The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

woodyspedden

Better to be the Grandparent now than the Parent ... I still remember zero sleep and poopy diapers :ROTFL:

-Marc
Having had four children of my own, I too am glad to be the Grandparents. I didn't mind the poopy bit too much but the sleep deprivation was horrendous.

Woody

GMB

Nice shots Tom, particularly #2.

Here are 3 from last weekend. #1&2 with the 70mm and # 3 with the 35 (slight vignetting added in pp).

And here are a couple more of our dog.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Woody and Tom. Never underestimate the power of family 'snaps' as they end up being familial history over time. Lovely shots.

GMB, wonderful colors.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here are a few more photojournalistic shots from the continued labor protests in Madison, Wisconsin yesterday.

woodyspedden

Woody and Tom. Never underestimate the power of family 'snaps' as they end up being familial history over time. Lovely shots.

GMB, wonderful colors.
Kurt

I totally agree with you on this. Landscapes do not change very much over the years and in some cases over the eons! But the children don't remain children for very long so capturing them during their lifetimes is truly an art. And then they get the prints and show them to their children and (hopefully) continue the tradition.

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
I love candid family shots. Been going through some old photos of the kids and it makes me nostalgic for the good old days when they listened to me :)

Kurt, I think this last batch you've posted is exceptional. I think you raised the bar for yourself with these. The shot of the Native American and the flag is fantastic...

Paratom

Georg,
I much like the first one, and the one with your wet dog.
Kurt,
looking at your images one really feels like being there on location.

I've been away the last few days and only been able to check in using my iPad from time to time. There have been some really good photos posted in that time.

David, I really enjoyed your photo of Morgan and look forward to you sharing more of her.

Woody, the photos of your grandson are memorable. Your pride shows through your photos.

Tom, as I have said before, I love to see photos of your daughter because she seems so happy it makes me smile. I particularly liked the photo of your wife and baby in this series.

Georg, the first photo is my favorite due to its simplicity and composition.

Kurt, this set of photos is your strongest yet of the Madison, Wisconsin protests.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Great stuff guys! I've been off the grid for a few days and just checked in.

Georg, I love these landscapes. Very clean and pure. Love the green and blues. My favorites are the first two.

Woody, the first weeks are amazing as they change so much, so fast. It's a great time to record and you're doing an excellent job.

Kurt, I agree with the other comments. These shots of the protests are fantastic. The color and separation are just incredible. They just pop off the screen. If I crank the AC way, way down I might feel like I was actually there. Although, right now I'm in Rochester, NY and it's pretty cold and snowing, so I guess I could just bring the laptop outside... ;)

Tom, your daughter is very cute. Really like how you capture her playfulness. Also, as Spring approaches, it seems like you are getting that really nice light too.

CEH, your mountain vistas continue to impress and inspire. I am in awe of the beautiful serenity and that you manage to continue to capture it so well.

Mark, I wish I made it up to the Cavalino Classic with you guys. Even with the overcast weather, you got some real winners. I know Josh is drooling over that white 458 Italia.

Marc, nice studio work. Perfectly lit and very clean. I like hearing how the camera works very well in high-pressure situations from people who really push it like you do.

David K, one of these days, I will have to come shooting with you and Andre, just like old times. Really nice shot of Morgan. Great composition and lighting.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing more. :thumbs:

David

fotografz

Great stuff guys! I've been off the grid for a few days and just checked in.

Georg, I love these landscapes. Very clean and pure. Love the green and blues. My favorites are the first two.

Woody, the first weeks are amazing as they change so much, so fast. It's a great time to record and you're doing an excellent job.

Kurt, I agree with the other comments. These shots of the protests are fantastic. The color and separation are just incredible. They just pop off the screen. If I crank the AC way, way down I might feel like I was actually there. Although, right now I'm in Rochester, NY and it's pretty cold and snowing, so I guess I could just bring the laptop outside... ;)

Tom, your daughter is very cute. Really like how you capture her playfulness. Also, as Spring approaches, it seems like you are getting that really nice light too.

CEH, your mountain vistas continue to impress and inspire. I am in awe of the beautiful serenity and that you manage to continue to capture it so well.

