The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

doug

... just get frustrated with threads that applaud image quality over quality of image...
Understood and agreed. It's safe to say that on this forum most if not all of us recognize that the camera doesn't make the quality of image, but I could see a few of these photos at wall size :)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Doug,

With your Dr. Dolittle-like ability to get close to wildlife, some extra pixels for animal close-ups would offer you so many options. I know it kills you that an R solution hasn't/wasn't worked out.

kevinparis

each to their own doug... but apart from kurts last shot and only if he cropped to my eye.. then nothing shown justifies to me being blown up beyond the web image... but thats just me... i am sure there are people who would pay good money for a print of their dog'

:)

just kicking the bucket, rattling the chains and trying to understand why people take photos

peace
K

kevinparis

sorry kurt... but that last shot is lousy street shot with any camera.... i know bad street shots.....i have taken enough of them

jonoslack

I merely kicked the bucket on this thread to make sure people look at the photos and not the EXIF data or the number of pixels before making judgements on the right tool for their purpose

peace

K
Hi Kevin
Quite right too - it's a bucket which needs kicking.

Still, I think a couple of these shots show characteristics which are appealing (whether or not the pictures themselves cut the mustard), and for me it's reminding me that lots of pixels and weatherproofing are appealing in a camera for landscape.

I hope a damp chilly Belgium isn't too much of an anti-climax after your travels brrrrrrr

Glad you're liking the MBA.

all the best

Arif

HI Arif
I've just spent a happy hour on your website too.
Are you still using the Nikon D3? or have you ditched everything and gone with the S2 . .. . . . terrible thoughts are entering my head!

All the best
Hi Jono,
Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I still keep and use the D3S/X combination along with the MP/M9 and the S2. I did sell my R9/M7 and a lot of my M glass as well as most of my R glass and the Nikon (Zeiss) glass to finance the S2 and only kept lenses that I use frequently and/or love the look. For me this meant being left with:
Nikon - 200/2, 14-24/2.8; 70-200/2.8 and the 80LuxR converted to a Nikon mount. Looking at converting the 280/4 as well to the Nikon mount
Leica M - 35LuxAspherical(1st); 50Lux; 75Lux
S2 - 35/70/180 but will probably sell the 35/70 to get the 35-90 when it comes out. Am waiting for the 120 to see how it will work out and if it is close to the 80/75 lux then may very releuctantly consider selling them.

For travel lately I have been taking the S2 with the three lenses and the D3S with the 14-24/70-200 which I leave at the hotel unless I am planning to use it for fast action/dance/low light. I will substitute the D3X with the S2 if I want a smaller kit and need autofocus speed or will use the M if I want to go even lighter. My wife helps out if/when she likes the subject matter.

Please take a serious look (or have your wife look) at your current camera/lens collection and you may be pleasantly surprised to see that the jump to the S2 is not as big as what you thought.

Will be happy to give you additional feedback if you need.

Thanks again,
Arif

jonoslack

Please take a serious look (or have your wife look) at your current camera/lens collection and you may be pleasantly surprised to see that the jump to the S2 is not as big as what you thought.

Will be happy to give you additional feedback if you need.

Thanks again,
Arif
HI Arif - thank you - I've just passed on the archery / horses blog entry to my wife, who will definitely enjoy it!

I guess I could manage an S2, but it would really mean moving away from my M9 gear (as Kurt did) . . . and I don't think it's a good exchange for my photography. Still, maybe one day I'll be a little better off!
To be honest, the real temptation will come when the zoom lens appears, then I fear I may be in trouble.
In the meantime I'll be sticking with the the Leica and the Sony (with the little pentax for banging around and wet weather).

all the best, and thanks for the encouragement.

David K

Workshop Member
sorry kurt... but that last shot is lousy street shot with any camera.... i know bad street shots.....i have taken enough of them
I've taken my fair share too Kevin but I think you may have missed the humor in this...one more crack at a street shot :). Kurt's a fine photographer and I don't think he's posting these images as examples of his best work. I see them more as exploratory... e.g. shooting a new camera with adapter and third party lens to see how well it works. I also see an attempt on his part to try and get a look similar to what he was getting with his Leica M kit, especially the Noct that he just gave up. More of an experiment to see the similarities and differences in the systems. For someone like me who's seriously considering the S2 these images are helpful irrespective of the content.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks, David. I understand where Kevin is coming from and am still hoping that the thread can steer clear of the typical Leica thread digression of the cost of Leica gear.

The S2 is expensive and it sucks that its as expensive as it is. I'm of the belief, though, that there a number of people who will be able to make an S2 worth the investment for personal or professional purposes. (As an aside, now that I'm only shooting with the S2 and my iphone, I'll be also working on a personal series of iphone shots from the hip that are shot with shaky maximum DOF. I'll be blowing them all the way up to their 4" x 5" enlargement limit and calling them art.)

I was hoping to make the thread a place where those shooting with the S2 would feel comfortable documenting their ongoing journey ... minus the slings and arrows. Not all of the images are going to be gallery worthy. Hopefully this doesn't need to be a thread of critiques. And it certainly doesn't need to be a thread with lavish, warranted praise. Personally, I find that I learn a lot from seeing what others are doing ... successfully and unsuccessfully.

