Horse?

I don't see no flippin' horse.

- Leigh

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You know you can send your friends poster size.
    Mail it to his wife ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, I'm really sorry that your S2 journey ended with a big sink hole. The part that is most irritating is that without the issues that have plagued you and a number of others, it's a pretty sweet ride.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    If you still like the brown-white horse better than this... I give up
    ok, I also want to test a S2 now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    ok, I also want to test a S2 now
    The guy in the green thong and Bill Clinton mask didn't have the same effect on you?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    The guy in the green thong and Bill Clinton mask didn't have the same effect on you?
    That was a mask?!!?

Post Thanks / Like

If you still like the brown-white horse better than this... I give up
    I need to revisit my model strategy. This seems more fun ;(

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple of behind the scenes shots... just for fun. Even the models want to be photographers

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple of behind the scenes shots... just for fun. Even the models want to be photographers
    Nice stuff, David. I hope you're bringing more files for us to look at when you come down tomorrow! And that location is amazing. I better be invited to come along next time.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots David. Warms my heart to see sunshine, warm temps and poolside bathing beauties. Up here in my neck of the woods, we are only mid-way through a long, cold and dark Alaskan winter. I really need to get out of this state more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice image Kurt and it looks very good in B&W too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David. Just trying out different lenses and settings. The first one was with the Zeiss 110/2 and an ND filter. This next one is with the 180 ... a smoking good lens.

Sorry I can't join you and Roger on South Beach tomorrow ... I'll have to make due with my frozen North Beach.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Kurt... that Leica Pony Express news travels fast. Yes, Roger has been shown the secret handshake and we are hoping to catch a few good sunrise images in the early morning at SoBe.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David. Just trying out different lenses and settings. The first one was with the Zeiss 110/2 and an ND filter. This next one is with the 180 ... a smoking good lens.

Sorry I can't join you and Roger on South Beach tomorrow ... I'll have to make due with my frozen North Beach.

Hi Kurt, David, Arif, CEH and all other S2 users (hope I didn't leave anyone out).

While I contemplate S2 related things, I was wondering for long lens use, what is there in the 500-600mm MF lens range that can be used on a S2 (therefore with an equivelent effective focal length of approx 350-450mm in 35mm full frame terms)...and that falls in the relm of somewhat being reasonable in terms of $$ investment. Any spossible suggestions would be appreciated. I know you're really impressed with your 180mm Kurt, but if I was to go the S2 route, I would need something longer, especially if I give up the 35mm DSLR system.

Kurt, love the colors of your last two posted images and can imagine even from these web sized images, the detail that is retained.

Thanks!

Dave
    (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dave,

The longer Mamiya 645 manual focus APO lenses are excellent. I had the 300/2.8 APO for awhile and used it with a Phase camera and P45+ back. The 300mm APO lens originally sold for $12k ... it can now be purchased used for around $3k. The 300mm would be about a 240mm in 35mm.

There is also a 500/4.5 APO lens that is very rare and based off of the same design as the 300/2.8 APO. The original retail price of the 500mm APO lens was around $18k. They pop up very rarely at prices quite a bit lower than that now.

The 300mm APO can also be used with teleconverters that will get you a bit more distance.

Here is a crop of the last shot of mine with the 180 which was shot at f5.6 and hand-held. The lens has fantastic detail resolution. The building at the end of the breakwater was a long way from where I was standing.

Kurt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kirt,

Thanks ever so much for the info..truly helpful! It gives me both pause for thought and a good place to start looking into this further. When I shot some MFD in the past, I primarily used it in a large studio setting for pre-performance shots of artists during dance and other practice and posed routines, and left the longer stuff to a 35mm DSLR. Now I'm contemplating using the S2 to replace the DSLR, so it will often necessitate the use of longer glass. The 300 f2.8 with teleconverter with/without cropping might just make it but 500mm is probably closer to what I would be looking for where I wouldn't always have to rely on cropping.

