The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

The last photo with the gnarly tree is my favorite of this set. It would be even better if the bit of dark foliage wasn't in the upper left corner.

David K

Workshop Member
Very nice Tom... I like the second in the set. Placing a rock on the monument is part of the Jewish tradition and serves as a reminder that the family has visited and the grave is attended and cared for.

Paratom

Very nice Tom... I like the second in the set. Placing a rock on the monument is part of the Jewish tradition and serves as a reminder that the family has visited and the grave is attended and cared for.
So I guess this must be the grave of someone special. I like to go there another time with better background information:

rmueller

So I guess this must be the grave of someone special. I like to go there another time with better background information
Hi Tom,

It seems the grave of Rabbi Meir from Rothenburg and Alexander ben Salomo.

There is tons of material available on the Internet, see for example
http://www.alemannia-judaica.de/worms_friedhof.htm
(in german language).

Next time you go there let me know, its about 40 minute drive from my place.

Regards,
Ralf

ceh

Thank you all for your comments.
Very appreciate it:salute:
I used my new 35 mm Summarit:)

GMB

I picked up the S2 in Germany yesterday. The dealer was the same where Tom had bought his and Tom came to the shop with his family and they, my wife, and myself had a coffee afterward. Unfortunately, it was already getting dark so Tom and I could not go for an S2 shoot out, but may be next time.

There are, unfortunately, also three issues that I encountered with the camera :( but I hope they can be fixed easily or are due to user error.

First, and clearly the most problematic, is that the SF58, which I bought new on Friday, won't fire on the S2 (it works flawlessly on the M9). When on the S2, the flash symbol appears in the view find, the flash it sends out some red lights, but won't fire when the shutter is pressed. I tried everything and several times but without success (I also switched the camera off before putting on the flash and I even reset the camera to factory settings to be sure there was not the odd setting). Any leads appreciated.

Second, when previewing, zooming into shots is sometimes slow. Specifically, I zoom in, but it takes time before the zoomed picture appears. (Note, I have a new 60MB/s Scandisk card).

Third, there seems to be an issue with either the information regarding card capacity our my mathematical abilities. My understanding is that compressed DNGs are files of some 39Mb each. Thus, an 8GB card should give some 200 shots and a 16 GB some 400. However, when I put the 16 GB card in, it only showed 201 free shots and the 8 GB card only 101 shots (after formatting).

Beside the above mentioned issues, overall experience after a half day of shooting pretty good. I realized however, that I will be on a steep learning curve, in particular the very shallow depth of field and risk of motion blurr with the larger sensor. Also, for the past 5 years I only shot rangefinder (Leica M7, 8, 9 and Hassi Xpan), and I have to get used to the size of the S2. But I am hopeful that it will be the beginning of a long and lasting friendship:).

Finally, in the good tradition of this thread, my first S2 shots posted include a dog shot.

View attachment 40914

Looking at the other posts, the choice was between a dog, gorgeous models hanging out on the pool, snowy mountains, or little babies. I don't have the latter any more, there are no mountains to speak of anywhere close, and trying to persuade a model to pose in a bikini at 4 degree Celsius seemed a bit of a stretch :cool:. So I went for the dog, even though a black dog in poor lightning is not an easy target for the S2. Several shots had the nose but not the eyes in focus.

The others were grabbed for fun during the walk with the dog.

View attachment 40915

View attachment 40916

View attachment 40917

Georg

Congratulations Georg. I think the answer to your first problem is simple. The flash has to be set to TTL-HSS, otherwise it won't fire. There is a thread about the SF-58 on S2 over on LUF.

The second problem isn't a problem. It is a compromise chosen in the recent version of firmware. Previously the zoom was rather instantaneous, but now there is a delay in image rendering after about the second or third zoom step. I think this has something to do with the later firmware using larger preview jpgs to speed up tethering image preview. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong. Bottom line is the delay in image review rendering is now normal. That wasn't the case a few months ago.

The third problem regarding the number of images per card is perhaps because you didn't select compressed DNG. Your math is correct in that you should be able to get about 200 compressed DNG images on an 8 gb card. Perhaps when you toggled to the compressed DNG, but didn't confirm the selection in the menu by pressing the click-wheel.

Oh, I forgot to offer you some encouragement in getting familiar with your new S2. The more shallow depth of field has been and still is a challenge for me to adapt to. The need for more shutter speed and/or better handheld technique doesn't take as long to adapt. Although it can be frustrating at time, the learning curve coming from 35mm to MF is well worth it when you get it right.

GMB

Mark--Many thanks for your prompt response. The fact that the flash did not work really caused me a headache. With TTL-HSS is worked.:D:D:D

As regards the number of shots, the odd thing is that it makes no difference whether I check compressed or not :eek::eek:.

Thanks also for the encouragement. I am really looking forward to trying out the camera in good light. That should help.

Cheers,

Georg

fotografz

I picked up the S2 in Germany yesterday. The dealer was the same where Tom had bought his and Tom came to the shop with his family and they, my wife, and myself had a coffee afterward. Unfortunately, it was already getting dark so Tom and I could not go for an S2 shoot out, but may be next time.

