Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 2463

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Two using the S100/2 Summicron, available light only:

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photogr...n3jD&lb=1&s=X3

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photogr...R226&lb=1&s=X3

For comparison, one using the Hasselblad HC100/2.2 with fill flash: (in some cases, the Hassey 100 lens exhibits more CA than the Leica 100/2).

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photogr...zXn4&lb=1&s=X3

One using the CS120/2.5 with Profoto lighting:

http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Photogr...nJkv&lb=1&s=X3

- Marc
    Thanks Marc!

I did see those nice 100S photos of yours. Made me wanna investigate the lens further. Haven't seen to many shots after those ones, not a lot of people shoot natural light shots with it? I'm actually surprised Leica hasn't really offered up samples. What's with their S marketing team?

Anyway, thanks again for posting these, and the comparison. I use to own the hassy lens, but sold it with the kit way before buying into the S-system. Shame, it's a nice lens adapted to the S!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have a bunch of sample images on their website...
    http://us.leica-camera.com/Photograp...-2-ASPH/Images
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post

Not really the kind of shots I'm looking to get w/this lens. It's troubling as I'm not sure if it's that the lens isn't what I want, or if it's just that the samples don't put across the things I'm looking for.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    Not really the kind of shots I'm looking to get w/this lens. It's troubling as I'm not sure if it's that the lens isn't what I want, or if it's just that the samples don't put across

Thanks for the heads up though.
    Understandable reaction to the Leica samples. IMO, they convey Leica's somewhat directional skew for the S as a professional fashion photography camera.

I have quite a bit of imagery done with the S100/2 most of it used wide open in available light unfortunately, they are on a hard drive I left in Florida when I abruptly had to return to Michigan for a family emergency.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your statement "the things I'm looking for"?

I can tell you what I was looking for from the S100/2

when I chose the Hasselblad H system, one key deciding factor was their HC100/2.2 however the drawback was that the top shutter speed was 1/800 due to being a leaf-shutter system. That made it more difficult to shoot it wide open in bright light. When I adapted the HC100/2.2 to the S camera, I then could shoot it either leaf-shutter to 1/750 on the S2 and sync with studio lights, or up to 1/4000 using the FPS setting on the S2. When Leica offered the S100/2 I decided to get it and sell the HC100/2.2 in order to have more consistency amongst the S lenses.

The drawback of the S100/2 is that it is not a leaf-shutter lens so I can't sync up 1/1000 in the studio but in practice I tend to use the CS120/2.5 for most studio work (product and portraits) or the CS70/2.5 for more full length shots.
    So, the S100/2 has become my "normal" lens on the S(006) and coupled with the CS35/2.5 or CS45/2.8, my most used walk-about kit for street, travel, events, places of interest, and available light portrait lens. I'll be carrying it to the "Woodward Dream Cruise" this week-end which is always a treasure trove of interesting people, and of course, all sorts of cars.

The best way I can describe the characteristics of the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH. In focus areas are quite defined with a nice gentle fall-off to unfocused areas and backgrounds dissolve to a beautiful bokeh.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH."
    Careful Marc, you might open some wallets with words like that...
    Regarding the samples, I agree that the fashion ones are not to my taste...I like the Jakob DeBoer images, but the chosen processing doesn't really help show the lens characteristics very well...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoyed the 100 examples Marc - I think the Greek Captain shot is an especially wonderful editorial type portrait.... I am trying to avoid opening dusty wallet on a 35 and the 100...taking the grip off the S has made it a lot easier to use as a walk around...

Cheers
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable reaction to the Leica samples. IMO, they convey Leica's somewhat directional skew for the S as a professional fashion photography camera.

I have quite a bit of imagery done with the S100/2 most of it used wide open in available light unfortunately, they are on a hard drive I left in Florida when I abruptly had to return to Michigan for a family emergency.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your statement "the things I'm looking for"?

