Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Love those shots of the dog Kurt. Looks like he's got the right coat for the weather up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt - the Zeis 100 seems to sing on the S2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Kurt - the Zeis 100 seems to sing on the S2.
    +1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,
    great images with the 110.
    How is your keeper rate with manual focus?

One more question: if you use the S2 in your personal environment - do many people ask you about the camera? And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    ...One more question: if you use the S2 in your personal environment - do many people ask you about the camera? And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?
    In my experience with the S2, I do get questioned from time to time about the S2. Most of the time it is from other photographers, the majority of which have never heard of Leica. They are curious about it probably because it is not a brand they recognize and they almost always ask me how much it cost. I avoid the question and try to provide a generic response such as "its a pretty good camera" and shift the conversation to their camera or something else. I don't advertise the cost of the camera because I don't want to become a target (in case the wrong person overhears the conversation) and I don't want to come across as a bragger or make people feel I think I am better than them (I'm not).

There have only been one or two photographers who have recognized the S2 for what it is. They are very inquisitive and, I if conditions permit, I hand over the camera to them to check out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    There have only been one or two photographers who have recognized the S2 for what it is.
    About a year ago I met a photographer who was not familiar with the DMR and when he saw the size of the camera and the name on the front his eyes popped out, he stared for several minutes from several angles, then finally asked if I was using an S2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have some slight concerns that if I used a camera with such price and anybody of friends and family would find out the price they think I have too much money or like I was spending money in a non responsible behaviour (maybe they are not that wrong here)
    With the M-lenses nonbody expects the price.
    With a MF camera you can allways tell the price of the camera (which is not so high) and not tell the back is extra
    I just wondered if other hobbiest also have this "problem" (not a big thing- in the end I know I worked for the money and its my own decission and we still have enough food on the table - and too much food isnt healthy anyways)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And if friends ask you about the price-what do you tell them?
    This is really no different for any expensive item, e.g. watch, jewelry, automobile. For those friends of mine who are well to do it's not a problem for me... they all have their own priorities. I can tease them about the cost of their car, or house, or how much they spent on their last vacation. For those to whom such an expenditure is hard to fathom because of their limited means I try to be sensitive to their situation and avoid a direct answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    This is really no different for any expensive item, e.g. watch, jewelry, automobile. For those friends of mine who are well to do it's not a problem for me... they all have their own priorities. I can tease them about the cost of their car, or house, or how much they spent on their last vacation. For those to whom such an expenditure is hard to fathom because of their limited means I try to be sensitive to their situation and avoid a direct answer.
    +1

People in Europe are also a bit more discrete about these issues than people in the US and unlikely to ask you directly how much it costs. And if they ask, you can allways say "expensive but worth it." Funny enough, it most likely socially more acceptable to by a Porsche for 100k Euros than a camera and a few lenses for 40k simply because most people cannot imagine why on earth one would spend that amount of money on a camera.

Anyway, it's my money and my life and unless I would put the well being of my family in jeopardy, I see no reason not to do it.

BTW, as far as the M lenses are concerned, I am telling everyone that I only rented them because they all appreciated in value. In fact, the increased value of my lenses compensates for the loss in value of the M8 and M8.2. And assuming I would have invested the money in stock at the beginning of 2007, I did way better....

Post Thanks / Like

Today, one image,
    Austrian Alps..

Post Thanks / Like

One more picture..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    ... BTW, as far as the M lenses are concerned, I am telling everyone that I only rented them because they all appreciated in value. In fact, the increased value of my lenses compensates for the loss in value of the M8 and M8.2. And assuming I would have invested the money in stock at the beginning of 2007, I did way better....
    Likewise for the 280mm f/4 APO. The difference between the current value and what I paid for mine six years ago would pay for a DMR @ current market value.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

checking out the weather sealing of the S2...

Post Thanks / Like

checking out the weather sealing of the S2...
    Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the comments on the 110/2 on the S2. I love using the lens on the S2 ...

Nice shots, ceh.

Tom, be very careful ... I've seen what you like to shoot over the past several years. I can't see you not keeping the S2.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceh, these shots are superb!

