I can choose the 2s self-timer for use on a tripod. Clearly this is the difference between people who photograph stationary things, versus people photographers!
    Mine are upper left: ISO, lower left: white balance, upper right: exposure compensation and lower right: drive mode.
    The rear thumb button is for AFs on, and I also use MF only. Stop down is still stop down, as I do not really need much else.

By the way, however, I am trying to get someone to make an S to Leica M or Sony E mount adapter so that I can use the S lenses on my A7s for video. I discovered that it is possible to keep the lenses stopped down if you hold down the stop-down lever and remove the lens. The aperture stays at whatever aperture you have set, so as long as you have an S body with you, you could set whatever aperture you want. Of course, it is not that quick or efficient, but it should work well for static scenes, which is mostly what I am interested in.

So much talk! Here is a picture or two. Lot of white around here still...

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful Stuart.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc - I do the same with the DOF preview button. My four buttons are as follows:

TL: ISO
    BL: Exposure Mode (most the time I keep it on spot for quick reference with my manual exposures)
    TR: Focus Mode (I need this, because sometimes I wanna shoot with one hand while drinking Ice Americanos, and then I use the AF mode rather then MF mode)
    BR: White Balance

I don't use EX.compensation because I'm always shooting manual. Habit from years of M use. I also truth be told only adjust the whitebal when I want to see what the final result will look like. Most of the time I shoot on a fixed whitebal (I use HMI). Because i'm always using a color checker passport anyway. So I adjust in LR. Unless of course I need the JPG files, then I make good use of the bottom right button.

Been playing with the 120APO lately. It's growing on me.

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome ... this is what makes GetDpi such a great forum! We help each other out.

Heck, it'll be like getting a new camera!

BTW, once you set this up, you really do not need to use the long push "Drive Mode" assigned to the top right button. The camera is in full time MF Mode unless you press the rear AE/AF button.

My 4 Long Push Custom Functions are:

Upper Left: ISO

Lower Left: White Balance: I have WB as a long push custom button choice because I sometimes set Manual WB ...

Upper Right: Exposure Compensation (upper right so I can press it with my thumb without taking the camera from my eye (the +/- gauge shows in the viewfinder)

Lower Right: Exposure Metering (for swift selection of Spot, Center weighted or Multi-field)

I've set the Stop Down button to show the Level for when working on a tripod.

Good luck,

- Marc
    Thanks again Marc - have been trying it yesterday in the dry and it is working beautifully! A new camera indeed ;-)

I see you guys prefer to set WB in camera. I use AWB with the S2 exclusively and find it nails WB in general lighting conditions very, very consistently, I rarely have to correct WB in Lightroom, but then I don't have a need for precise colors from shot to shot like for studio work.

Do you set WB for the consistency from shot to shot or are you also making use of the JPGs?

EDIT: added some photos
    In the past I always used a Nikon D3 + 60/2.8 Micro when a quick gear-shot needs to be taken.
    The S2 + 120/4 APO Zeiss (Contax 645) is just so much nicer though ;-) … the nicest Zeiss Contax lens in fact.

Last edited by menos; 17th March 2015 at 23:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also only tend to use the S2 in AWB. I only shoot DNG, and agree that it is remarkably consistent. I do edit every photo I wind up using, however, so WB is generally tweaked a little bit. In the studio I use a color chart and just set the balance off of that. I don't do that in the field very often, as I rely more on my eye, as the light here is rarely 100% neutral, and I would rather preserve the tints it has. The only way I know how to do that well is via memory and experience!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    By the way, however, I am trying to get someone to make an S to Leica M or Sony E mount adapter so that I can use the S lenses on my A7s for video. I discovered that it is possible to keep the lenses stopped down if you hold down the stop-down lever and remove the lens. The aperture stays at whatever aperture you have set, so as long as you have an S body with you, you could set whatever aperture you want. Of course, it is not that quick or efficient, but it should work well for static scenes, which is mostly what I am interested in.
    Interesting that you mentioned this, Stuart. I just entered a plea/request for Leica made adapters for Canon, Nikon and Sony E-mount here:

Plea for Canon, Nikon and Sony E-mount adapters - Leica User Forum

I understand that you're talking about a mechanical adapter and spacer, which would be great to have. I suggested a fully fledged Leica made set of adapters like they made for Hasselblad and Contax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That would be lovely, but unfortunately I think it might be less likely...the S lenses are one of the biggest reasons to get the S body, if someone can buy an S adapter and use the lenses on another camera with full functions, some people might think twice about getting the body. Maybe not, however! I hope they do it, having a fully functional S lens on an E mount camera would be very interesting for the video, super high ISO and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Stuart. Although it would be nice to have an adapter.

