The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Marc,
Thank you,
however,
number of star pattern rays of the CFE IF is perfect for me..
I respect your opinion and preference. However, personally I would be hard pressed to choose any wide lens over the Leica S 35mm because is such an exceptional lens on pretty much all accounts (except maybe personal preference of star pattern).

David Farkas at Dale Photo and Digital sells the Hassey to S2 adapters. He also has Pnetax 67 to S2 adapters. He let me try both a couple weeks ago when I was down at his store. These adapters open up a lot of options for alternative lenses on the S2. Of course you have to manual focus and do stop-down metering, but they work quite well. In fact the S2 viewfinder is so good that I was able to manually focus with the lens stopped down in many cases. That was convenient for the wildlife photos in particular because it saved time.

fotografz

Marc,
Thank you,
however,
number of star pattern rays of the CFE IF is perfect for me..
Unfortunately, along with that "star ray count" comes the pentaprism specular highlights ... that is the one thing I always hated about the Zeiss V lenses ... the "Chrysler Logo" highlights. and OOF specular highlights ;)

-Marc

Paratom

another great Mountain Image!

Lets say someone had a new S2 and was looking for CF cards - which card is recommended/known to work good with the S2?

...Lets say someone had a new S2 and was looking for CF cards - which card is recommended/known to work good with the S2?
Does this mean you have an S2 on the way or in your near future?

Now with compressed DNG files in the latest firmware, you don't have to have huge cards. I am getting by with Sandisk Extreme III 8 gb cards. An 8 gb card will now hold 200+ images. I assume a faster CF card would improve burst capture rate and subsequent download to computer. However, the Extreme III have been adequate for my needs. I also have some Transcend Class 10 SDHC secure digital cards in 8 gb and 16 gb, but I haven't shot them without the CF card so I can't say how the do on their own.

Paratom

Does this mean you have an S2 on the way or in your near future?
No - I picked it up yesterday evening ;)

Thank you with the info regarding the CF card! I first thought I might need faster and bigger cards, but looks like this is not the case due to the reduced size via latest firmware

David K

Workshop Member
Congratulations and the very best of luck with it. Hope you will share some images and opinions when you can...

I am back from my travels and will post again soon. Meanwhile I continue to enjoy CEH's high altitude vistas as well as Kurt and Mark's shots. We need to get some new S2 posters here !!!

GMB

We need to get some new S2 posters here !!!
I'd love to post but it will still be several weeks before the S2 that I ordered will be there. I told the dealer that I want at least the 70 and the 35 and preferably also the 120 or 180. I did not want to to have the camera with one lens only and then wait, and wait, and wait.

Thank you with the info regarding the CF card! I first thought I might need faster and bigger cards, but looks like this is not the case due to the reduced size via latest firmware
Congratulations on getting the S2. I know will enjoy it. You have done your homework and know what you're getting. I look forward to you posting some photos.

I'd love to post but it will still be several weeks before the S2 that I ordered will be there. I told the dealer that I want at least the 70 and the 35 and preferably also the 120 or 180. I did not want to to have the camera with one lens only and then wait, and wait, and wait.
I can say from first-hand experience that the 70mm is flexible enough to use as an only lens for a while. However, I can see value in waiting until your dealer can deliver the whole package. Maybe it will help to prioritize your order for the difficult to get lenses.

Paratom

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Also thank you for a lot of information I got here and for the inspiring images. I hope to get the time and light and inspiration to shoot something wich is worth posrting here soon.

I have tried to resist long time but finally stomach beats brain.

Tom

fotografz

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Also thank you for a lot of information I got here and for the inspiring images. I hope to get the time and light and inspiration to shoot something wich is worth posrting here soon.

I have tried to resist long time but finally stomach beats brain.

Tom
:)

Marc

D&A

Damned, that has a nice feel to it. 70mm, right?
Most definitely and a very cute pic of your daughter. Is that mudpie heading straight for the front element of the 70mm? :)

Best of luck on your new purchase and looking forward to hearing of your initial experiences with the S2.

Dave (D&A)

David K

Workshop Member
Lovely picture of your daughter. I find myself thinking that the S2 images just have something special to them... hard to express but it just takes great photos. I find the same is true of the M9 and the DMR. I'm afraid I'm in jeopardy of becoming a Leica "fanboy" :)

Great start with your own S2 Tom. You did a great job of capturing the moment. Some would say using an S2 for family snapshots is overkill, but I'm not one of them. The photo has a really pleasing look and feel to it. Plus, family snapshots are a great way to learn how to use the S2 for fast action.