I can tell you what I was looking for from the S100/2

when I chose the Hasselblad H system, one key deciding factor was their HC100/2.2 however the drawback was that the top shutter speed was 1/800 due to being a leaf-shutter system. That made it more difficult to shoot it wide open in bright light. When I adapted the HC100/2.2 to the S camera, I then could shoot it either leaf-shutter to 1/750 on the S2 and sync with studio lights, or up to 1/4000 using the FPS setting on the S2. When Leica offered the S100/2 I decided to get it and sell the HC100/2.2 in order to have more consistency amongst the S lenses.

The drawback of the S100/2 is that it is not a leaf-shutter lens so I can't sync up 1/1000 in the studio but in practice I tend to use the CS120/2.5 for most studio work (product and portraits) or the CS70/2.5 for more full length shots.
    So, the S100/2 has become my "normal" lens on the S(006) and coupled with the CS35/2.5 or CS45/2.8, my most used walk-about kit for street, travel, events, places of interest, and available light portrait lens. I'll be carrying it to the "Woodward Dream Cruise" this week-end which is always a treasure trove of interesting people, and of course, all sorts of cars.

The best way I can describe the characteristics of the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH. In focus areas are quite defined with a nice gentle fall-off to unfocused areas and backgrounds dissolve to a beautiful bokeh.

- Marc
    I think the 75APO has to be one of my favourite M lenses for rendering. Though I find that it has a strong veiling flare if shot in certain lighting conditions that will cause a huge decrease in contrast. And will reduce the foggy out of focus areas this making the rendering a bit flat (for lack of a better word). But in the right light conditions, I love the 75APO and am very pleased with its character.

So this is good news at least. I've seen a few test shots now, but my worry is still the bokeh. I really don't like plastic bokeh or anything that remotely resembles it (Sigma Art series are bad offenders, Sony and Sony/Zeiss lenses have it. As well the Otus lenses seem to exhibit it to my eye in certain situations). In the images from the studio, I couldn't really tell the lenses character, and the processing that was done to the outdoor Leica sample shots seem to have stripped the character from the lens. Or maybe it's the way he shot, that's what I'm trying to find out.
    I'm perfectly fine with the rendering of the 70S and 120S, though I find the 120S can be a slight bit plastic in the bokeh in urban areas.

I guess I'm curious about the fall off, and bokeh characteristics at vertical half body and chest to head with a bit of breathing room above. So maybe 2m-1m zone. And then probably slightly wider then half body horizontal crops.

Also wondering how the focus speed compares to the 70S. And the ease of nailing focus wide open on a S-006?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems that you have very specific tastes and performance criteria which may only be answered by testing the lens yourself.

- Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that you have very specific tastes and performance criteria which may only be answered by testing the lens yourself.

- Marc
    Usually I can tell if I'm going to like a lens.. But it takes quite a few sample images for me to get an idea of what it'll do for me.

Seems like it might be the case though, since not many people have the lens, or post images with it
    Will have to wait till I'm back in the states, and then I'll rent. Was hoping to get it this week or next. Wanted to bring it with me to Korea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HardingeA4.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    HardingeA4.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr
    Nice to see you on these pages ... seems like a wee bit since you last graced us with your pictures ... or I have been remiss in following this closely enough.

And I love the Hardinge ... from a different age ... more akin to the S series than the mirrorless wonders.

Warm regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

PeterA - Is that a lathe? I bought one a while back, made a calligraphy pen for the wife. Satisfied I had learned (scratched the surface of) something new, sold off the machine. Wouldn't mind taking classes or something, but don't think I'd want the tools in my garage as they'd for the most part go unused

Oh and when the wife complained I was buying big tools.. I mentioned the literal elephant in the room our Heidelberg windmill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Nice to see you on these pages ... seems like a wee bit since you last graced us with your pictures ... or I have been remiss in following this closely enough.

And I love the Hardinge ... from a different age ... more akin to the S series than the mirrorless wonders.