Tom, you need to get rid of the K5 if you want to keep the S2, otherwise your cupboard will be overfilled

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, Peter,
    the problem is that so far the S2 AF works quite a bit better than I had expected. Also I get along pretty good with the user interface of the S2. One thing I dont like is the AF-button a little bit too far on the left for my hands, but its ok. I do like the 70mm focal length a lot-just right for my taste.
    If the price was 70% of what it is I would immediatly get one.
    But with the real price I am still "fighting" my stomach desire vs my brain decision (which says the S2 is just too expensive and I shall try to make the A900 work for me for high res images).
    However the desire for S2 allready helped me to reduce my gear collection (allready sold some things I dont use much).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for comments

and detail..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, that is impressive detail.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ceh, I was just about to mention that your 2nd shot doesn'thave quite the acuity as all your other posted S2 shots (and possibly overexposure) and then I had a second look and realized it was a crop of the 1st shot. Wow, that little balloon is up in the very right hand corner of the 1st shot...as Lloyd said, thats impressive detail! I still though can't make out what kind of lunch the ballonist is having?

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 15th January 2011 at 08:10.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    +2.

It feels like these mountain shots could benefit from a high quality UV filter (?).

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, Peter,
    the problem is that so far the S2 AF works quite a bit better than I had expected. Also I get along pretty good with the user interface of the S2. One thing I dont like is the AF-button a little bit too far on the left for my hands, but its ok. I do like the 70mm focal length a lot-just right for my taste.
    If the price was 70% of what it is I would immediatly get one.
    But with the real price I am still "fighting" my stomach desire vs my brain decision (which says the S2 is just too expensive and I shall try to make the A900 work for me for high res images).
    However the desire for S2 allready helped me to reduce my gear collection (allready sold some things I dont use much).
    Did you still keep the K5 and glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    +2.

It feels like these mountain shots could benefit from a high quality UV filter (?).

-Marc
    + another 2!
    Maybe just working on the files in LR3.3 would reduce the dust in the air which is usually there if you shoot this time in the mountains.

Ceh, could you send me a DNG (or a link) then I could give it a try?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Did you still keep the K5 and glass?
    Peter, I havent given up on the K5 yet. I have the sensor "dirt"problem and my K5 will be replaced. Also Pentax said the AF shall be improved with next firmware so I will give it a chance. Also depends what happens with my other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are are few from my trip to Key West.

First is with Leica S 70mm and polarizer. This was taken at Fort Zachary Taylor Park and there was an art exhibit along the shore. I believe I used the art as intended.

This one was taken with a Hasselblad 350mm CF kindly loaned to me from Al Tanabe. It is fun to have the extra reach.

Another with the Hasselbald 350mm CF

And, yet another with the Hasselblad 350mm. This time it's a portion of another art exhibit at the park.

Getting close to sunset. Taken through one of the art exhibits with the Leica S 180mm

End of the day with the Leica S 35mm and a touch of flash

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice natural look to those Mark. Kind of DMR like ... only bigger files and AF.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark,
    Nice shots, the 350 seems to look good on the jpg resolution. How is it holding up on the raw files?

Al
    Al Tanabe

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    The DNG fiIe will be sent soon.

fotografz,
    I have knowledge that apart from the front lens element protection there is no reason to use a UV filter in digital photography as there is a UV cover glass on a sensor, which serves instead... am I wrong?

Help from the 2,5/35 lens owners would be appreciated,
    I need to know how many aperture blades are there in this lens. I am in two minds about it and Hasselblad CFE IF 4/40 which allows to achieve such an effect:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

Great Key West shots. Looks like the 350 CF is working out quite well.

My favorite is the sunset shot you took with the 35 though.

Keep 'em coming.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Mark,
    Nice shots, the 350 seems to look good on the jpg resolution. How is it holding up on the raw files?

Al
    The lens holds up extremely well on the raw files. The only performance issue I see is some CA which is correctable in LR3. The only design issue I see (for use on a S2) is the lack of a tripod collar. I get nervous with that much lens hanging off the front of the camera - especially with the extra length and connections of the Hassy/S2 adapter. For this reason, I have been using a monopod on the camera and supporting the lens with my left hand which works well since that puts my hand at aperture ring and stop down button.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Nice natural look to those Mark. Kind of DMR like ... only bigger files and AF.

