The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Mark,

Great Key West shots. Looks like the 350 CF is working out quite well.

My favorite is the sunset shot you took with the 35 though.

Keep 'em coming. :thumbs:

David

Mark,
Nice shots, the 350 seems to look good on the jpg resolution. How is it holding up on the raw files?

Al
The lens holds up extremely well on the raw files. The only performance issue I see is some CA which is correctable in LR3. The only design issue I see (for use on a S2) is the lack of a tripod collar. I get nervous with that much lens hanging off the front of the camera - especially with the extra length and connections of the Hassy/S2 adapter. For this reason, I have been using a monopod on the camera and supporting the lens with my left hand which works well since that puts my hand at aperture ring and stop down button.

Mark

Nice natural look to those Mark. Kind of DMR like ... only bigger files and AF.

-Marc
Thank you Marc. Natural is a term I often use when describing the look of S2 files. I'm glad to hear you find the files have natural look as well.

I plan on picking David and Josh's brains for processing tips when I stop by Dale Photo & Digital later this week. There is always something I can learn.

Mark

Mark,

Great Key West shots. Looks like the 350 CF is working out quite well.

My favorite is the sunset shot you took with the 35 though.

Keep 'em coming. :thumbs:

David
Thank you David. I am having a blast. Not shooting as much as I hoped, but that will come later in the week. The 350 CF and 35 S are about as different to use as you can get. Both are rewarding in their own right.

Mark

...Help from the 2,5/35 lens owners would be appreciated,
I need to know how many aperture blades are there in this lens. I am in two minds about it and Hasselblad CFE IF 4/40 which allows to achieve such an effect:...
CEH, I tried to check the number of aperture blades on the S 35mm with no luck. My eyes and lighting are not good enough. I used the stop-down (DOF preview) button to close the aperture and my eyes could make out the blades but not well enough to count them. I will try again later in better light.

fotografz

Peter,
The DNG fiIe will be sent soon.:)

fotografz,
I have knowledge that apart from the front lens element protection there is no reason to use a UV filter in digital photography as there is a UV cover glass on a sensor, which serves instead... am I wrong?

Help from the 2,5/35 lens owners would be appreciated,
I need to know how many aperture blades are there in this lens. I am in two minds about it and Hasselblad CFE IF 4/40 which allows to achieve such an effect:

Well, for certain types of images you'll still get UV effect ... like in the mountains with all that blue cast ... which you could adjust in post ... but I think it is always wise to do what you can while shooting ... but that's just me ... and you may well like the effect as is anyway.

-Marc

atanabe

The lens holds up extremely well on the raw files. The only performance issue I see is some CA which is correctable in LR3. The only design issue I see (for use on a S2) is the lack of a tripod collar. I get nervous with that much lens hanging off the front of the camera - especially with the extra length and connections of the Hassy/S2 adapter. For this reason, I have been using a monopod on the camera and supporting the lens with my left hand which works well since that puts my hand at aperture ring and stop down button.

Mark
The tripod mount is a problem for the Hassey as well. I think there is a third party that makes one for this lens. Must not look . . . too tempting

I like your street photos Kurt and this one is another keeper. I have a new found appreciation for the your ability to do street work with the Zeiss 110mm f2 considering the manual focus and stop down metering.

CEH, I think the Leica S 35mm has 9 blades in its aperture. I have attached two photos from tonight that show an 18 ray star pattern. I think that means 9 blades. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

See star pattern in street light on right-hand side of photo.

Another star pattern in street light although not as pronounced and on left side.

ceh

Mark,
thank you very much for your info,you are right for sure.:)

Kurt,
very nice image :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thank you all for comments :)

and detail..
Ceh,

gave it a try - first one is with LR3.3, second with C1Pro. You could easily adjust both the same way. I also did some additional WB.

ceh

Peter,
Thanks for the attemp. The images have more contrast.
However, I can see there a detail loss in shadows and highlights. Furthermore, The
image from C1 software has some strange colours- violet.:)
...................................................................................

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ceh,

well, I did not really play too long, so do not take this as what really could be achieved. Also colors are always something subjective for sure.

You can bring the image in almost any direction you want.

What post processing SW do you use?

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ceh,

Another one as output from Phocus.

Maybe they all look similar, as this is kind of my taste. But actually it proves that this DNG format is highly flexible and can be easily modified by different PP-SW packages as you like.