The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

ceh

Tom,
You're right, the picture looks better ..
Simulation of film materials from DxO software is beneficial, but not always.:)

I can't express myself if concerned the portraits made by "S" lens. I've got just the 2,5/70 lens...
.. however, the Zeiss lens 110, due to photos shared with Kurt Kamka, seems to me "softer" - better suited for portraits than 2,5/120 for example.
Maybe someone else will be able to write more (fotografz?)

David K

Workshop Member
Hope to jump back into this thread when I return from my travels next week. Meanwhile I am enjoying the images that you guys are kind enough to share.

fotografz

By the way... are the Leica S-lenses too sharp for portrait? what do you think?
I don't think so.

While I haven't done a lot of portrait work with the S2 yet, I will be. The few shots I got off at my engagement session on Dec/29th before the previous camera froze up looked really good using the 70mm. The focus fall-off was yummy.

Lighting has everything to do with the relative look of a portrait. If there is a lot of specular light, these lenses are going to deliver what you see. Likewise diffused light.

Sometimes I don't have that kind of control over lighting ... like at a wedding ... so I use some of the automated, non-distructive layered portrait tools in PhotoTools 2.5 ... which is the best software of that type I've used to date because of the selective slider controls, and independent stacked layers right in the software dialog window with real time adjustment visible in the main side-by-side screen... lots of options and very easy to use.

Here are a few people snaps done last year when first using the S2 & 180:

The girl crops show a use of the PhotoTools automatic portrait fixer tool ... a one button fix. The image of my photographer pal Ed is pretty much right out of the camera. I hope to refine the use of software as I learn this camera better.

-Marc

Paratom

Thanks Marc.
I am getting closer to get a S2.
From the first impression I also really liked the bokeh and sharpness falloff from the 70. The 180 Bokeh looked a bit harsher/ more nervous to me.
I did not have a chance to try the 120 but as a Macro lens I would also expect it to me more on the "clinical" side.
I am debating with myself if I would want 35 and 70 + later 180, or maybe 35 and 120 instead. However I like 50mm a lot on my other cameras so my tendency is towards the 35 + 70 and later 180.
Has anybody here skipped 70?

fotografz

Thanks Marc.
I am getting closer to get a S2.
From the first impression I also really liked the bokeh and sharpness falloff from the 70. The 180 Bokeh looked a bit harsher/ more nervous to me.
I did not have a chance to try the 120 but as a Macro lens I would also expect it to me more on the "clinical" side.
I am debating with myself if I would want 35 and 70 + later 180, or maybe 35 and 120 instead. However I like 50mm a lot on my other cameras so my tendency is towards the 35 + 70 and later 180.
Do you think the Bokeh on the shots I posted above is nervous?

-Marc

Paratom

just some shots where I tested the S2 AF etc. so no great image.
I know it is a busy background too. I assume the lens is so contrasty allready wide open (here at f4.0) that it also shows up a little in the blurred background.

fotografz

just some shots where I tested the S2 AF etc. so no great image.
I know it is a busy background too. I assume the lens is so contrasty allready wide open (here at f4.0) that it also shows up a little in the blurred background.

Judging by the blown edge highlight's on the goat, that was some pretty contrasty light you were trying to expose for ... background doesn't look all that bad to me given the circumstances and distance to background using f/4. "Nervous" to me would be a lot more double line "wormy" looking.

-Marc

Paratom

yes Marc, it was strong light and contrast (and I thought impressive how well the lens worked while shooting into that light)
I didnt mean to say the bokeh is bad I just meant it is not supersmooth. I added one more image. But yes, also strong light, and a funky background - not the background and light one would choose when shooting "real" images.

Paratom

Just wanted to appolegize. I think my questions dont belong into this thread. I hope to be able to contribute some images in the future.

fotografz

Just wanted to appolegize. I think my questions dont belong into this thread. I hope to be able to contribute some images in the future.
Nonsense Tom, you had a question about images and background ... IMO, why not ask it?

Super smooth bokeh really depends on distance to background and distance to subject. Try this little exercise ...

Have a person off a bit in the distance, shoot wide open, have them move closer, shoot, then closer again, shoot ... you don't move, and obviously the background doesn't move. At the more distant shots the background will be busier ... as the camera to subject shortens, the background progressively becomes more OOF ... until it's just a smooth blur. Not saying that all lenses have the same OOF characteristics ... just that under certain circumstances the background can be busy with just about any lens ... even a Nocitlux 0.95.

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks Marc.

Originally I thought to get just the camera and 35mm but wound up with the 70mm and 180mm as well. In the short time I've had it I have realized that this would have been a big mistake for me. I would encourage you not to skip the 70mm... it's a great lens and a very good focal length for the S2

fotografz

Originally I thought to get just the camera and 35mm but wound up with the 70mm and 180mm as well. In the short time I've had it I have realized that this would have been a big mistake for me. I would encourage you not to skip the 70mm... it's a great lens and a very good focal length for the S2
+1

Same lens set, same advice.

I'd say that one could debate the 120 macro verses the 180 depending on personal applications. The macro is different from most MFD Macros because it has a fast max aperture.

-Marc

Paratom

Thank you all for sharing the experience.
This reflects my thoughts. So if decide to be able to buy the S2 I would start with 35 and 70, and then add either 180 or 120 some time later. Right now I would probably prefer 180 for a little more reach. Even though I could imagine that one can shoot great Macros with the S2.

The 70 has also a size advantage over the other lenses.