As for AWB. The problem is, I often find myself shooting in mixed lighting. So it's easier to set one point of reference that I like (on the spot). And then use the colorchecker. Then shoot as per normal, then later review and correct.

For outdoor spaces, I'll just set HMI then use the colorchecker.

I don't have anything against AWB (it does work well). But sometimes when shooting into the sun, then not. It will mess around with the colors, then confuse me in the edition process and I'll second guess what the colors should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stuart, I agree it's not very likely that Leica will make these adapters, but then again, who would have thought they'd make the 5 MF adapters they have now, 2 of which come with fully functional AF and auto diaphragm.

Right now I'm on vacation, but when I'm back I plan to make another post in that thread over at LUF (it got more than 500 hits in one week) about the counter-arguments against such adapters. And indeed what you wright about Leica perhaps being afraid of selling less S cameras when FF S adapters become available, because customers might loose an important incentive to buy an S camera, is a very important aspect to consider.

Still, in the end someone will likely make these adapters, and I'd rather have Leica make them.
    - For them to make good money on the adapters and lens sales
    - For us users because of safety reasons. I don't want to fry the internal electronics of my S lenses with an adapter some guy made/reverse engineered back in his garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the other adapters made it pretty obvious how much better the S lenses were than the other equivalents. I know that after I bought the V adapter, I bought the 70, 180 and 45mm S lenses! I thought I could get away with the FE lenses, but after using the 35mm and 120mm S lenses, I realized that the V system lenses were not up to the task. So in that sense, I think making the adapters might not have hurt them.

In general, however, I am with you in hoping that they make it. Or that someone does, if nothing else. If you can get together a group of people, it may be possible to get it done. I found an adapter maker in Poland who did a superb job making FD to E mount adapters, and I am sure that if enough people expressed an interest in physical adapters, there might be a way to get him to make the adaptor. I think all that is needed is a rear lens mount or lens, and the body.

Of course, Leica will do the best job. I hope they consider it, but I am not holding my breath!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd sure be interested in such in adapter.

Since this is an image thread, here's a picture I made yesterday with my new 24mm (what a lens!)
    I'm in The Hague this week, the town where I grew up. Made this picture for sentimental reasons. My friend, who passed away, used to live right there above the stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Leica just needs to lower the price point on their S-systems (and I don't mean by introducing S-E cameras).

That'll give people more confidence in the brand, and will in turn increase lens sales. Even with the M-system, that would be a good strategy. Why buy a M240 then not put Leica lenses on it (people buy ZM and CV but eventually turn to Leica). So give them confidence by making the camera bodies cheaper (the things that need to be upgraded every few years) and they'll continue to buy your lenses (lenses I'm willing to spend $$ on, as I know they'll last).

Better idea then making an adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    I'd sure be interested in such in adapter.

Since this is an image thread, here's a picture I made yesterday with my new 24mm (what a lens!)
    I'm in The Hague this week, the town where I grew up. Made this picture for sentimental reasons. My friend, who passed away, used to live right there above the stores.
    Isn't that Brussels City center, les galleries de la Reine ?
    Or do they have that exact same place in Den Haag ?

+1 for an adapter, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another S(006) gig shot from the pit - this time my friend, Wilko Johnson in his comeback gig after major cancer surgery.

For more, see my Blog and gallery
    Charlie Chan | "It feels like the last 12 months haven't happened. It feels just like normal..."

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

how do you guys use the Auto-ISO ?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I often choose max exp 1/250 and max iso 800.
    In low light I usually choose my Iso manually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't! I like a bit more control with the S. Generally I am at ISO 100 all the time, but when I need to raise it, it is usually all the way to 800 or 1600. I don't really think of the S as a low light camera, which is a bit ironic since I use it for so much night photography! It is great if you let it soak up the light, but I have not found much reason to raise the ISO unless I am stuck inside photographing people.

The photo below was taken at ISO 100...for 90 seconds at f5.6.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Isn't that Brussels City center, les galleries de la Reine ?
    Or do they have that exact same place in Den Haag ?

+1 for an adapter, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Cheers
    Thanks anGy, yes I'm pretty sure it's The Hague:

Passage - DenHaag.com

I know that around the Fin de siθcle these kind of places were built all over Europe.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

S-006 + 120APO:
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I always set a manual ISO.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually 100ISO in the sun, 400ISO in the shade, 800ISO at dusk.. And then I stop shooting.
    (The above shot was 800ISO at dusk, FYI.)

