Site Sponsors
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 2464

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

I've been temped by the idea of selling my 45 and 70 for the 30-90mm.
    Never used this zoom personaly. The owners feedback is variable, from brilliant at 30 to 70mm to clearly weaker than the 70 prime at f5.6. It looks like the zoom is a very good option for wide angle as we mostly shoot at f8 to f16 anyway. But if you're used to your 70mm you will have hard time selling it for the zoom.

I stopped thinking about the zoom when I realized that a D810 + 24/70mm (new version soon) is half the cost of this lens. A D810 + 24/70mm is also 30% lighter than a S + 30-90mm. If some flexibility is needed I'd prefer this option.

Post Thanks / Like

anGy: I´d go in 2-3 primes rather than 30-90 which is bulky and "only" f/3.5-5.6

Autumn mood with Hassy 100 and S2..

Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marek.dvorsky.9
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Any of you tried the zoom? I was thinking that with the high ISO performance of the 007 it could be a very good solution and I'd probably keep it on the camera all the time! I love the 24mm as I am starting to do a fair bit of architecture interiors here and it's a very good fl, I also use the 180 more than any other lens, it's my favourite portrait fl. As it is I have the 24, 35, 70 and 180 and it covers everything I want to do commercially and for fun but the zoom is interesting.

Mat

Non-scientific. But every time I see an image from the zoom, I like it. I'd pick one up if I could get over the speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the zoom for a while but sold it and now I use the 45 and 70 lenses, within that range. Main reasons: (a) the primes are faster (was especially important with the S2, now with my S007 is less of a consideration), (b) my primes are the CS versions (starting to use that functionality with the fantastic Profoto B1 strobe heads), (c) the zoom has a 95 mm filter thread (shared with the 24mm but not with other S lenses), (d) as with all zooms, the hood has to be wide enough not to cause vignetting at the widest setting which makes it more or less useless at the longest setting.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16-C-1000480.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	520.4 KB 
ID:	113274

Mat,
    I use the zoom quite a bit and am happy to do so. Interestingly, I used to avoid zooms on other systems as I found I would go to either extreme focal length versus in between. But on the S, the 30-90 zoom is my standard lens and great for walking around. Not that much bigger or heavier than the other prime lenses.

1. There are some shots that require precise choice of focal length and one cannot move forward or backward. In this shot, I was shooting from one balcony to another so no way to move closer or farther away without walking on air.

2. In the wet or in dust, I don't have to change lenses. The sensor stays cleaner.

3. The slowness of the zoom is not an issue with the 007 ISO range or with a tripod for the 006.

4. When using filters, you only need one. Very handy when using ND graduated with a polarizer.

5. I use it in place of owning a 70mm. It has also pretty much eliminated my using my first S lens much, the 35mm.

5. No center shutter, but if one is using strobes, one is usually shooting with a prime lens anyway.

6. Going wide to 30mm in interiors, I can see just a bit of distortion on straight lines at the very edge, but usually when shooting interiors, I have switched to my 24mm. Outdoors, I cannot detect any distortion on wide or any other focal length. The shot shown here is about 55mm, and the lines are straight.

7. I switch to my 120 when shooting portraits seriously so I can best control DOF to get out of focus backgrounds.

So my set up is a 24mm for super wide, the zoom, and a 120mm. The 35mm, sits at home now. The cost of a zoom is high, but there are enough of them out there that one can save money by purchasing used now. With the zoom, I passed on purchasing the 45mm or the 30mm, and never owned the 70mm.

I hope this is helpful.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jack

Very helpful, thanks! I've never been a zoom user on any system, I like primes and don't care about carrying the weight but the 30-90 is tempting. I've asked my dealer to send me one to try so I'll see. I have 24, 35, 70 and 180, bought the 100 and sold it on, tried the 120 and went back to the 180 as my portrait lens but commercially, almost everything is shot wide, I think I'd use it a lot with the 24 for interiors and stuff, sounds a lot like how you use yours.

Hopefully next week I will have some experience using it and can make an informed decision, thanks again for your input though, good to read how others are using theirs.