Warm regards,

Bob
    Thank you for your welcoming word Bob - yes it has been a while since I have posted on line, I am semi retired these days and pretty much living at my farm and avoiding my CBD office as much as possible! I have built a new farm house and have done a lot of heavy machinery landscaping ...very fulfilling and enjoyable dirty hands work....photography has take a back seat apart from some snaps as above...

the Hardinge is a very special machine - I also have a 1960's era heavy duty Okuma lathe I purchased from Boeing - like the Hardinge, manual machinery which was made to standards of engineering and materials that the world no longer affords- all good stuff for the home enthusiast I am pleased to say.

I will post more snaps - my enthusiasm for photography has returned as it always does after a period of 'staleness' I guess. I am totally gobsmacked ( but not surprised) to see the changes in camera technology emerging. Still you are right - the (now) old S2 keeps on pumping out quality straight out of the box with no fuss. Can't see any reason to buy newer MF gear- the Sony's of teh world are leapfrogging them as I always expected they would. I might spring for a new ( to e anyway) Leica M240 and replace my M9 for happy snaps - any view on this?

Hope you are well and thanks for saying hello.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PeterA - Is that a lathe? I bought one a while back, made a calligraphy pen for the wife. Satisfied I had learned (scratched the surface of) something new, sold off the machine. Wouldn't mind taking classes or something, but don't think I'd want the tools in my garage as they'd for the most part go unused

Oh and when the wife complained I was buying big tools.. I mentioned the literal elephant in the room our Heidelberg windmill.
    Hi there aDam007 yes it is a lathe - one of the best ever tool room lathes made - good old American know how...as presented it doesn't have the collet closer or a chuck mounted so that may have confused you - you ar just looking at the beautiful Hardinge taper spindle 'nose' there - tel your wife a man can't have enough tools mate.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there aDam007 yes it is a lathe - one of the best ever tool room lathes made - good old American know how...as presented it doesn't have the collet closer or a chuck mounted so that may have confused you - you ar just looking at the beautiful Hardinge taper spindle 'nose' there - tel your wife a man can't have enough tools mate.

-Pete
    Awesome, you should take some S-images of things you've made with it!
    And yeah, I agree about the tools!

BTW, bought a 100 Summicron-S. Will be busy this weekend but will probably bring it with me for a wedding I'm shooting in Korea if I feel like lugging the S-system w/me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome, you should take some S-images of things you've made with it!
    And yeah, I agree about the tools!

BTW, bought a 100 Summicron-S. Will be busy this weekend but will probably bring it with me for a wedding I'm shooting in Korea if I feel like lugging the S-system w/me.
    DSC00645.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr

Sorry no pics of made objects with S2 - here is one from a Sony A7R - a simple knurled knob was required and made...note that I have made a joke of the tooling set up for any afficionado -:0
    -Pete

PS enjoy your wedding and see if you can post some back room shots of a cute bridesmaid to post and put a smile on all our dials using your 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry no pics of made objects with S2 - here is one from a Sony A7R - a simple knurled knob was required and made...note that I have made a joke of the tooling set up for any afficionado -:0
    -Pete

PS enjoy your wedding and see if you can post some back room shots of a cute bridesmaid to post and put a smile on all our dials using your 100.
    Haha, will do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chardonnay grapes ripening in early morning light. Shot with the 180.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	94206
    Al Tanabe
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Veraison, maturing grapes turning from green to purple, merlot grapes in Yountville, Napa Valley.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	578.7 KB 
ID:	94207 120 macro
    Al Tanabe
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tokyo in August
    S006+S24mm

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tokyo Sky Tree
    S006+S24mm

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tokyo from Sky Tree
    S100

Post Thanks / Like

Enoshima
    S24 + Progrey ND10

- - - Updated - - -

From Mori Towers at Roppongi Hills
    S24
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

http://issuu.com/dailyfrontrow/docs/...ummer_07142015

Cover and cover story shot with the Leica S 006 S70 S100 CS120 and the S180.