So for those who have S2 shots, just post what you think is interesting ... and enjoy what you are doing. God knows we can use a little less image angst piled on top of gear angst.

jonoslack

Thanks, David. I understand where Kevin is coming from and am still hoping that the thread can steer clear of the typical Leica thread digression of the cost of Leica gear.
It's done really well so far I think - it's a great ambition (and a rather unlikely one!). Kevin is not a leica attacker though, and I think he was intending a reality check (maybe sensible) rather than attack on Leica . . . or on Kurt (who's previous street shot he had complimented).

I'm enjoying this thread, although rather like David's might be; my wallet is quivering in it's pocket!

all the best

D&A

I was hoping to make the thread a place where those shooting with the S2 would feel comfortable documenting their ongoing journey ... minus the slings and arrows. Not all of the images are going to be gallery worthy. Hopefully this doesn't need to be a thread of critiques. And it certainly doesn't need to be a thread with lavish, warranted praise. Personally, I find that I learn a lot from seeing what others are doing ... successfully and unsuccessfully.
That's exactly what I was hoping for. A thread that documented the journey of those who acquired an S2 and their own personal trials and tribulations with setting up and using the system for their own particular needs. This most certainly would include posting of images that exemplified traits of the system the users found particularly unique or useful (or even detrimental) to their style of shooting, when using their S2 vs. whatever other system they routinely used previously. Even if the posted images are their first attempts at seeing what works or doesn't, its informative.

This comparison could include brief remarks how their S2 makes a considerable difference for certain types of applications when compared to their previous use of the M system or traditional 24x36 full frame DSLR, and/or other DMF systems. I gathered for Kurt, who had some very remarkable street images with his M system, was sort of illustrating the possible lack of spontaneity and differences he's encountered when briefly attempting the same with his S2 (freezing cold shooting conditions aside). I assumed though Kurt, your reasons of going to the S2 is simply not to duplicate your previous type of M photography, but for expanding directions and opening up possibilities for other endeavors.

Some of these differences of using the S2 vs. the other systems may of course be obvious to anyone contemplating these changes, but some may not be so obvious, and that's why S2 users own words and accompanied images may greatly help those who are seriously thinking about the S2.

I also hope discussion of 3rd party lenses for use with the S2 becomes part of the discussion, and am certain it will be an important element of this thread.

Thanks to Kurt and others for sharing their experiences with this new system and putting it out there, the "good and the not so good", contained within this thread.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That's exactly what I was hoping for. A thread that documented the journey of those who acquired an S2 and their own personal trials and tribulations with setting up and using the system for their own particular needs. This most certainly would include posting of images that exemplified traits of the system the users found particularly unique or useful (or even detrimental) to their style of shooting, when using their S2 vs. whatever other system they routinely used previously. Even if the posted images are their first attempts at seeing what works or doesn't, its informative.

This comparison could include brief remarks how their S2 makes a considerable difference for certain types of applications when compared to their previous use of the M system or traditional 24x36 full frame DSLR, and/or other DMF systems. I gathered for Kurt, who had some very remarkable street images with his M system, was sort of illustrating the possible lack of spontaneity and differences he's encountered when briefly attempting the same with his S2 (freezing cold shooting conditions aside). I gathered though Kurt, your reasons of going to the S2 is simply not to duplicate your previous type of M photography, but for expanding directions and opening up possibilities for other endeavors.

Some of these differences of using the S2 vs. the other systems may of course be obvious to anyone contemplating these changes, but some may not be so obvious, and that's why S2 users own words and accompanied images may greatly help those who are seriously thinking about the S2.

I also hope discussion of 3rd party lenses for use with the S2 becomes part of the discussion, and am certain it will be an important element of this thread.

Thanks to Kurt and others for sharing their experiences with this new system and putting it out there, the "good and the not so good", contained within this thread.

Dave (D&A)
Totally agree a working document as you will. We have PLENTY of bandwidth.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Jono, no worries. I really like Kevin and spent part of a day with him, Rodger and Cam in Paris. My only regret was not getting an opportunity to spend more time with them.

My secret wish is that Leica would design a very fast lens like the Noctilux for the S-system with lots of character and sharp as a tack wide open. It wouldn't even need to be auto-focus ... but it would probably be helpful with such a thin DOF. Both the Zeiss lenses are great on the S2, but I need to keep pushing the sharpness to create more separation between the subject and background like with the Noct ASPH. F1.2, 1.4 or 1.8 would be killer. Even if I couldn't focus it on an S2 ... I'd have a blast trying. Such a signature lens would put an aspirational spotlight on the system.

Here's another shot with the S2 and the 110/2 via adapter followed by one with the 250/4.

Lloyd

I am lonely here, leave this thread ..
All the best ... it's a shame....:confused:
I hope you stay. I really enjoy your S2 images (and your Leica M images). I think the problem is that there aren't very many people on the forum who shot the S2... yet. Keep posting, and keep tempting us all. :thumbup:

ceh

Lloyd,
thanks for your kind words..:)
Problem here is ignorance.
Nobody does not communicate with me ...I do not know the reason..

Best..