My aperture stays at 2.5 mainly (for both lenses 70/120). And I just change the shutter speed as needed. An exposure that falls below 250th, I up the ISO (until I hit 800 ISO and its still to dark at 250th, then I go down to 125th and use good holding techniques).

I think it's also good to note that I'd shoot and then brighten in post. Rather shoot dark frames then blow out highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually 100ISO in the sun, 400ISO in the shade, 800ISO at dusk.. And then I stop shooting.
    (The above shot was 800ISO at dusk, FYI.)

My aperture stays at 2.5 mainly (for both lenses 70/120). And I just change the shutter speed as needed. An exposure that falls below 250th, I up the ISO (until I hit 800 ISO and its still to dark at 250th, then I go down to 125th and use good holding techniques).

I think it's also good to note that I'd shoot and then brighten in post. Rather shoot dark frames then blow out highlights.
    I only use manual ISO with all cameras I use.
    I usually shoot the S2 at max ISO320.
    Anything I need a higher ISO I underexpose the shot (using exposure compensation for metering) and push in post processing.

When using different push speeds, I separate each series of shots with a blank frame so I it is easy to apply a quick push in Lightroom to each set.
    I find highlights blowing so fast with higher ISO on the S2, that pushing shadows + noise reduction in software often leads to better output than using higher ISO in camera with the S2.
    Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | facebook

Post Thanks / Like

menos - This is also the case for the S-006 (and M9). And even to some extent the M240 so probably the S-007.

Post Thanks / Like

No basically I shot for 2 hours. It happened twice in the first 15 minutes and then twice at the one hour mark. Then didn't happen again. Same area of the frame, but varying degrees of that green.

I'm guessing it's memory card related. I have the newest Sandisk SD cards 32gb. Shooting raw + jpg. I also have the CF cards in 64gb but I didn't have them in my camera at the time, because I left my CF card reader in Singapore :P

Will send the files off to Leica, see what they have to say. After my lens incident, I'm not impressed. **** happens, so let's hope it's isolated.
    Adam, I had the same issue with the S (006). After about 15 frames, every one after that has magenta streaks at Regular intervals throughout every image. Was dual writing to an SD card as well and the jpgs recorded are perfect. any answer to your issue from Leica?
    Does anyone know how to record DNGs to both cards?

Post Thanks / Like

The S will only record DNG to one channel. Unfortunate, but true.

It will however record DNGs to the SD card if there is no CF card present.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Adam, I had the same issue with the S (006). After about 15 frames, every one after that has magenta streaks at Regular intervals throughout every image. Was dual writing to an SD card as well and the jpgs recorded are perfect. any answer to your issue from Leica?
    Does anyone know how to record DNGs to both cards?
    Leica made me send them back my camera. They sent me a new one. Told me this problem with a fault with the sensor and circuit board that connects to the sensor.
    I had a lot of problems with Leica N.J., but Leica Germany made it right.
    And no, there is no way to do DNG x2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    The S will only record DNG to one channel. Unfortunate, but true.

It will however record DNGs to the SD card if there is no CF card present.

Gary
    Yes true... But the real question is: Does it record the DNG then make a jpg from the CF card DNG to place on the SD card. Or does it make a DNG and a JPG simultaneously using difference processors.

As in, could you really call the JPG a "just in case" backup?
    I've asked Leica this a few times, the best I got was "I will check" and nobody has ever really clarified.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I had some 400 files corrupted in a similar way.
    Not sure whether I should approach Leica ? Some examples. The JPGs are fine, the RAWs are corrupted.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it makes the JPEG from the DNG. However, when I had 660 disrupted files, it was only the DNG files on the CF card that were ruined. The Jpegs on the SD card were fine.

I can't see the benefit of storing both file types on a single card. Too high a risk of losing the card, imo.

Gary
    Gary, did you approach Leica too?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, after the second occasion when I lost 68 images, but thankfully recognised the issue straight away.

Leica Service couldn't reproduce it. By then, I'd had the 64gb card replaced by Sandisk. In fact they swapped the card for two of the same, which was pleasing, but that left me with legs across the canyon. :-)
    So they did not change the sensor or the board?
    Interspersed between the corrupted images, one or two RAWs are fine, which makes me wonder whether its the circuitry to the CF component that is defective.
    Have asked the dealer what the action should be.
    .....to be continued....