Cheers

Mat

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

first go with the 006 and 100S (on trial basis)

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have been tempted several times. But then with the S006 I often shoot my primes in the f2.0-4.0 range, so I am a little afraid that the Zoom might only work for me in very bright light. (I am not a tripod shooter and also often have moving subjects in the image)
    With the S007 (which I dont own) this is maybe less of an issue except I dont know how bokeh compares.
    If the price wasnt so steep I would probably own a 30-90 additionally to the primes and then see over the times if it can replace part of my primes or if I would want boths.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

playing around in my shop; a couple of american lathes, the Monarch is from 1947, the Hardinge from the 60's; two of my favorite machines in frequent use.
    shot with the 006 and the blad 60mm V lens.
    Monarch 10EE

Harding HL, second op lathe with turret
    Last edited by jlm; 18th October 2015 at 13:31.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    playing around in my shop; a couple of american lathes, the Monarch is from 1947, the Hardinge from the 60's; two of my favorite machines in frequent use.
    shot with the 006 and the blad 60mm V lens.
    Monarch 10EE

Harding HL, second op lathe with turret
    Great machines Jim - I am very jealous of your Monarch...never see one down here...how are electrical holding up?
    - Pete

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the early 10EE had a motor-generator powering a variable speed DC drive motor. i used that for a few years, replacing brushes and bearings (I bought the lathe in 1985). eventually put it an inverter frequency control and AC motor. works great. monarchs later had giant DC rectifier tubes; good luck maintaining those.

not to sound greedy, but i have two 10EE's; one in both my NY and CA shops.

now i'm sniffing around for a Hardinge HLVH and maybe a Deckel mill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    the early 10EE had a motor-generator powering a variable speed DC drive motor. i used that for a few years, replacing brushes and bearings (I bought the lathe in 1985). eventually put it an inverter frequency control and AC motor. works great. monarchs later had giant DC rectifier tubes; good luck maintaining those.

not to sound greedy, but i have two 10EE's; one in both my NY and CA shops.

now i'm sniffing around for a Hardinge HLVH and maybe a Deckel mill
    I've posted a pic of my Hardinge previously in this thread - do you want to see my Deckel? Here it is as I was setting up a metal work area in my shed...
    I recently added an OkumaLS I sourced from Boeing here in Australia - a beautiful 1960's example - still smooth as butter...

I've always wanted a Monarch - because I think they are the most beautiful looking lathe - upgrading the electrics is the way to go - I agree the tubes are a turnoff.

DSC00656.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you guys make with those lathes? And John, how are you liking the S?

Here is a rouge cotton ball I found in the East last week.

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can one of you guys (Jim, PeterA), make me a harry potter wand for Halloween?

I tired but gave up. Using a lathe is hard work

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

have always loved the lathe; first project was a brass cannon (of course) about 4" long, made when i was about 8.
    have about 6 now, all sorts, but the old american models, South Bend, Leblond, Monarch and Hardinge are pretty cool, have a nice Cochester as well and a remarkable Okuma CNC lathe that has made many Leica parts and supercharger pulleys (i'm still 8)

and Stuart, i bought the 006 and 100S; was able to carry one around in one hand most of the day, too! still have to fine tune my usage, but am liking it so far. especially handy to slap on the blad v lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Morning!

In a desperate but futile attempt not to have the SL thread at the top of the forum, here's a quick grab shot from my house yesterday, winter is on the doorstep.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another couple from between jobs the other day, a nice old fella in the fog, waiting for restoration..

And winter storage of old boats down by the river, I just liked the scene, nothing special..

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    What do you guys make with those lathes? And John, how are you liking the S?

Hi Stuart I use the lathe and milling machines to make all sorts of tools/repair improve things on motorbikes and farm machinery. Manual machinery is easier to use and faster to use than CNC machinery - for one offs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am envious of your skill! Always good to learn new skills so that you can do things yourself...recently I learned how to truly and properly sharpen knives, so as to keep some nice Japanese knives that I use in the kitchen in top shape, and I also took up sewing so that I could tailor my own shirts and trousers, though I still have a long way to go with that!

In keeping with Mat's idea, here is a photo from the farm where I often stay. This is from last Easter...I got stuck out there for an extra five days after a storm dumped a lot of snow. The road out to the farm is 15km from a town of 20 people, which itself is only accessible via boat or mountain jeep in the winter. I had taken an enormous jeep over the pass that came with supplies for Easter, but they will only drive it in ideal conditions, and the sea was too rough to take a boat, so we had to wait an extra five days before it was safe to get back over the pass. This one is my friend Spóla, who was exploring a bit in the fresh snow while I took pictures. Apologies if I already shared it...I can never remember. I do not share many photos online these days! So much work in just taking them...I general only post ones that I publish or have in exhibitions.

