The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

woodyspedden

Forget the lens chatter ... we better see some baby pictures with the S2 Woody!!!!!

Best to shoot them right after birth ... then again at 6 months when they have some sort of personality to exhibit. Go Grandpa, GO!

All the best,

-Marc
Hey Marc

My plan is to be at the hospital with Heather (my daughter) and will start shooting just as soon as they let me do so. Usually I get to start beginning at the official weigh-in and then I just keep going. It will be flash of course but hopefully I will get some good images

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hey Marc

My plan is to be at the hospital with Heather (my daughter) and will start shooting just as soon as they let me do so. Usually I get to start beginning at the official weigh-in and then I just keep going. It will be flash of course but hopefully I will get some good images

Woody
Woody,

Don't be afraid to use ISO 320 or 640. With a bounced flash, you should be able to achieve a natural look. The S2 and the SF58 works exceptionally well together.

David

Paratom

Hi Woody,
great to hear about your upcoming family member.
We just got a little girl 4 weeks ago-I still would recommend to also bring a small and quiet camera. The first images I took were with an x1, you dont want to wake up a baby who just takes its first nap ;)
However after 4 weeks I think she is now used so much to the shutter of the S2 that it even helps to make her feel compfortable. I think my kids recognize me by the shutter sound of my cameras.

woodyspedden

Woody,

Don't be afraid to use ISO 320 or 640. With a bounced flash, you should be able to achieve a natural look. The S2 and the SF58 works exceptionally well together.

David
David

Will do.

In fact, after seeing what Mark accomplished at ISO 1250 with the birds I am willing to go for it. But as you know, hospitals are very dark and the fluorescent lighting terrible so I will still use flash. (Bounced of course)

Woody

D&A

great image and great subject/weather - very interesting to look over and under the clouds at the same time.
From this screen shot (and particular image), I can just imagine the DR captured by the S2. Lovely shot and as mentioned, interesting perspective from the vantage point it was taken from.

Dave (D&A)

David K

Workshop Member
Every so often I visit Bethesda by the Sea church in Palm Beach to take some photos. Thought I'd try my hand at capturing the beauty of the stained glass windows there. Even when the shots don't turn out as well as I'd like I always enjoy my time there. Not sure my rabbi would approve :)

Fates

Wow. The IQ of this camera is EPIC. As a new M9 owner, maybe I should have saved up 4x the scratch to jump into these waters... but I kid my photographic talents. Great thread everyone!

PeterA

I am sure your rabbi would approve David as an Orthodox Christian our priests constantly remind us of the fact that we are Judaeo Christians I guess that means an eye for an eye and the other one loking gthrough an s2 viewfinder?:ROTFL: good to see you using your S2 so much
Pete

David K

Workshop Member
I think all of us who shoot MF have, on more than one occasion, marvelled at the detail that these cameras are able to capture. Here's an unretouched, poorly exposed shot that's headed for the trash bin but I thought I'd share it (and the the lightened crop of the base of the cross) as an example of what's in these files if you look hard. So much more than the eye can see.

Kind of a funny story from this shoot. I'm in the Church alone and two fellows walk in and see me with my camera and tripod and the first words out of their mouth are: "Is that the S2?". Turns out they were architectural photographers scouting the location for a workshop they are holding there.

Pete, I reach for the S2 much more often than I ever did with the Sinar/Hy6 kit. Thats a big part of why I made the switch.

Mark, next trip down we should go there together with Roger.

fotografz

I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread.:thumbup: No exotic locations for me ... we are snowed in and confined to the not so great indoors :( I don't have gear envy, I have location envy :ROTFL:

Did have a short S2 portrait session this past weekend ... typical family portrait at their home: Was told there would be 6 people, there were 9 including a dog and a 5 year old :wtf:, The location didn't have any space to shoot ... even the 70 was to long and the 35 distorted the people too much ... and the one room I could just barely use the 70 by pressing up against the furthest wall, featured a low ceiling ... so no way to get the umbrellas high enough. Such are the trials and tribulations of a "concierge" photographer. :salute: Had an hour to shoot before everyone left for a birthday bash ... 12 different set-ups.:bugeyes:

The S2 was tethered to my laptop shooting to LR using compressed DNGs ... pretty quick, but will now use the new shuttle for even faster review. The S2 performed flawlessly.

The one bright spot was it was a Korean family and they "sprung" some traditional Korean wardrobe on me 1/2 hour into the shoot ... here is one with the Grandparents fussing over the 5 year old ...

Marc

GMB

I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread.:thumbup:

Marc
I agree.

As some of you may know, I have been following this thread and others on the S2 for quiete some time. It is now J-Day -3. I will pick up a 70 mm on Friday and the S2 with a 35 mm on Saturday :D:D:D. I only hope we will have some decent light here over the weekend to get it to work.

Georg

Georg, Congratulations on succumbing to the S2. I look forward to you posting some photos. There is getting to be a pretty good group of S2 shooters hear now. It's great to see the variety of subjects, locations, and conditions the S2 is being used.

David, I will be sure to meet up with you and Roger next time I am down that way. There is a very good variety of stuff to shoot there. Are the church photos from the church you pointed out to Roger and I on our way to the Ferrari show?

D&A

I must say there are some lovely photographs in this thread.:thumbup: No exotic locations for me ... we are snowed in and confined to the not so great indoors :( I don't have gear envy, I have location envy :ROTFL:

Did have a short S2 portrait session this past weekend ... typical family portrait at their home: Was told there would be 6 people, there were 9 including a dog and a 5 year old :wtf:, The location didn't have any space to shoot ... even the 70 was to long and the 35 distorted the people too much ... and the one room I could just barely use the 70 by pressing up against the furthest wall, featured a low ceiling ... so no way to get the umbrellas high enough. Such are the trials and tribulations of a "concierge" photographer. :salute: Had an hour to shoot before everyone left for a birthday bash ... 12 different set-ups.:bugeyes:

The S2 was tethered to my laptop shooting to LR using compressed DNGs ... pretty quick, but will now use the new shuttle for even faster review. The S2 performed flawlessly.

The one bright spot was it was a Korean family and they "sprung" some traditional Korean wardrobe on me 1/2 hour into the shoot ... here is one with the Grandparents fussing over the 5 year old ...

Marc
Marc, whats so impressive to me, technically speaking, in your posted shot is not only the simultanious reproduction and depth of all those bright vivid colors and textures and patterns in their outfits, but of the apparent accuracy and subtleness captured of the skin tones of each individual (seperately)...this aside from the attractive nature of the shot.

Hey wait, this was shot with a Leica...then why are those black socks black, not magenta? :)