Mark, I wish I made it up to the Cavalino Classic with you guys. Even with the overcast weather, you got some real winners. I know Josh is drooling over that white 458 Italia.

Marc, nice studio work. Perfectly lit and very clean. I like hearing how the camera works very well in high-pressure situations from people who really push it like you do.

David K, one of these days, I will have to come shooting with you and Andre, just like old times. Really nice shot of Morgan. Great composition and lighting.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing more. :thumbs:

David
Thanks David, I was very pleased with the whole tethered operation ... never once had to reboot or anything (like has happened in past with other finicky FW systems).

At first I was put off by the proprietary USB connection at the camera that precluded use of any other easily available USB cord , but quickly saw the wisdom of it compared to jinky connections on MFD backs and 35mm DSLR cameras ... which has always been an issue while tethered. I'll just get a spare S2 tether cord as back-up.

What would be interesting is trying a powered USB hub to see if the tethered length can be increased for larger studio environments and bigger sets. Another 10' to 15' perhaps?

Speaking of studio work, my S120 Macro is supposed to arrive here today ... and the first thing I'm going to do is shoot my typical automotive fabric assignment and compare it to recent ones with the same fabric done with the HC120 Marco on a H2F CF/39 Multi-Shot AND the big gun H4D/60 ... I want to see just how much the Leica optics brings to the party ;)

-Marc

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Thanks David, I was very pleased with the whole tethered operation ... never once had to reboot or anything (like has happened in past with other finicky FW systems).

At first I was put off by the proprietary USB connection at the camera that precluded use of any other easily available USB cord , but quickly saw the wisdom of it compared to jinky connections on MFD backs and 35mm DSLR cameras ... which has always been an issue while tethered. I'll just get a spare S2 tether cord as back-up.

What would be interesting is trying a powered USB hub to see if the tethered length can be increased for larger studio environments and bigger sets. Another 10' to 15' perhaps?

Speaking of studio work, my S120 Macro is supposed to arrive here today ... and the first thing I'm going to do is shoot my typical automotive fabric assignment and compare it to recent ones with the same fabric done with the HC120 Marco on a H2F CF/39 Multi-Shot AND the big gun H4D/60 ... I want to see just how much the Leica optics brings to the party ;)

-Marc
Marc,

We use a 16' active USB extension cord and it works great. We put a little gaff tape around the connection between the extension cord's female socket and the male end of Leica cord as there is no lock on standard USB. We've used this setup on quite a few professional shoots and it worked perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U0...6QJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300112155&sr=8-1

They make them longer, too.

Very true about the reliability. Digital techs have been extremely impressed with the robustness of the S2's tethering. They are amazed that you can connect/disconnect without power cycling the camera and/or computer. Really nice when technology just works the way its supposed to. :thumbup:

A proprietary cable is a small price to pay for not having a loose FW cord bring the shoot to a screeching halt while everyone waits for the tech to reboot the Mac Pro (the fastest computers seem to take the longest to boot, too). Not a happy scenario, but a common one.

David

fotografz

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Ssshhh, Marc! Don't post any of the good stuff until I can find a copy. ;)

On a serious note, does anyone know where I can currently find a copy of the lens? I have my name on a list ... but it might be awhile before I make it to the top.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments, Mark and David.

Doug, it's very likely that I saw your nephew. There were quite a few photographers positioned all around the capitol.

GMB

All--Thanks for the comments on my shots. There is some really good stuff from everyone here.

Kurt, Your street shots are very inspiring. I assume some of them are shot with the 180 which also produced Mark's awesome bird shot. So that is very tempting and I was almost thinking of canceling my order for the 120 (which I have no idea when it will show up) and pick up the 180 that is sitting in my dealer's shop. But them Marc posts this...

...and I knew that I could not possibly not get this lens. So may be both???

Anyway, I am still experimenting and learning with the beast. Here is a shot of my favorite model, wife, best friend, and patient victim and supporter of my photographic endeavors :thumbup:. Shot with the 70 handheld, not cropped (I would crop it for a print).

Georg

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Georg,

Yes indeed, several of the shots were with the 180. It provides an excellent amount of separation between subject and background. The 70mm shot you just posted shows off that lens very well. It's interesting how that shot has a DMR type of look to it.

Kurt

You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

This is cruel and unusual treatment.