Cover plus pages 55 through 72 are all shot with the S, page 67 is the S with S100 mounted.

Ciao,
    G
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    http://issuu.com/dailyfrontrow/docs/...ummer_07142015

Cover and cover story shot with the Leica S 006 S70 S100 CS120 and the S180.

Cover plus pages 55 through 72 are all shot with the S, page 67 is the S with S100 mounted.

Ciao,
    G

NICE!
    If you will.. What lens?
    Right side of page 57 so 58 (three ppl shot)
    Left side of 63 (two ppl posed)
    Right side of page 71 so 72 (girl sitting down)

Thanks!

BTW, you tend to have pretty close lenses specifically 80 and 96.. Do you find them to close? And when do you use one over the other? Why would you choose one over the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Page 55/56 is shot with the S70 lens at about f5.6 for the extended DoF.
    Page 57 and page 58 are both the excellent S180 stopped down one click or open.
    Page 63 is the S180. Page 64 is the S100 stopped down for DoF.
    Page 71 & 72 are both the S180.
    I tend to use the lens that suits the situation, but I always try to use the lens that will make the photo most compelling and dramatic photo.

I'm happy that you liked the photos.
    Ciao,
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Page 55/56 is shot with the S70 lens at about f5.6 for the extended DoF.
    Page 57 and page 58 are both the excellent S180 stopped down one click or open.
    Page 63 is the S180. Page 64 is the S100 stopped down for DoF.
    Page 71 & 72 are both the S180.
    I tend to use the lens that suits the situation, but I always try to use the lens that will make the photo most compelling and dramatic photo.

I'm happy that you liked the photos.
    Ciao,
    Photos were really nice.. Seems I like the 180S

Post Thanks / Like

Leica S 006 + 100S lens
    ISO 200
    F 2.4
    1/500th

Shot in full shade, mid day sunny skies.
    This lens is fascinating to me, it actually delivers as promised.

PS, There is no retouching here, just a processed file out of camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D2122780_web.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	597.7 KB 
ID:	94710  
    Last edited by Giorgio; 1st September 2015 at 07:27. Reason: info
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Leica S 006 + 100S lens
    ISO 200
    F 2.4
    1/500th

Shot in full shade, mid day sunny skies.
    This lens is fascinating to me, it actually delivers as promised.

PS, There is no retouching here, just a processed file out of camera.

Nice shot.. The 100S is growing on me the more I use it. Much like the 120APO did, but the 100S love is growing at a much slower rate.
    Now I need to decide between the 35S and 45S..

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot.. The 100S is growing on me the more I use it. Much like the 120APO did, but the 100S love is growing at a much slower rate.
    Now I need to decide between the 35S and 45S..
    Adam,

i have been reading your review and comments of the S 007 with great interest. Do you find the S100 to be as sharp as the 120APO? How accurate was the autofocus on the S-100 with the new camera?

im debating getting back in to the S platform as the CMOS tech seems to open up the usability in natural lighting more so than I experienced with the S 006.

Thanks,
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddanois View Post
    Adam,

i have been reading your review and comments of the S 007 with great interest. Do you find the S100 to be as sharp as the 120APO? How accurate was the autofocus on the S-100 with the new camera?

im debating getting back in to the S platform as the CMOS tech seems to open up the usability in natural lighting more so than I experienced with the S 006.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Hi Derek,

Sent you a PM in response to your PM.
    Hope it helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Very much so! Thanks for taking the time to send such a thoughtful reply.

Best!

Post Thanks / Like

guys this thread is not moving forward...

Catching the snake

S2 + S-180

Mark
    Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marek.dvorsky.9

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Mark, I've been really busy and had little time for just enjoying walking about with the camera. I grabbed an hour this morning, really stormy, rainy and generally miserable out, perfect! Nothing special I'm afraid, just handheld grab shot.