Great stuff Kurt and everyone else!! Seems the angle of this slipperly slope keeps getting steeper all the time

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

The 110 2.0 Zeiss.......this lens is a constant, always associated with beautiful images......nice work Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, I have been wanting to try a long lens on my S2 for a long time. I have kept my Canon system with 500mm because I don't want to give up the long telephoto. Now that adapters are available for the S2 there are several options for longish telephoto. Al Tanabe is loaning me his Hasselblad 350mm CF to try when I'm down in South Florida in a couple weeks. I have been looking around at both Hasselblad and Pentax 67 telephotos and there's seveal options all the way up to the Pentax 800mm beast. My biggest problem is that I don't have history or knowledge of older manual focus / manual aperture MF lenses. Al has been trying to teach me what to look for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's just sad that Leica R glass is out of the equation via adapter. There would have been so many great options to consider.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Dave, I have been wanting to try a long lens on my S2 for a long time. I have kept my Canon system with 500mm because I don't want to give up the long telephoto. Now that adapters are available for the S2 there are several options for longish telephoto. Al Tanabe is loaning me his Hasselblad 350mm CF to try when I'm down in South Florida in a couple weeks. I have been looking around at both Hasselblad and Pentax 67 telephotos and there's seveal options all the way up to the Pentax 800mm beast. My biggest problem is that I don't have history or knowledge of older manual focus / manual aperture MF lenses. Al has been trying to teach me what to look for.
    Mark, Interesting! I'm quite familiar with the Pentax 67 system, having used much of it years ago, including some of their long lenses. Of course that was with film and the image related issues that might crop up with their use while interfacing with a digital sensor, I can't say. Some of their glass although good, wasn't ED/APO (depends on the lens) and even those (the non ED glass) would give up something to the more exotic glass of that time or even today. So a lens by lens trial on the S2 is possibly the only way to know. The Pentax ED long lenses were supposedly exceptional in their performance.

I hadn't even considered the Pentax 67 glass on the S2 when I posed my question, since I didn't think there was a S2 adapter for Pentax 67.

I assume (haven't looked at the dimensions), that Penatx 645 glass is out of the question, due to image circle issues when used on the S2?? Reason being is there was some good long glass for Penatx 645, especially their high end 400mm ED glass. Again the Pentax 645 system comprised of older non ED long lenses (originating from the Takumar series) as well as some modern, more recent ED long lenses.

I've heard some good things about the Hassy 350mm CF but thats all I know about it.

Kurt, couldn't agree more since there are so many good R series glass to choose from. In addition (and on a seperate note) I'm surprised the R system was dropped, rather than updated.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 7th January 2011 at 09:42.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you post 150 megabyte tiff files? What size should I reduce to post to this thread?

Thanks,
    Scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tansey View Post
    How do you post 150 megabyte tiff files? What size should I reduce to post to this thread?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Most of what gets posted here is reduced to 72 or 96 dpi jpg files. The forum convention is 900dpi on the long side, but we do get a few longer than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    The forum convention is 900dpi on the long side,...
    I believe you mean 900 pixels.

- Leigh

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It doesn't matter if you use 72, 96, 240 or 300 ppi resolution as long as the image is 900 pixels wide or less.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guys-do you have the P Version of the S2?
    And do you think the platinum service is worth it for non Pros? (The idea to get a new camera in first 3 month if anything is wrong sounds interesting when buying such a new product).

Post Thanks / Like

-12 degrees Celsius,
    Austrian Tyrolia Alps - 5 days, a single battery charge, downhill skiing, backpack kata DT 123, a lens 2.5 / 70...

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I believe you mean 900 pixels.

- Leigh
    Yup. Pixels. I knew what I meant, but my fingers didn't.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ceh... love this last shot and what it says for the portability of the S2.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Guys-do you have the P Version of the S2?
    And do you think the platinum service is worth it for non Pros? (The idea to get a new camera in first 3 month if anything is wrong sounds interesting when buying such a new product).
    I considered both and just went with the best deal... but I bought a used kit from my dealer. If I bought a new non-P and it went south in the first 90 days I'd be looking for a new one from my dealer with or without the platinum service I think a number of the P version cameras were the original demo units bought by dealers and they are finding their way into customers hands. I'd be cautious about buying a demo unit that had seen extensive rental use. The price differential between the P and non-P cameras is significant. It's a personal decision exactly how much more it is worth. Anyway, nothing ever goes wrong with Leica products so what are you worried about

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something from South Beach...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something from South Beach...
    Let's try that again...

Post Thanks / Like

A photo from Tallinn, Estonia.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Let's try that again...
    ....great pictures
    .................................................. .............................

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, ceh... I am enjoying your shots of the frozen mountains as well. We don't even have real hills down here in Florida. The highest elevation in the state is 345 feet and I've never seen anything remotely that high down here.

