Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

[QUOTE=KurtKamka;275906]Lots of nice winter shots ... ceh. Here are a few of mine ...

Kurt, very nice pictures.
    What lens did you use?

Vlad,
    I have a CG 241 W, hardware calibration, D50, Gamma 2.2.
    I am very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Panning,
    AFc mode,Aperture Priority...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ceh, the last images were with the 70mm summarit-s. As is this one ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    ceh, the last images were with the 70mm summarit-s. As is this one ...

Kurt
    again a nice picture ..
    I have still only 70 mm..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cenek - Kurt
    Please don't show my pictures like this - please just keep them to yourselves will you?
    It causes me pain!

at any rate - have a FANTASTIC 2011

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

jonoslack
    hesitate - buy S2 - fantastic camera - is the best..
    .................................................. ...................
    8 sec.,f/11,manual exposure,manual focus,mirror up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one with the 180mm Summarit-S, a very nice lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    Panning,
    AMAZING, what you can do with a medium format camera these days. Thanks, Cenek, for expanding the horizon of the S2's capabilities!!!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, this is magnificent...truly spectacular. I see that you are enjoying this new tool! I wish I could muster up the courage (i.e. the funds) to get this, but I can't afford to do so, and am fully invested in the M system.

But like my pre-Noct f/0.95 days, I'll live vicariously through you!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Cenek - Kurt
    Please don't show my pictures like this - please just keep them to yourselves will you?
    It causes me pain!

at any rate - have a FANTASTIC 2011

all the best
    Agreed. Enjoy 2011. I feel like Jono, can't afford to have the S2, but I love your talented images, and see where your journey will take us!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick thank you to everyone sharing their S2 images in this thread.
    And a very happy, healthy and photographically interesting New Year to you all!

-Kurt, what made you decide for the B/W conversion? Seems like a nice subject for subdued winter colours...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Kurt, this is magnificent...truly spectacular. I see that you are enjoying this new tool! I wish I could muster up the courage (i.e. the funds) to get this, but I can't afford to do so, and am fully invested in the M system.

But like my pre-Noct f/0.95 days, I'll live vicariously through you!
    Big plus ONE!! Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bet this one would look great printed large. It has feel to it that draws you into the photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Mark, Jono and Lloyd.

Ashwin, you are very kind. So far I'm very happy that I've stepped away from the M9 and rangefinder photography for awhile. I really needed to get away from my shallow depth of field comfort zone to be able to try to grow as a photographer. I felt that I was becoming much too one dimensional in how I viewed image making. Did you know that there are apertures beyond f0.95? Who'd have thunk it? I actually took a shot at f16 yesterday.

Peter, good question. I thought that I'd just throw in a black and white. I prefer the color, which I've attached.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Panning,
    Awesome shot, ceh. Between this and the tennis pictures earlier in the thread, I can see how versatile the S2 can be!

Beautiful feeling to that scene, Kurt. I especially like the color version. I've really been enjoying the thread so far and can relate to your comment about shallow DOF comfort zone.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, good question. I thought that I'd just throw in a black and white. I prefer the color, which I've attached.

Kurt
    Kurt,

Truly lovely image, that in my opinion really works best in color. My reasoning is the color shows the last vestiges of life this time of year, while the decaying crops and barren trees emphasize their passing/hibernation for the given season. The dichotomy between the two in a hauntingly stark but striking images truly works.

I still have to comment on all the other great S2 images being posted in this thread by yourself and others. Many really show off some of the notable merits of the S2 and lenses being used with it.

Whereas shallow depth of field when used appropriately is one of the strong domains of rangefinder photography, these S2 images are showing many of us the strengths of that system and how each user is both coping and exploiting its what it is capable of. Thanks to all for letting us learn though your eyes and words.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Wayan Roma - Balinese Salt Farmer.

Some more pictures are on my blog. It is nice to be able to be near water and feel perfectly comfortable having the S2.

Wishing everyone a Very Happy New Year! Looking forward to the many possibilities it will bring.

Best regards,
    Arif
    http://blog.arifiqball.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, you are very kind. So far I'm very happy that I've stepped away from the M9 and rangefinder photography for awhile. I really needed to get away from my shallow depth of field comfort zone to be able to try to grow as a photographer. I felt that I was becoming much too one dimensional in how I viewed image making. Did you know that there are apertures beyond f0.95? Who'd have thunk it? I actually took a shot at f16 yesterday.

Kurt
    Hi Kurt,
    I like both the B&W and the Color since they have different interpretations. Did you use Silver Efex for the conversion. I find that it works very well with my S2 files as long as I don't do too many local adjustments.

Take care,
    Arif

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Kurt,

Truly lovely image, that in my opinion really works best in color. My reasoning is the color shows the last vestiges of life this time of year, while the decaying crops and barren trees emphasize their passing/hibernation for the given season. The dichotomy between the two in a hauntingly stark but striking images truly works.
    Dave (D&A)
    +1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arif View Post
    Wayan Roma - Balinese Salt Farmer.

Some more pictures are on my blog. It is nice to be able to be near water and feel perfectly comfortable having the S2.