There are, unfortunately, also three issues that I encountered with the camera :( but I hope they can be fixed easily or are due to user error.

First, and clearly the most problematic, is that the SF58, which I bought new on Friday, won't fire on the S2 (it works flawlessly on the M9). When on the S2, the flash symbol appears in the view find, the flash it sends out some red lights, but won't fire when the shutter is pressed. I tried everything and several times but without success (I also switched the camera off before putting on the flash and I even reset the camera to factory settings to be sure there was not the odd setting). Any leads appreciated.

Second, when previewing, zooming into shots is sometimes slow. Specifically, I zoom in, but it takes time before the zoomed picture appears. (Note, I have a new 60MB/s Scandisk card).

Third, there seems to be an issue with either the information regarding card capacity our my mathematical abilities. My understanding is that compressed DNGs are files of some 39Mb each. Thus, an 8GB card should give some 200 shots and a 16 GB some 400. However, when I put the 16 GB card in, it only showed 201 free shots and the 8 GB card only 101 shots (after formatting).

Beside the above mentioned issues, overall experience after a half day of shooting pretty good. I realized however, that I will be on a steep learning curve, in particular the very shallow depth of field and risk of motion blurr with the larger sensor. Also, for the past 5 years I only shot rangefinder (Leica M7, 8, 9 and Hassi Xpan), and I have to get used to the size of the S2. But I am hopeful that it will be the beginning of a long and lasting friendship:).

Finally, in the good tradition of this thread, my first S2 shots posted include a dog shot.

View attachment 40914

Looking at the other posts, the choice was between a dog, gorgeous models hanging out on the pool, snowy mountains, or little babies. I don't have the latter any more, there are no mountains to speak of anywhere close, and trying to persuade a model to pose in a bikini at 4 degree Celsius seemed a bit of a stretch :cool:. So I went for the dog, even though a black dog in poor lightning is not an easy target for the S2. Several shots had the nose but not the eyes in focus.

The others were grabbed for fun during the walk with the dog.

View attachment 40915

View attachment 40916

View attachment 40917

Georg
:thumbs:Georg!

Nice, natural looking first post of images.

Not problems but user error :)

The SF58 will not fire unless set to TTL HSS in the flash menu under mode. If set to TTL, it will not fire. It is just the way it is.

The capacity of the card is determined by full RAW files ... when I have the camera set to uncompressed DNG, the number is 403 with a 32 Gig Sandisk Extreem Pro, with the camera set to Compressed DNG the number remains at 403. 201 shots with a 16 gig card is correct. What is important is that it shows what you have left as you shoot.

Can't answer the zoom question without seeing how fast it actually is for you.

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Contrats on the new kit Georg and glad most of your issues got resolved quickly and painlessly. You should make sure you have the (recently released) latest firmware. I don't know if the speed of the CF card makes a difference in zooming speed but I do know that my 90MBS CF card works faster than the 60MBS that I replaced (which is not the case on my Nikon D3S). Unfortunate since the 90's are 2x the price of the 60's (I know because I ordered some more today). Glad you posted your issues because I learned something I didn't know from the answers.

GMB

:thumbs:Georg!

Nice, natural looking first post of images.

Not problems but user error :)

The SF58 will not fire unless set to TTL HSS in the flash menu under mode. If set to TTL, it will not fire. It is just the way it is.

The capacity of the card is determined by full RAW files ... when I have the camera set to uncompressed DNG, the number is 403 with a 32 Gig Sandisk Extreem Pro, with the camera set to Compressed DNG the number remains at 403. 201 shots with a 16 gig card is correct. What is important is that it shows what you have left as you shoot.

Can't answer the zoom question without seeing how fast it actually is for you.

-Marc
Thanks Marc. I am really happy I joined the club :thumbup: (no Gaucho Marks second thoughts here :D). Your many postings on this forum and on LUF were a great help for me. Odd thing with the counting, but once I noted that the number did not change whether the setting was compressed or not, I realized that it must be something stupid.

Georg

GMB

David, Thanks. The speed for zooming is not an issue in practice. I was merely concerned that it could be a hint that something was wrong with the camera. Obviously it is not, and that's the most important.

Georg

Paratom

Hi Georg,
I think thats one of the main differences between Canikon shooters and Leiconians: The first group prefers cat images and the second group dog images ;)
The weather was so bad here today that I was afraid you wont have a chance to go shooting but obviously you did have a chance to get some nice shots.

The DOF is really shallow but I still believe the thransition between sharp plane and OOF-areas is more smooth than with smaller sensors.
I like shooting wide open a lot. Also specially with the 70mm Summarit the Bokeh is really smooth.
I know there are some people who had problems with the S2 AF but personally I am so far convinced that the AF-System is up to focus this kind of shallow DOF.

Hope you have fun with your new camera and we really enjoyed to meeting you and your wife + plus I appreciate that you spent the last hour with daylight in a cafe with us instead of fooling around with your new camera (sorry for that)

Tom