The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The following pictures were taken at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, Texas with Leica S2-P and Leica S 70 or Pentax P67 55 lens.

Camel

Cessna

Cub

Thanks,

Bob

jonoslack

Jono, wish you could be here with Irakly and I as we screw around with all this stuff ... he's really helpful in working the post possibilities ... more for print than web, which he is less interested in.
He's involved with helping some guy in Florida that has an S2 and is friends with Kaufman, so the camera has his attention ... which is good luck for me ;) Mostly we talk art, photography (not technical stuff), and he picks my brain about advertising and marketing conceptual thinking since he's also doing some of that over in Europe ... all over my mud strong coffee since he's ALWAYS jet lagged :rolleyes:

My bet is that he's an eventual S2 shooter in the making ... we'll see.

-Marc
Oh! I wish I could be there too! - Please give him my very best regards.

All the best

Arif

Arif, wonderful images, so many strong ones. A great sense of person, place, and compositions that read quickly. I'd love to see these images printed large at a gallery show.
Was the entire Myanmar 2011 with the S2, or other systems as well?
Once again, congrats.
John, thank you very much for the kind comment. Most of the pictures were taken with the S2 with a few occasional ones with the M9/D3S. I have been very busy after the earthquake but hope to find time to add more over the long holiday at April end and hope you will come back and visit.

Thanks again,
Arif
www.arifiqball.com

GMB

Bob, David K, Kurt, David M, and Ceh--Very good shots. (Ceh, said to hear that you sold the S2).

Here are some shots from the last weekend. The more I use the camera, the more I like it...

These were in the Halle forest, just outside Brussels.

A 3 shot pano with the 35

A 4 shot pano with the 70

One with the 35

And one with the 70

These are from a walk in the forest near the German border

And finally one from the garden

docmoore

Georg,

I love the forest panos and the 35 shot...the BWs are very good.

Sorry to read about the 120 AF issue...I did a search but did not turn up any good ideas for you. I look forward to you resolving the problem...hope it does not entail a trip to Solms.

Nice to see so good photos from the S2...thought I had scared everyone off with my drivel.....

Bob

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Bob, David, David and Georg, looking good.

Don't worry, Bob, for better or worse you haven't scared me away. Your use of shallow depth of field with the S2 very much appeals to me.

Here are a few more from Death Valley several weeks ago ...

docmoore

Kurt,

What wonderful conditions you had..looks like very little atmospheric haze and little wind...like just after a front had moved through the area clearing it.

I love #s 4, 5 and 6....love to see them in large prints.

Bob

docmoore

Roses are loving the past few days here in Texas....

Peach Rose with S2-P P67 165

Pink Rose S2-P S70

Bob

David K

Workshop Member
Beautiful images guys...please keep posting them. I am sidelined as my S2 is on it's way to Solms for an upgrade to the top LCD.

Bob, I particularly like your image of the fishing lures...something special about that one for me.

fotografz

Here are a couple of shots done while my pal Irakly and I were goofing off in the studio yesterday. We were further testing the S120 Macro, and since neither one of us actually like shooting test charts and brick walls ;), we came up with a few conceptual ideas for studio still shots (a personal forte of mine from my ad man days :cool: ).

First up is one of Irakly's collector's watches: A 1946 Rolex Oyster... one of only six made in rose gold. The concept was simple ... "Time Machine" ... and ironically, 1946 is the year H.G. Wells past away.

The other one I did while Irakly was fussing with the watch shot in post ... a bit of "cheesy" word play so to speak :) ... "To catch the big rats, you need the Chedda" (for those of you living in a social cave, "Chedda" is slang for money, and lots of it ... appropriate for anything to do with the Leica S2 don't you think? ;)). The gold mouse trap is a prop left over from one of my previous commercial shoots.

Lots of fun, and Irakly has finally admitted that the Contax/Zeiss 120/4 may have finally met its match :thumbup:

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Wonderful detail, Marc ... wow.

That golden mousetrap rocks ... it's the perfect metaphor for the S2. Leica certainly has built a better mousetrap ... a 24k mousetrap for the fine gear connoisseur. It's so alluring you hardly notice the sting as the trap springs on your unsuspecting wallet.

Been busy the last several days with just a peek in here a few times. There have been some very good images here recently and a great variety. Bob, you took to the S2 and processing very quickly. Nice clean striking images. George, the wild flowers on the forest floor are great. Kurt, your images make me want to go to Death Valley even more than before. David, lets see some more models. I know your without S2, but I bet you have some more images to share. Marc, your still life images are excellent. I can imagine how good the images look at full resolution.