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the Test; my absolute favorite mill, in the morning light; gear driven horizontal with overarm support and turntable for X axis. fitted with 3-D digital readouts

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

S 007 S24mm ISO 1600 handheld 1/45, f3.5, cropped down from full frame. 6:45 am.
    I couldn't do this handheld with the 006.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spencer's Grill-.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	766.0 KB 
ID:	113441  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMacD View Post
    S 007 S24mm ISO 1600 handheld 1/45, f3.5, cropped down from full frame. 6:45 am.
    Jack,

How do you like the 007 compared to the 006? I have an 007 on order, but am still curious about any differences in rendering from the 006.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Lawyer View Post
    Jack,

How do you like the 007 compared to the 006? I have an 007 on order, but am still curious about any differences in rendering from the 006.

There is no difference in rendering to my eye for normal 006 stuff. I have the 006 still, and have shot some direct comparisons. But I admit, I have not yet done prints side by side. There is a difference in what I am willing to try to shoot, and capture.
    The extra DR allows me to shoot interiors with natural light, and still have the exterior be exposed correctly. This is a game changer. Oh maybe with less DR on the 006 I could have achieved close to the same after an hour in LR and PS, but I frankly wouldn't have tried. I really wanted more pixels on the 007 for bragging rights, but in truth, I would prefer the DR, since I successfully sold very large prints including 7.5'x5' with the current S resolution.
    The higher ISO is wonderful of course. The buffer never fills, and that helps my shooting better.

David Farkas did a test between the M 9 and the M 240 and no one could tell the difference, except for higher ISO. I would not expect him to bother on the S comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Lawyer View Post
    Jack,

The difference is there. But it's not going to be the same as the difference between the M9 and M240. In real world usage you'll find the S-007 shifts just slightly to the greens (not like the M240). If you manage your orange/yellow skin tones you can shift it a slight bit pink and be fine. Though I was using it in Singapore where the light quality is terrible. So it might not even be so noticeable in other areas of the world.

The JPG files out of the S-006 look better to my eye. It's the contrast. But easily achieved in the S-007 in a click with the curves adjustment. IF that's what you want to do of course.

And of course DF did a comparison between the M9 and M240, and nobody could tell.. You can make almost any file look similar to another file if you have the time and energy (I said similar but not the same). BTW, I did his test and I think I was around 90%+ accurate. I think I messed up on 3-5 images

I'd keep my S-007 pre-order if I were you. Simply speaking, it is a far more responsive camera. You'll get the feeling that Leica has gotten back on track. It's actually one of the reasons I'm so confidently awaiting my SL.

Post Thanks / Like

Morning!

In a desperate but futile attempt not to have the SL thread at the top of the forum, here's a quick grab shot from my house yesterday, winter is on the doorstep.

Brrrr...looks like it would make a nice bw.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. A nice slice of Americana.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat,

Is that from an 007? The pearly light of shots into brightly lit mist or fog really makes my jaw drop on good CCD sensors (Phase backs, M9, or 006). If the 007 can do that, too, then that ends the CCD vs. CMOS debate as far as I'm concerned.

Beautiful!

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 24th October 2015 at 16:08.

Post Thanks / Like

006!

I think that highlight handling on the ccd sensor is what sets it apart ever so slightly.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

David Farkas did a test between the M 9 and the M 240 and no one could tell the difference, except for higher ISO. I would not expect him to bother on the S comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    And of course DF did a comparison between the M9 and M240, and nobody could tell.. You can make almost any file look similar to another file if you have the time and energy (I said similar but not the same). BTW, I did his test and I think I was around 90%+ accurate. I think I messed up on 3-5 images
    I'm am relatively inexperienced, have almost no experience with CCD, and took the Reddot poll with the mindset of choosing the images that I liked the most. In all but two of the images, I chose the M9. Do you think I would still see the difference between post-processed S006 and S007 files?
    La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiTerminator View Post
    I'm am relatively inexperienced, have almost no experience with CCD, and took the Reddot poll with the mindset of choosing the images that I liked the most. In all but two of the images, I chose the M9. Do you think I would still see the difference between post-processed S006 and S007 files?
    Yep, you will see the difference. But I'm not sure if you went about "picking the best" that you would necessarily pick the S-006 over the S-007 on all cases. Though that slightly yellow/green color shift is there. Similar to newer lenses. Funny I wonder what causes it?

