The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

ceh

Peter,
congratulations.:thumbup:
Lens Summarit 2,5/35 is on the way ;)
Austrian Alps

David K

Workshop Member
Hi Peter... glad to see you got your new kit. From what I've been reading in the papers you guys have had more than your share of bad weather down under. Hope that improves and you get some time to shoot.

Finally had a chance to play with the Hassy 110/2 with the adapter. This shot was more of a test to see how well I could do with MF and whether the DOF was too shallow. He's a local model... she's his wife. I shot their wedding a year or so ago and they are still in that wonderful first blush of love and romance.

ceh

Hi David,
you have a photo where the lady of focus?
A man is out of focus..
I think the same position...:)

Paratom

I also like the second one better. Looks great!

I dont have the time I wish I had but shot a little bit more now with the S2 and have to say I am very happy with the camera so far.
The color and curves and tones of the files are just how I like it, they look like what I feel to have seen in reality with maybe a very very slight push in saturation and pop. (Letting al paramters like they were)
Specially Skin which I find the most difficult thing wth many cameras.

With some cameras I own the images look great on the display but later on I am sometimes disappointed and in full size they look slightly worse, with the S2 it seems the opposite, they look good on the display and even better in full size later on.

PeterA

Hi Tom ( glad you are enjoing your camera - beautiful shots of yoru daughter!), Marc ( I told you if you bought one I would -:)) Mark -thanks, CEH ( love all those beautiful Alpine shots -looking forward to some 35mm shots) and David enjoiyng your posts and looking forward to the arrival of my adaptor as I have a few high quality Zeiss lenses I wish to try..finally David Farkas thanks for all your help too -:)

The weather down here has been awful across the continent from floods to bush fires extreme weather events are common to Australia but it has been a frustrating summer this year.

I will be looking to make up some of my own profiles for the camera - perhaps those of you a bit more advanced in this area might like to swap notes?

Thus far I only have the 70 and I must say it is the best 'normal' focal length lens I have ever used - this is saying something for me - as a person who owns 5 different Leica M 50's! I judge a system by the way the lenses draw - this 70mm is not only super sharp - but also delivers a lovely OOF rendition when required as well as being able to focus very very close...amazing.

I am thinking the 35mm will be my next addition..

Pete

jonoslack

Well - Peter, love your coffee cup - Tom - great shots of Carolin . . .

Of course I'm getting vicarious pleasure from all your excitement . . . . and if you believe that :loco:

must stick to decision

woodyspedden

Hi Tom ( glad you are enjoing your camera - beautiful shots of yoru daughter!), Marc ( I told you if you bought one I would -:)) Mark -thanks, CEH ( love all those beautiful Alpine shots -looking forward to some 35mm shots) and David enjoiyng your posts and looking forward to the arrival of my adaptor as I have a few high quality Zeiss lenses I wish to try..finally David Farkas thanks for all your help too -:)

The weather down here has been awful across the continent from floods to bush fires extreme weather events are common to Australia but it has been a frustrating summer this year.

I will be looking to make up some of my own profiles for the camera - perhaps those of you a bit more advanced in this area might like to swap notes?

Thus far I only have the 70 and I must say it is the best 'normal' focal length lens I have ever used - this is saying something for me - as a person who owns 5 different Leica M 50's! I judge a system by the way the lenses draw - this 70mm is not only super sharp - but also delivers a lovely OOF rendition when required as well as being able to focus very very close...amazing.

I am thinking the 35mm will be my next addition..

Pete
Hi Peter

Just a note to you. I went exactly the same route as you and bought the S2 with the 70mm lens. I was committed to using that combination thoroughly to see how the camera performed as opposed to my usual approach of buying every lens available and thus never really pinning down the system.

I had the Hassy FE 110 2.0 and bought the Hassy to S2 converter from David Farkas to use with it. Of course using this combination required total manual operation i.e. focus, metering etc. However it was a very short learning curve and man this is the portrait combo of a lifetime. This lens, with virtually any compatible body, is just stunning. If anyone owns a really good copy they should keep it forever.

I am planning to buy the 120 Macro and finally I am looking for a very good copy of the Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA for long work. I think this total system will suffice for most if not all of my needs. So I am looking forward to spring and acquiring all of this gear and head for the canyons of the American Desert Southwest.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you in assessing your needs as well. Email me if you would like to comment or ask questions.

Your friend

Woody

Paratom

Hi Peter

I had the Hassy FE 110 2.0 and bought the Hassy to S2 converter from David Farkas to use with it. Of course using this combination required total manual operation i.e. focus, metering etc. However it was a very short learning curve and man this is the portrait combo of a lifetime. This lens, with virtually any compatible body, is just stunning. If anyone owns a really good copy they should keep it forever.

