The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

PeterA

Vic - Those IQ backs offer some neat features. I try but can't convince myself I will ever use or need 80 megapixels....however I need somethign for my Alpa fetish and the IQ40 ticks that box for sure - lets me use my existing wides without having to fork out for the newer larger image circles..
The S2 is a DSLR with 40 megapixels and ( judging by teh 70mm the best glass ever seen in MFD - sans tech stuff) -then again Leaf in Afi mount kills two birds with one stone so to speak - but no IQ style GUI..

yes lots always to think about..
Pete
Apologies everyone for too much words? - back to pictures!

Paratom

Kurt,
great images and the colors of the sand and stone are one thing where I find the MF rendering to be a real benefit.
You make it hard for me though to resist the 180. It will not happen that I become week before even having received the 120.
I think however in a long term I want one longer lens too.
The decission with Hassy glass on the S2 is hard. What I dont want is to spend 1000 € or 2000 € for Hassy glass to save money and then add Leica glass later on anyways and having spend even more than just buying Leica in the first step.
However for a lens which is not used very often it could be fine to work without AF and automated f-stop.
Is there anywhere a thread where I can find infos how well which lenses work on the S2? If not, maybe we should start one.

Paratom

While waiting for Davids surprize I could pick up my 35mm lens, leave work a little earlier and shot some first images with it. (River Rhine)

and one with the 70mm:

Paratom

the biggest disadvantage of the S2 I see so far is its price/high value. I like it so much that I would want to bring it in condiions and at places where one is a little bit afraid with such expensive equipment.

and then there is the "carry what to where in which bag" question.
Do you carry 3 lenses for longer hikes? In which bag?
I have borrowed Think-O-Matic20 to check it out. Looks funky but it could work well for the S2 with 2-3 lenses.
The alternative would be Marks suggestion to carry the lenses in a seperate bag.

Did I mention that I like the camera?

David K

Workshop Member
Beautiful shot Arif. I took a quick look at your website and saw some great images. I particularly liked your dance shots many of which remind me of shots taken by my good friend Chuck Jones (his Tango series). Did you shoot these with a Leica M ?

Excellent photo and B&W conversion Arif. I bet it would look incredible printed large. There seems to be lots of detail and subtle tones.

Paratom

I can only agree Arif. Beautiful image, I also particulary liked the portraits on your website. Impressive.

Arif

Absolutely wonderful. :thumbs:

Film like tonal response.

-Marc
Thank you Marc, I was happy with the S2 results.

Excellent photo and B&W conversion Arif. I bet it would look incredible printed large. There seems to be lots of detail and subtle tones.
Thanks Mark, I am in the process of selecting my Myanmar pictures and will print them. I have a feeling this picture will turn out well.

I can only agree Arif. Beautiful image, I also particulary liked the portraits on your website. Impressive.
Thank you Tom. I always appreciate your continued support.

Best regards,
Arif

Arif

Beautiful shot Arif. I took a quick look at your website and saw some great images. I particularly liked your dance shots many of which remind me of shots taken by my good friend Chuck Jones (his Tango series). Did you shoot these with a Leica M ?
Thank you very much David for taking the time to visit my site. Most of the tango shots were done in the same evening and were done with the D3/85 1.4 combination. I wish my M focussing skills were good enough to get these type of shots ;)

Thanks again,
Arif

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
This one's for the birdman. I wish I had a little more length, but the added pixels let me crop in a little closer.

Nice one Kurt. I will see your bird and raise you one plus a crop.

First is full frame with the 180mm

Crop of the full frame image above

ISO 1250 cleans up nicely in LR3. The image gets a bit too smooth (plastic looking) and looses some pop (DR and contrast). However, it may be possible to find better settings with some practice. Still, its better than not getting the shot.

Full Frame - 180mm at ISO 1250

Crop

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt, Mark... you guys are pretty brave posting bird shots with Doug Herr looking over your shoulders :) I've done my fair share of that kind of shooting but not with MF as it didn't have the reach I needed. Still, the detail and color in that last crop of Mark's is impressive... especially for ISO 1250. Kurt, glad to see you found someplace warm to shoot.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Mark, thanks for posting these. The S2 detail is excellent.

David, I'm actually in your neck of the swamp for a few days for a convention in Orlando. I tried to step out and find a few large birds after I left the airport on my way to the hotel. If we could adapt Doug's 280/4 to an S-mount, he'd be in a lot of trouble.