Kurt, David, and Marc.

fotografz

An interesting question came up while Irakly and I were shooting the above studio still life "Watch" and "Mousetrap" images:

The issue was depth-of-field and lack of movements with the S2 system. Has anyone tackled this problem? While it can somewhat be mitigated by using the S120 Macro stopped down to 16 or 22 and moving the camera back until DOF is achieved, you then lose resolution due to cropping the image to fill the frame ... which is okay for some applications but certainly not all ... especially larger applications or commercial use where one never knows how big the client may use the shot (as Guy has frequently mentioned).

I mentioned to Irakly that people were using Hasselblad V mount lenses on the S2, and he pointed out that Novaflex made a T/S bellows system in V mount ... that can also use view camera lenses or enlarger optics on the front. We're going to explore this possibility going forward.

BTW, I also shot the Mousetrap shot with my H4D/60 using the Hasselblad HTS/i.5 and 100/2.2 with an additional 13mm extension tube ... by using 11º of tilt I was able to fill the frame and maintain DOF acceptable focus front to back. While the HTS/1.5, which uses additional optical elements, somewhat degrades IQ compared to the straight Leica S120 APO, the massive size of the H4D/60 file more than makes up for it when compared at the same large reproduction size ... with the additional bonus of everything being in focus with the H.

If the Novaflex works, it will further expand the versatility of the S2 quite a bit. I am not all that interested in focus stacking as the ultimate solution ... it takes up to much time in a typical studio product shoot, and things like food needs to be shot the minute the stylists places the hero ... or if there is anything moving in the frame like steam or splashing liquids. Even in the field, flowers don't stand still in a breeze waiting for multiple shots.

Your thoughts?

Marc

BTW, here are the two Mousetrap shots: subjectively, I processed the H4D/60 shot a bit warmer/red to push the notion of "golden" ... not sure which I prefer yet.

Paratom

Marcs,
when I was evaluating different ways to do T/S with the S2 (after I heard the chance for a Leica T/S in the near future is small) were a) some T/S adapters from a Korean guy for Rollei lenses on the S2, then he also offers a Shift (but not tilt) adapter for Hasselblad lenses.

Then I heard that the Novoflex "Balpro" (see following link) is supposed to work on the S2. There are also 80 and 100m Schneider -Kreuznach lens-heads available for that solution.
I called Novoflex some weeks ago and they told be it should work on the S2 but they couldnt tell me yet how good the results would look like IQ-wise.

http://www.novoflex.com/de/produkte/makrofotografie--blitztechnik/balgengeraete/balpro-ts/

fotografz

Marcs,
when I was evaluating different ways to do T/S with the S2 (after I heard the chance for a Leica T/S in the near future is small) were a) some T/S adapters from a Korean guy for Rollei lenses on the S2, then he also offers a Shift (but not tilt) adapter for Hasselblad lenses.

Then I heard that the Novoflex "Balpro" (see following link) is supposed to work on the S2. There are also 80 and 100m Schneider -Kreuznach lens-heads available for that solution.
I called Novoflex some weeks ago and they told be it should work on the S2 but they couldnt tell me yet how good the results would look like IQ-wise.

http://www.novoflex.com/de/produkte/makrofotografie--blitztechnik/balgengeraete/balpro-ts/
That is exactly the one that Irakly was talking about. He currently uses something similar with excellent results on his Contax 645 using a 180mm Schneider enlarging lens (I guess for the coverage with his Phase One back with a bigger sensor than the S2). One would think the 100 Schneider Apo Digitar from Novoflex would be more than up to the job.

However, doesn't the S2 sensor have micro lenses? If so, then the primary question regarding IQ would be the effect of a sensor with lenses ... not optimal with many other digital backs like the P30 with color casts and other anomalies.

Doesn't affect me much since I also have a H4D/60 that uses the HTS/1.5 or can be mounted on my Xact-II for full movements front and back. I was just interested in general.

-Marc

PeterA

I haven't had much time to really get into the S2 with adaptor and V lenses yet however I am impressed with the 'playability' of the files from this camera ...left one is 100/2 Zeiss - hand held @ 1/60th - and center is a B&W conversion again the 100/2 @ 1/125th right hand side shows the rendition of the 75 Summarit - which I think is an outstanding lens ( and I get to post a puppy shot)

I am really pleased to see the different drawing of the V versus Leica lenses but it looks like I will be forking out the cashola to buy some more selected Leica glass.

I think we need a split screen for manual focus - that woudl be a great help for exact focus. I love the hand holdability of this camera - the ergonomics are the main reason I bought into it and have no regrets at all. The biggest surprise is the batteries - WOW - I use a handgrip as well but I haven't had to charge the batteries since new - they just keep on going and going and going..