This shot was taken by my photographer buddy, Andre Rowe with my S2. He's a much more accomplished photographer than I and has his own distinctive processing style which is targeted to the use of the photo for the model's portfolio. This is the same young lady that was taking cell phone pics from poolside that I posted earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

David K,
    Lady is a bit difficult pose..
    ...but it's imaginative
    Other light

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What I love about the many varied posted S2 images here is their wide variety of subjects...from landscapes to fashion to reportage. It's not that it isn't/wasn't possible with other MF systems, but that the S2 as a DMF, appeals to a wide range of users and applications and seems based on feedback, that it does extremely well with most all of these applications...not only in imagery but also in its versitility in handling.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th January 2011 at 09:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    What I love about the many varied posted S2 images here is their wide variety of subjects...from landscapes to fashion to reportage. It's not that it isn't/wasn't possible with other MF systems, but that the S2 as a DMF, appeals to a wide range of users and applications and seems based on feedback, that it does extremely well with most all of these applications...noit only in imagery but also in its versitility in handling.

Dave (D&A)
    I absolutely agree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots David and ceh.

Dave, you are correct ... the S2 is what you decide it should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The first hockey pucks dropped on frozen lakes, ponds and streams. Kids played after school and adults on weekends in conditions much different than those found in well-lit, temperature-controlled rinks that now dot the upper Midwest and Northeast of the US and most of Canada. When Mother Nature shakes her fist and the cold of winter returns, both traditionalists and non-traditionalists can be found participating in local outdoor pond hockey tournaments that take place on winter weekends.

All images are with the Leica S2 and 180mm Tele-Elmar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good stuff everyone. Kurt and CEH are making the most out of winter and David is making us all jealous with the swimsuit photos.

Kurt, are you manually focusing the action hockey photos?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doing a little shooting with the S2 down at the one of the local yacht clubs and some fellow asked me what kind of camera I was using. Told him a Leica and he said he never heard that name and wanted to know if it was as good as a Canon. I told him "almost"

I find the 35mm has really great DOF stopped down... I like it a lot. These sailboats sure look complicated to a stinkpot guy like me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, great hockey shots...a sport I played a lot of during high school school/college days and beyond. Did you scream out "hooking" when the 4th shot was taken? Playing outdoors on the frozen pond is the next best thing to last weeks "Winter Classic" in Pittsburgh.

One question Kurt and it may be an iPad thing since I am currently viewing images on it for the moment. In you 2nd shot, those plastic pane doors in the background on the left side of the image have what appears to be heat distortion of some kind..like hot fumes. This wasn't a consequence of something that caused distortion with the S2 or S2 180mm lens itself? I wouldn't think so?

Love the atmosphere in the 1st & 3rd shots, although they all have something to offer.

David it was jarring to go from the frozen tundra of Kurt's shots to yours, but love the depth of color that was captured in the small details, against the expansive white boats, masts etc....yet still retaining good shadow detail/dynamic range in the buildings on the left side. The expansive depth of field certainly adds to this image!

As for CEH's shots, especially the chair lift one....I keep returning to it always finding something new to focus on in terms of how the image was rendered by the S2. That winning lottery ticket better find it's way to me pretty soon...LOL!

Dave(D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 9th January 2011 at 15:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, that waviness you refer to in Kurt's second photo looks like heat related atmospheric disturbance. See the guy trying to warm his skates by the fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    I absolutely agree
    Stunning images CEH! What a beautiful place. I really enjoy your images both with the S2 and the M. Great eye!

Gary P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Stunning images CEH! What a beautiful place. I really enjoy your images both with the S2 and the M. Great eye!
    I have to agree. The compositions and the location are very appealing.

ceh... love this last shot and what it says for the portability of the S2.
    +1 - and Kurt's hockey photos equally demonstrate the S2's handling advantage.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Mark..I did mention spome type of heat distortion in my original post "but", when viewing on the ipod, I had the image stretched (cropped) at the midpoint of the iceskates. This meant I cut off the fire, so I didn't know where the ditortion was coming from. and my eye was focused on the distorted panes in the background. Teaches me to wait till I get back to a regular computer (as I am now), before making comments Thanks though for mentioning this!

CEH, even at web resolution, the detail in your image(s) is quite remarkable and you have a wonderul eye for landscapes. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,
    thank you for your kind words.
    S2 is a great camera.
    Image of the Austrian ski resort Elmau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark, the hockey shots are with the AFc setting. I wanted to test it out to see how quickly the camera was able to focus for action type of shots.

Dave, the others were correct, it is smoke and heat rising from the fire.

Here are a few from earlier today while walking around in a snowstorm with the Zeiss 110/2.

Last edited by KurtKamka; 10th January 2011 at 13:18.