The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Paratom

Hi Mark,
of course its overkill for family snapshots but its also overkill for me ;)
Thank you all for the nice comments.
The 70 is the only lens I have so far and for now I really like it. Very nice OOF rendering IMO - and I am happy that my S2+ my 70 seem to focus pretty reliable from first impression.
One thing I feel is that the images from the S2 look a little bit colder than what I was used from the Sinar back/Dalsa Sensor. Something which can not be changed by just changing the WB values.
Also still experimenting with LR vs C1.

peterv

Tom,

congratulations! Wonderful shot of a very beautiful daughter with a terrific camera!
I have to agree with Marc, Mark, Dave and David, there's something special to the IQ from this camera.
When I look at the portrait of your daughter I think its partly the effect of the complementary colors, partly the effect of the shallow DOF with the little hand and the background OOF. (You and the AF on the S2 did a great job focussing on the eyes)

One more thing I'd like to mention as a possible cause for the high IQ of this image is what I would call (in lack of other words to describe what I see) the 'straightforwardness' of the glass which makes it all look so 'realistic' and 'honest'. Quite unlike what I get from my A900 with the Carl Zeiss lenses which can often be a nice combo, but at the same time can give me this 'psychedelic'-3D-curvature of field effects that I think look artificial. :bugeyes:

Well, Peter Karbe is my hero...

Anyway, all the best with your new camera.

Peter

Paratom

Tom,

congratulations! Wonderful shot of a very beautiful daughter with a terrific camera!
I have to agree with Marc, Mark, Dave and David, there's something special to the IQ from this camera.
When I look at the portrait of your daughter I think its partly the effect of the complementary colors, partly the effect of the shallow DOF with the little hand and the background OOF. (You and the AF on the S2 did a great job focussing on the eyes)

One more thing I'd like to mention as a possible cause for the high IQ of this image is what I would call (in lack of other words to describe what I see) the 'straightforwardness' of the glass which makes it all look so 'realistic' and 'honest'. Quite unlike what I get from my A900 with the Carl Zeiss lenses which can often be a nice combo, but at the same time can give me this 'psychedelic'-3D-curvature of field effects that I think look artificial. :bugeyes:

Well, Peter Karbe is my hero...

Anyway, all the best with your new camera.

Peter
Thanks Peter and I agree about the lens(es) - one of the reasons why I feel confident regarding the S2 system.

Lloyd

Hi Mark,
of course its overkill for family snapshots but its also overkill for me ;)
Thank you all for the nice comments.
The 70 is the only lens I have so far and for now I really like it. Very nice OOF rendering IMO - and I am happy that my S2+ my 70 seem to focus pretty reliable from first impression.
One thing I feel is that the images from the S2 look a little bit colder than what I was used from the Sinar back/Dalsa Sensor. Something which can not be changed by just changing the WB values.
Also still experimenting with LR vs C1.
You know Tom, I've been going through 80+ years of negatives, prints and slides taken by my grandfather, my father, and myself, and I've come to the conclusion that the most important images any sane person ever makes are of their friends and family. I spent several years traveling as a young man, and took literally thousands of images of landscapes, seascapes, buildings, and historic places, etc. Some art, more postcards, most snapshots. I've kept very few of those. But pictures of friends, and especially of family are very dear to me still. Same goes for those taken by my father and grandfather. I can think of no better use for your S2, and you've started it off right. :salute:

D&A

You know Tom, I've been going through 80+ years of negatives, prints and slides taken by my grandfather, my father, and myself, and I've come to the conclusion that the most important images any sane person ever makes are of their friends and family. I spent several years traveling as a young man, and took literally thousands of images of landscapes, seascapes, buildings, and historic places, etc. Some art, more postcards, most snapshots. I've kept very few of those. But pictures of friends, and especially of family are very dear to me still. Same goes for those taken by my father and grandfather. I can think of no better use for your S2, and you've started it off right. :salute:
Extremely well put Lloyd, and I couldn't agree more. It's those kind of pictures you described that I keep coming back to and that hold the most interest to me after all these years of image captures. As an aside, I often have to laugh at some of the fashions worn during some of those years, especially those of the late 60's :) (and of course have to admit that I too wore some of the most rediculous outfits in those days.). I'm just glad the image of me in the orange and black pants covered in big bright yellow sunflowers, is stuck away under tons of boxes, never to see the light of day!

Dave (D&A)

Lloyd

Extremely well put Lloyd, and I couldn't agree more. It's those kind of pictures you described that I keep coming back to and that hold the most interest to me after all these years of image captures. As an aside, I often have to laugh at some of the fashions worn during some of those years, especially those of the late 60's :) (and of course have to admit that I too wore some of the most rediculous outfits in those days.). I'm just glad the image of me in the orange and black pants covered in big bright yellow sunflowers, is stuck away under tons of boxes, never to see the light of day!

Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave. And I know just what you mean. I had my white cuffs and collars, Nehru jacket, tie-day, etc... even sported alternatively a Fro and then a long ponytail. Yup, better left unseen, those pix of me from my psychedelic days. :eek:

Paratom

Yes Loyd,
some months ago my grand grand father passed away and going through images of the last years I was a) happy to find a good one of him in higher age (he was not the one who wanted to be on photos) and b) many memories came up when I went through the pictures.
Now I am glad I have those images.
As of today we now have 2 small kids and also this is/will be a time in my life which will not not last forever. I am living today but I also like to have some memories and a good image together with some imagination is enjoyable for me.
The thing with the S2 is that I feel I can combine spending time with family and taking photographs a little easier. And right now I feel fine to use the S2 even for images where I do not need this high IQ.
Of course I am not planning to use it just/only for family/friends images.

fotografz

Slammed AGAIN!

No sooner did I finish shoveling 1.5' of snow off the walk ... then along comes another dump of the white stuff ... Grrrr! ... :mad:

Kinda pretty though, so I took a little stroll with the S2 ... the only thing remarkable about the snaps is that they were taken in a blizzard without regard for the MFD camera, which had wet snow piled up on it until it was mostly white instead of black ... ;)

(I need a REAL photo job to exercise this pup! :ROTFL:)

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
This Leica gear acquisition habit is costly. If you want to avoid lusting after more, you have to refuse all impulses to try out the gear. I have the 70 and the 180 was thinking that I could just get by with the 110/2 as a nice in-between portrait lens.

That is, until I tried out a 120 a friend is lending me over the weekend while he uses my 180 at the Super Bowl. Size-wise, it is shorter than I expected and is about the same length as the Zeiss 110/2 with the adapter. It's wider than the Zeiss, but not awkwardly so. Focus is noisier with the 120 than the 70 and the 180 ... more of high-pitched whirl sound.

In the town just down the road, they hold an annual winter festival with the central activity revolving around a bed race between local businesses on the frozen river that flows through town. I thought that this might present a great opportunity to see how I liked using the 120.

Bottom line is that the 120 is no disappointment. It flat out delivers sharp details and a crisp look that fits in well with the other S lenses. I'm glad the lens is currently very hard to secure as it'll provide me with some time to start saving.

fotografz

I'd feel sorry for you Marc, but it's snowing again here on this side of the big lake this morning. ;)
Thanks Kirt, that usually means it'll dump on us by evening ... :eek:

Oh well, at least someone is having fun ... my sister-in-law and her hyperkinetic doggie "Princess" ... fun practice with the S2 AF and 180. Further proof that the "serious" S2 can also do double duty as an everyday "goof-off" camera :rolleyes:

The S2 did as well as my Sony A900 ... probably because the subject is such a contrast to the background ... some of them were even done with AFc.

-Marc

jonoslack

Yep, it's snowing again.

-Marc
Count yourself lucky - here it's deep drab grey and very windy, no kind of photographic weather (I'd much rather have snow and cold) . . . . and now I'm jealous of Tom and his S2 as well :cry::cry: (congratulations Tom).

Actually, much bigger congratulations Tom . . . and when do we get the pictures?

I'm not doubting my decision, just that sometimes it's not a comfortable one!

all the best
have a great week.

fotografz

Count yourself lucky - here it's deep drab grey and very windy, no kind of photographic weather (I'd much rather have snow and cold) . . . . and now I'm jealous of Tom and his S2 as well :cry::cry: (congratulations Tom).

Actually, much bigger congratulations Tom . . . and when do we get the pictures?

I'm not doubting my decision, just that sometimes it's not a comfortable one!

all the best
have a great week.
You will succumb. ;)

What cannot be conveyed here are what the prints look like ... M9ish only bigger, AF and 180mm :ROTFL:

-Marc

PeterA

We have moved house over the last week which coincided with massive rain storms here in Melbourne ( of course ) so not too much chance to play yet..still here is a snap from this afternoon just because :)

It has been interesting to compare it against my other systems...I never thought I would find a camera to challenge my love of the M9 - this thing is like a DMR in steroids,,,

and I want to go shooting with it - it is so much a pleasure to hold and use ..

Pete

Paratom

It has been interesting to compare it against my other systems...I never thought I would find a camera to challenge my love of the M9 - this thing is like a DMR in steroids,,,

Pete
Hi Peter,
I like that image and I also agree with your statement how good the camera feels in the hand. The simplicity of the user interface (even if some may say Leica overdid it a little), the solid feel of body and lenses.
By the way so far I am pretty happy with the accurancy of AF which had been my biggest concern (besides price) before having used the S2.
Now if I could only decide between 120mm and 180mm as my third lens.

Hope to see more images form you soon,
Tom

fotografz

We have moved house over the last week which coincided with massive rain storms here in Melbourne ( of course ) so not too much chance to play yet..still here is a snap from this afternoon just because :)

Pete
:thumbs:

-Marc