The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Paratom

Tom,

Get a Zeiss Softar-I for the 120 macro ... it'll look like a 110/2 then : -) Nothing like the Softar.

For Post work ... take a look at OnOne Photo Tools 2.6 plug-in :thumbs: The Portrait enhancement tools are excellent and
they can be applied selectively, or as a one button solution. It's my go to software for weddings and portraits. Fast, easy, reversible.

-Marc
Thank you Marc!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Personally, I don't feel that any lens is too sharp for portraiture. Yes, you can always soften in post, but I prefer better makeup and retouching that doesn't destroy the natural texture of the skin (if we are talking commercial/fashion/advertising work). I'd so much rather see texture than the dreaded plastic skin of certain heavily-AA'd cameras and photographers who are a little too aggressive on the negative clarity slider (-100!!! :eek:).

Although.... just applying -10 clarity in LR will do wonders for skin, without going too far.

To get back on topic, the 120 is a phenomenal portrait lens. And, so is the 180. They both have a very similar look with very sharp in-focus areas and smooth bokeh in the OOF zones. :thumbup:

David

David K

Workshop Member
Tom, David F's suggestion about reducing clarity in LR is a good one. I use that myself if I'm bypassing CS5. I'm not familiar with the software Marc uses but if he's using it I'm quite sure it's very good. My software of choice is Portraiture by Imagenomic. Bit of a learning curve but not too difficult and it operates as a plug-in within CS5 (or LR) which I like. Pretty sure they have a trial download if you want to give it a test drive.

David K

Workshop Member
My daughter's new puppy. Remarkable eyes on this dog. It also replaced a boyfriend that I wasn't too thrilled with :) The closeup is a crop from the first image. All with the 70mm.

PeterA

Beautiful shots David - and a great 'fatherly' thing to give your daughter. That dog will only ever love her and protect her his whole life.

What type of dog is that -btw?

Pete

David K

Workshop Member
Pete... it's a Siberian Husky. Probably not the best breed to raise in Florida but it's the one she fell in love with. I haven't had much experience shooting dogs but I like to get down low when I do. The picnic table was a blessing, especially with no WL or right angle finder.

doug

Pete... it's a Siberian Husky. Probably not the best breed to raise in Florida but it's the one she fell in love with. I haven't had much experience shooting dogs but I like to get down low when I do. The picnic table was a blessing, especially with no WL or right angle finder.
Beautiful photos of the pup & daughter. She should be sure to have a well-fenced yard for the dog, Siberians are escape artists and when they get loose they love to run (that's what they were bred for!). My Siberian was almost 15 years old when he passed away last summer.

ceh

My daughter's new puppy. Remarkable eyes on this dog. It also replaced a boyfriend that I wasn't too thrilled with :) The closeup is a crop from the first image. All with the 70mm.
..beautiful photos

Paratom

not typical MF area to shoot 2 week old babys in available light (thats what you do when you have a baby and a new camera and are tight up at home)
640 ISO pushed 1 stop 1/25 Sek handheld (with some "sofa" support for my arm) - I think the S2 is very well damped.
I tried the clarity minus10 here.

Lloyd

not typical MF area to shoot 2 week old babys in available light (thats what you do when you have a baby and a new camera and are tight up at home)
640 ISO pushed 1 stop 1/25 Sek handheld (with some "sofa" support for my arm) - I think the S2 is very well damped.
Congratulations Tom. Beautiful shot of a beautiful child.

ceh

..absolutely great shot:thumbs:
Leica S2 is so universal :thumbup::thumbup:

Lloyd

Gorgeous dog. Those eyes are amazing.

:OT:As a father who's been in the same position, I have to ask, has your daughter ever had a boyfriend you were thrilled with? ;) (Never happened to me, so I was just wondering.)

Paratom

Gorgeous dog. Those eyes are amazing.

:OT:As a father who's been in the same position, I have to ask, has your daughter ever had a boyfriend you were thrilled with? ;) (Never happened to me, so I was just wondering.)
:watch: Since my daughters are 3 years and 2 weeks old only the guys are not showing up yet - so I have some time left. Until then I can exchange some of my camera gear with heavy weapons to express myself ;)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Beautiful shots David. That Husky has some amazing eyes for sure!

But as beautiful as your daughter is, as a father myself I would have bought her a pet Bengal Tiger instead... mite stand a chance of keeping the boys at bay a slight bit longer :ROTFL:

David K

Workshop Member
Steve, good to see another S shooter join us.

Chuck, keeping the boys at bay with a Bengal tiger is a fine idea. The way my daughter showers love on that puppy he's more likely to lick than bite.

Lloyd, "thrilled" is not a word I'd use to describe any of the suiters I've seen so far. Still waiting for that college athlete, Rhodes scholar, well brought up type with no ink to come knocking on the door :)

Tom, your images aren't showing up for me. Hope to see them soon.