Wishing everyone a Very Happy New Year! Looking forward to the many possibilities it will bring.

Best regards,
    Arif
    http://blog.arifiqball.com
    Just visited your site-some great images there! I like the one from the guy smoking the cigarette a lot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kurt,
    great image. I also prefer the color one.

Would you mind to comment a bit more regarding overall experience/handling/portability and also IQ between the S2 and the M9?
    If you think it doesnt belong here you could maybe send me a pm if you find the time. Thanks, Tom

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks ceh, Amin, Dave, Tom and Arif.

Arif, love the image. Besides being an excellent photo, if definitely highlights the crisp, bright and colorful nature of the S2 look.

Dave, the S2 and M9 are definitely not substitutes for each other. But, either can be pressed into duty to carry out some of the strengths of the other. For instance, while I liked the separation I was getting with the M9 and fast lenses, I'm able to get a different type of separation with the S2 that has more depth.

Tom, I think the biggest advantage I'm realizing with the S2 versus the M9 is just the added versatility I have in carrying the camera around versus the M9. For the first time in a long while I get longer lenses, AF when I need it and the sensor size I want if I want to print really large prints. I find it to also be the right size (for me) to carry around versus the other options available from Phase and Hasselbad (and, yes I did spend a great deal of time with both systems in developing my opinion). I enjoy the idea that it has a bit of a hybrid form factor. It allows me to pursue my own idea of what I like to shoot. Whereas there are a lot of folks in the medium format section that utilize their megapixel monsters for methodical stitching, tech cameras and maximum depth of field, that isn't me. I believe that there are other ways to use larger sensors to capture the world that surrounds us. As an example, after spending some time driving around in the fog looking for an interesting landscape like the one above, I drove into the city yesterday and grabbed some shots with the 180 and AF. Later in the evening, I put a 110/2 on the S2 via adapter and unabashedly shot some ISO1250 shots as I continue to try to see how far I can push the S2 into the night without flash. It's the freedom that I'm gaining that I'm enjoying most.

Post Thanks / Like

All the best in 2011
    all you have S2
    ...also by the reluctant

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt
    Thanks for posting the color version

I like both actually. In general I'm more into color photography, but I think the B/W conversion worked really well for this kind of scene. The grey tones do convey the feeling of a cold and dark winter day very nicely.

Best whishes,
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still putting my new camera thru its paces... but all these snow and ice pics made me want to post something a little warmer.

Post Thanks / Like

I rejoice with you..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, looks much warmer on the south side of the continent. I was at the beach on Lake Michigan this afternoon for the annual polar bear plunge. Two hours outside in 15 degree fahrenheit weather with 35mph winds. Battery on the S2 still at full charge. Frozen fingers, but not crazy enough to jump in the lake.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love that last shot Kurt. I used to go to Coney Island with my folks when I was a kid and watch the Russian guys take that plunge. They must have had strong hearts.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ceh, Amin, Dave, Tom and Arif.

Arif, love the image. Besides being an excellent photo, if definitely highlights the crisp, bright and colorful nature of the S2 look.

Dave, the S2 and M9 are definitely not substitutes for each other. But, either can be pressed into duty to carry out some of the strengths of the other. For instance, while I liked the separation I was getting with the M9 and fast lenses, I'm able to get a different type of separation with the S2 that has more depth.

Tom, I think the biggest advantage I'm realizing with the S2 versus the M9 is just the added versatility I have in carrying the camera around versus the M9. For the first time in a long while I get longer lenses, AF when I need it and the sensor size I want if I want to print really large prints. I find it to also be the right size (for me) to carry around versus the other options available from Phase and Hasselbad (and, yes I did spend a great deal of time with both systems in developing my opinion). I enjoy the idea that it has a bit of a hybrid form factor. It allows me to pursue my own idea of what I like to shoot. Whereas there are a lot of folks in the medium format section that utilize their megapixel monsters for methodical stitching, tech cameras and maximum depth of field, that isn't me. I believe that there are other ways to use larger sensors to capture the world that surrounds us. As an example, after spending some time driving around in the fog looking for an interesting landscape like the one above, I drove into the city yesterday and grabbed some shots with the 180 and AF. Later in the evening, I put a 110/2 on the S2 via adapter and unabashedly shot some ISO1250 shots as I continue to try to see how far I can push the S2 into the night without flash. It's the freedom that I'm gaining that I'm enjoying most.
    Thanks Kurt. Sounds good to me and I also think when looking on the images in this forum we can see the approach to shoot a wider range of subjects and images vs the landscape and studio focus MF image thread.

By the way what lens do you like best so far?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    ... I also think when looking on the images in this forum we can see the approach to shoot a wider range of subjects and images vs the landscape and studio focus MF image thread.
    Agree with this completely and I think it's a big part of what attracts many of us to the S2. It's not that you can't shoot these subjects with the other MF cameras, it's just more convenient with the S2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CEH, I'm really liking several of your later photos posted. I think the tree lined road on the hill has potential for more photos. The few you have already posted from that area make me want to see more. I bet it is pretty in the spring time as well.