I am planning to buy the 120 Macro and finally I am looking for a very good copy of the Zeiss/Hassy V 350 SA for long work. I think this total system will suffice for most if not all of my needs. So I am looking forward to spring and acquiring all of this gear and head for the canyons of the American Desert Southwest.
Hi Woody,

one thing I have experienced over the last days is that even wide open at least the 70mm lens (the only one I have now) shows every little bit of detail in skin-which is sometimes not wanted.
So I either have to learn how to soften in post, or I eventually thought that in some cases a lens with a little more "gentle" drawing - like maybe the 110/2.0 Zeiss -might be the way to go.
But then I also plan to get the 120mm and ask myself -how often would you use the 110 fully manual when one ownes the 120 with AF and automac f-stop etc. So far I have resisted to go for the 110 Hassy.
In the end i think it should be possible to do some post processing if images are too sharp. I think Marc has shown some example where he had done this with a plugin.
Do you believe yours will get much use after you have the 120 Macro?
I also wonder if Leica will bring a particular portrait lens, like a 100/2.0 for the S System.

It seems that the user base of S2 people is growing, which is also good for us since it lets me hope that Leica will continue to expand the system. (However I still hope for my bank account that they will keep the number of lenses offered limited ;) )
Tom

Regards, Tom

Paratom

I'm as big a fan as Woody of the Hassy FE 110/2 and if I'm not mistaken that's one of my copies he's shooting with. Good thing I didn't take his advice and keep it forever. Since I don't shoot macro I will probably pass on the Leica 120 which is very close in focal length and probably not an optimal portrait lens. The 180mm, however, is an outstanding portrait lens. My good friend Andre Rowe and I shot this model recently... as usual, his shots are better... so I'll post a few of his images. Kidding aside my experience with the S2 (and MF in general) is that it rewards good technique and penalizes bad dramatically. Very small differences in focus can have a great effect on the final result.
Do you think the 180 draws different than the 120 besides focal length?

David K

Workshop Member
Do you think the 180 draws different than the 120 besides focal length?
I have not shot with the 120 so have no opinion. David Farkas would be a better person to ask.

ceh... not sure I understand the question but if you're asking about the lighting, it's the Broncolor verso pack with the P65 reflector.

Paratom

I have not shot with the 120 so have no opinion. David Farkas would be a better person to ask.

ceh... not sure I understand the question but if you're asking about the lighting, it's the Broncolor verso pack with the P65 reflector.
Thanks David- I now have decided to go for the 120 - I believe for my use its more flexibel (with its macro capability, also short focusing distance should help for "tight" portraits, and also I think I like the focal length plus its faster). I am sure here and then I might miss the reach of the 180 but maybe a 180 (or a longer focal length?) in the longer future.

Any body any tips how to smoothen portrait images if they are to sharp ?

For now I am skipping the 110 as much as I loved it on my Hy6. I want to (try) to keep this kit simple/not too many lenses.
Dont know what happens if I would see a real cheap sample of the 110 though.

Tom

fotografz

Thanks David- I now have decided to go for the 120 - I believe for my use its more flexibel (with its macro capability, also short focusing distance should help for "tight" portraits, and also I think I like the focal length plus its faster). I am sure here and then I might miss the reach of the 180 but maybe a 180 (or a longer focal length?) in the longer future.

Any body any tips how to smoothen portrait images if they are to sharp ?

For now I am skipping the 110 as much as I loved it on my Hy6. I want to (try) to keep this kit simple/not too many lenses.
Dont know what happens if I would see a real cheap sample of the 110 though.

Tom
Tom,

Get a Zeiss Softar-I for the 120 macro ... it'll look like a 110/2 then : -) Nothing like the Softar.

For Post work ... take a look at OnOne Photo Tools 2.6 plug-in :thumbs: The Portrait enhancement tools are excellent and
they can be applied selectively, or as a one button solution. It's my go to software for weddings and portraits. Fast, easy, reversible.

-Marc

ceh

Tom,

Get a Zeiss Softar-I for the 120 macro ... it'll look like a 110/2 then : -) Nothing like the Softar.

For Post work ... take a look at OnOne Photo Tools 2.6 plug-in :thumbs: The Portrait enhancement tools are excellent and
they can be applied selectively, or as a one button solution. It's my go to software for weddings and portraits. Fast, easy, reversible.

-Marc
..excellent tip:thumbup:
Thanks.