Let's put it this way. I'm a lot more comfortable editing S-007 files then I was when I first started editing M240 files. Perhaps because I had all that practice with the M240, and the S-007 is similar.. But I don't think so. I think the S-007 is just more carefully calibrated in camera to produce a more appealing Leica color profile. Whereas the M240 felt sloppy in it's built-in profile.

Though if you ask Leica techs in Germany (as I did). They will tell you the two M cameras are 99% identical in color values. And that the values are so minimally different that you couldn't perceive it with your eye. Or some nonsense like that.. I obviously don't believe them.

Conclusion is.. I think the S-007 is vastly improved in ALL areas. So much so that I don't think color preference will sway you, if you feel the need to upgrade from your current body.

I think I'd keep both cameras. Especially with the used market pricing right now on EVERYTHING photography related.

Post Thanks / Like

DFarkas also suggests purchasers of the 007 who have the 006 just keep both.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

006 100S

Last edited by jlm; 1st November 2015 at 07:48.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

DFarkas also suggests purchasers of the 007 who have the 006 just keep both.
    I would suggest the same if I was selling Leica products

Post Thanks / Like

Some late afternoon family shots... both S2 ISO 640 + Hassy 100/2.2

Leica S2 | S-35,70,120,180 | Hasselblad HC 100/2.2 | Pentax 67 M* 300/4 + 1.4 TC| Mamiya C 55/2.8 N, 80/2.8 N, A 120/4, 150/2.8 D | Sony A7r II + various lenses
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aCIDfire View Post
    Some late afternoon family shots... both S2 ISO 640 + Hassy 100/2.2
    Great shots, are you using an SF 58 as fill ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Great shots, are you using an SF 58 as fill ?
    thx, no flash, only 1m collapsible rounded silver-gold (stripped) reflector from Lastolite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first 2 images taken with my S2 / 70mm
    Now I need some help on deciding which is the next lens I should purchase.
    Primarily landscapes.

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steven, thanks for posting these as I have been looking for 70mm lens shots. Have you thought about perhaps turning #1 into a bw? It's nice and sharp and a good subject for bw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Hey Steven, thanks for posting these as I have been looking for 70mm lens shots. Have you thought about perhaps turning #1 into a bw? It's nice and sharp and a good subject for bw.
    So far really liking the 70, now I wish I could only afford the 45.

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    So far really liking the 70, now I wish I could only afford the 45.

Hi Steven, I would say next lens would be 35mm. But I dont know what you shoot and need.
    I like the images. Best, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 24 and 35, both are excellent landscape lenses depending on what you like, that said, I use the 180 and 70 for landscapes a lot too, I often find myself stitching with the 70mm, it was the first lens I got and used it for everything for 6 months. I shot aurora with the 70 last night, image over on the fun with mf page.

Enjoy the system, it's a great thing to use.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for your input Mat.
    Yeah I am thinking the 180 and the 35 also.
    Really enjoying the S2..
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a bit more processing for the claws...

Post Thanks / Like

Magic in the woods..

Leica S2 + SMC Pentax-M* 67 300/4 ED @ f/4

Post Thanks / Like

Evening!

Here's a couple of very rough edits from the road, yesterday in Iceland with the 007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely! We've been lucky with the weather the past few days... Make sure you stop by for a coffee if you are still around!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stuart! I'm in the North for another week but may have a day in Reykjavik before I fly a week Tuesday so will pop in and say hi. You can have a try with the 007 if you've not already picked one up.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Stuart! I'm in the North for another week but may have a day in Reykjavik before I fly a week Tuesday so will pop in and say hi. You can have a try with the 007 if you've not already picked one up.

Mat
    Sounds good. I would be excited to meet you both (you and the 007)! Just message me if you are around, so I can make sure to be there.

I hope your weather is as clear as ours...

Post Thanks / Like

Borrowed an S007 from local Leica rep last week. Fantastic camera!

Here's one with the 70mm

Name:	JKS03122-2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	114220  

Post Thanks / Like

and one with the 45mm

Name:	JKS03250.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	114221