Kurt, you're are freezing me with your last two sets of photos - especially the first one on the beach with the wind blowing.

David, your kite surfing photo shows good dynamic range by holding the texture in the clouds and the dark seaweed on the beach. Roger has been telling me about the kite surfing down there and one of these days I am going to make down there to try photographing it myself. It looks like it is challenging to photograph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arif, your photos here and on your blog continue to impress. You are fortunate to have very interesting subject matter. However, it takes a skilled photographer to capture that subject matter as thought provoking photographs which express a mood and sense of being there. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Arif, your photos here and on your blog continue to impress. You are fortunate to have very interesting subject matter. However, it takes a skilled photographer to capture that subject matter as thought provoking photographs which express a mood and sense of being there. Well done.
    Mark and Kurt and T_streng;
    Thank you very much for your encouraging comments.

Mark, it was thanks to your advice and help that I picked up the S2 and I am glad it has worked out for me. I take it everywhere I travel and look forward to any opportunity that I get and now rely less and less on the D3x. I am still playing with it to find what is natural for me.

Here is a picture of one of the carved, wooden, guardians at Todaiji temple in Nara. Those who have visited the great temple must recognize the abundant and friendly deer running around the temple. The strong sunlight was tricky to photograph since the guardians are in strong shadows and I wanted to still get the deer and the person to show the sense of scale.

Take care,
    Arif

P.S. Please feel free to leave comments on the blog It is a nice reminder that someone is reading

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David, looks much warmer on the south side of the continent. I was at the beach on Lake Michigan this afternoon for the annual polar bear plunge. Two hours outside in 15 degree fahrenheit weather with 35mph winds. Battery on the S2 still at full charge. Frozen fingers, but not crazy enough to jump in the lake.

Kurt,

I went swimming in the pool yesterday with my 4-year-old daughter. Even with a heated pool and the outside temp at 74, I was pretty darn cold (she doesn't have nerve endings). I can't even imagine 15 deg temp and plunging into Lake Michigan!!!

Nice shots. And nice to hear about the cold-weather battery performance as this is kinda hard to test where I am.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ceh;276039]
    Lots of nice winter shots ... ceh. Here are a few of mine ...

Kurt, very nice pictures.
    What lens did you use?

Vlad,
    I have a CG 241 W, hardware calibration, D50, Gamma 2.2.
    I am very happy with it.

Neat shot, (Cyril is it? )

At first I thought it was CIREK!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1
    +2

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Horses really are beautiful animals. This one lives a very good life at a nearby friend's house.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another from the same shoot. Still working on processing these files to look their best...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I like the brown-white horse better. Dont know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Red face Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

What horse? Seriously, that is a very good photo David. I look forward to seeing more from this session.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, I've used the 35mm, 70mm and 180mm lenses. It's hard to find fault with any of the lenses. That being said, I'm loving the 180.

David, you certainly know your way around horses. That second shot is gorgeous. I'm confident you won't be returning the S2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know that several people have mentioned on a variety of forums their feeling that an S2 might be overkill for impromptu shots. What's great about these S2 lenses and the extra pixels is that the big sensor allows you to crop in to create a variety of other image possibilities. In this instance, I had the camera in a portrait position because I was standing in the middle of a crowd and it allowed me to use all of the frame. If I would have tilted the camera back into a horizontal orientation, I would have missed these two 'rogue' surfers as they quickly posed for an image for someone next to me.

Even at f3.5, the 180mm lens is very sharp. Here's the crop and the full image.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that several people have mentioned on a variety of forums their feeling that an S2 might be overkill for impromptu shots. What's great about these S2 lenses and the extra pixels is that the big sensor allows you to crop in to create a variety of other image possibilities. In this instance, I had the camera in a portrait position because I was standing in the middle of a crowd and it allowed me to use all of the frame. If I would have tilted the camera back into a horizontal orientation, I would have missed these two 'rogue' surfers as they quickly posed for an image for someone next to me.

Even at f3.5, the 180mm lens is very sharp. Here's the crop and the full image.
    Great shots! And great argument for using a larger sensor as well

Although I would not have expected something different from the 180 - knowing the focal length of 180 has always been one of the strengths of Leica (2.8/180, 2/180). So now producing a 3.5/180 for the slightly larger format (image circle) was not such a big evolution for them.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Another from the same shoot. Still working on processing these files to look their best...
    You know you can send your friends poster size.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you still like the brown-white horse better than this... I give up

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You know you can send your friends poster size.
    I'm guessing you'll want the one I just posted too

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, I've used the 35mm, 70mm and 180mm lenses. It's hard to find fault with any of the lenses. That being said, I'm loving the 180.

David, you certainly know your way around horses. That second shot is gorgeous. I'm confident you won't be returning the S2.
    Glad to hear all the lenses are spot on for you Kurt... mine are too, even using AF under difficult conditions (shooting into the sun). I'm a city guy and really know nothing about horses but there's something special about a pretty girl and a horse. Kind of like the whole is more than the sum of it's parts... if you know what I mean. The S2 is a keeper for me. I won't say it doesn't have it's quirks but the camera and menus are really simple compared to Canon, Nikon and Sinar.