Autumn has also fully settled in here, soon be snowing.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon

A little light aurora in the sky last night so testing high ISO on the 007, it's pretty amazing. Only a test shot but for ISO1600 at 8 seconds this is pretty good.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Afternoon

A little light aurora in the sky last night so testing high ISO on the 007, it's pretty amazing. Only a test shot but for ISO1600 at 8 seconds this is pretty good.

beautiful. which lens did you use?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's the 24mm, I was going to try the 35 at f2.5 to see what the extra light would do but the results at 800 and 1600 on the 24 at 3.5 are so good I didn't bother. I have to say that even though there is obviously going to be noise on these exposures, it is very fine and there is just no loss of detail, it really is quite amazing. These were very mild aurora, visible to the eye but nowhere near as strong as we get here most of the time, I think a strong display will see shots at 1 or 2 seconds long and should be excellent.

Are you still resisting??

Here's one from earlier on in the evening before the clouds came in heavier..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful images!
    I have checked out the S007 this afternoon for some time. I have to say that the possibility to shoot up to ISO1600 with good detail does expand the possibilities/flexibility of the system. The high DR would be welcome as well.

Post Thanks / Like

A little more aurora here tonight, still getting to grips with the 007 but it captures really good images at night.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Evening!

I'm finding the 007 just brilliant for aurora shots, this quick grab from the centre of the bridge over the river just down the road from my house, balanced on the roof of the car, 2 second delay and captured a corona.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant shot of the aurora Mat! Like to previous shots too.
    Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Morning

Here's some more normal higher ISO shots, was asked to shoot some portraits at an old peoples home, very dark and they weren't very mobile so just natural light from a small window. Brilliant faces! These at ISO 800 pushed a stop in post, I even added a little grain, very clean files.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeeze Mat, it looks like you could reach in and take those glasses right off her face.

Wow!

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Sun and shades!

1960s at Goodwood Revival last month

S(006) 280/4 APO-R with 1.4x APO

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mat, great looking 3D portraits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aCIDfire View Post
    Wow Mat, great looking 3D portraits
    Thanks, they're at ISO 800!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a new lens, the 45S. It's a pretty cool lens. It tends to lean more to yellow/green. Something new sensors do. And something new lenses do (oddly enough). I find the color cast is reminiscent of newer M lenses (50APO aside). It reminds me of the 35FLE color wise. But in a S-way. I still find the color/tones of the 35/70/120 to be more pleasing then the 45/100 but the 45/100 has a really interesting look that I can't escape. So I guess I'll have to own more then less

Originally was planning on either 45/100 or 35/70/120 for my final kit. Now I don't know...

Leica S + 45S
    (cropped images)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Originally was planning on either 45/100 or 35/70/120 for my final kit. Now I don't know...
    So now you have the same problem like me, besides I din't find the color difference so significant, more a question of focal lengths combinations for me.
    Looking forward to further findings when you have used the lenses for some time.
    Last edited by Paratom; 13th October 2015 at 04:08.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    So now you have the same problem like me, besides I din't find the color difference so significant, more a question of focal lengths combinations for me.
    Looking forward to further findings when you have used the lenses for some time.

The problem we've been discussing on email about which lenses to keep, will not be solved easily. I can see two solutions.

1) I keep ALL the lenses and eventually realise some get neglected more then others (and I try and WILL myself to sell them).

2) I pick based on FL alone. Which would be 45/100 or 35/70/120. Both sets have pros and cons. But those are the groupings I would choose. I wouldn't do anything funny like mixing and matching, and I don't see a need for the other lenses.

I'm also having the same problem with my M-lens lineup BTW. Maybe the SL will help make my decision easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you tried the zoom? I was thinking that with the high ISO performance of the 007 it could be a very good solution and I'd probably keep it on the camera all the time! I love the 24mm as I am starting to do a fair bit of architecture interiors here and it's a very good fl, I also use the 180 more than any other lens, it's my favourite portrait fl. As it is I have the 24, 35, 70 and 180 and it covers everything I want to do commercially and for fun but the zoom is interesting.

Mat