-Marc
    Thank you Marc. Natural is a term I often use when describing the look of S2 files. I'm glad to hear you find the files have natural look as well.

I plan on picking David and Josh's brains for processing tips when I stop by Dale Photo & Digital later this week. There is always something I can learn.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Mark,

Great Key West shots. Looks like the 350 CF is working out quite well.

My favorite is the sunset shot you took with the 35 though.

Keep 'em coming.

David
    Thank you David. I am having a blast. Not shooting as much as I hoped, but that will come later in the week. The 350 CF and 35 S are about as different to use as you can get. Both are rewarding in their own right.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ceh View Post
    ...Help from the 2,5/35 lens owners would be appreciated,
    I need to know how many aperture blades are there in this lens. I am in two minds about it and Hasselblad CFE IF 4/40 which allows to achieve such an effect:...
    CEH, I tried to check the number of aperture blades on the S 35mm with no luck. My eyes and lighting are not good enough. I used the stop-down (DOF preview) button to close the aperture and my eyes could make out the blades but not well enough to count them. I will try again later in better light.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    The DNG fiIe will be sent soon.

fotografz,
    I have knowledge that apart from the front lens element protection there is no reason to use a UV filter in digital photography as there is a UV cover glass on a sensor, which serves instead... am I wrong?

Help from the 2,5/35 lens owners would be appreciated,
    I need to know how many aperture blades are there in this lens. I am in two minds about it and Hasselblad CFE IF 4/40 which allows to achieve such an effect:

Well, for certain types of images you'll still get UV effect ... like in the mountains with all that blue cast ... which you could adjust in post ... but I think it is always wise to do what you can while shooting ... but that's just me ... and you may well like the effect as is anyway.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    The lens holds up extremely well on the raw files. The only performance issue I see is some CA which is correctable in LR3. The only design issue I see (for use on a S2) is the lack of a tripod collar. I get nervous with that much lens hanging off the front of the camera - especially with the extra length and connections of the Hassy/S2 adapter. For this reason, I have been using a monopod on the camera and supporting the lens with my left hand which works well since that puts my hand at aperture ring and stop down button.

Mark
    The tripod mount is a problem for the Hassey as well. I think there is a third party that makes one for this lens. Must not look . . . too tempting
    Al Tanabe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any wideangle t/s solutions which would work well on te S2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

S2 and Zeiss 110/2 ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like your street photos Kurt and this one is another keeper. I have a new found appreciation for the your ability to do street work with the Zeiss 110mm f2 considering the manual focus and stop down metering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CEH, I think the Leica S 35mm has 9 blades in its aperture. I have attached two photos from tonight that show an 18 ray star pattern. I think that means 9 blades. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

See star pattern in street light on right-hand side of photo.

Another star pattern in street light although not as pronounced and on left side.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    thank you very much for your info,you are right for sure.

Kurt,
    very nice image

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for comments

and detail..
    Ceh,

gave it a try - first one is with LR3.3, second with C1Pro. You could easily adjust both the same way. I also did some additional WB.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    Thanks for the attemp. The images have more contrast.
    However, I can see there a detail loss in shadows and highlights. Furthermore, The
    image from C1 software has some strange colours- violet.
    .................................................. .................................

Post Thanks / Like

Ceh,

well, I did not really play too long, so do not take this as what really could be achieved. Also colors are always something subjective for sure.

You can bring the image in almost any direction you want.

What post processing SW do you use?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    Yes I agree.
    I use LR3.3 and PS CS4.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceh,

Another one as output from Phocus.

Maybe they all look similar, as this is kind of my taste. But actually it proves that this DNG format is highly flexible and can be easily modified by different PP-SW packages as you like.

Post Thanks / Like

DxO Optics Pro 5.3.7 - simulation Velvia 50

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

DxO Optics Pro 5.3.7 - simulation Velvia 50
    For my taste I like this quite a bit better than the original one.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

By the way... are the Leica S-lenses too sharp for portrait? what do you think?