The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Arif

Arif,
like allways I also like this one with its tonality a lot. looks a bit like an old large format image. Great!
Thank you Tom! The 120 is indeed a very versatile lens and I like how it draws.

Arif,
Loved the Myanmar shot! The atmospheric haze really makes the shot work adding the sense of depth.
Thank you very much Al. I am mostly a people photographer so this was new territory. Am very satisfied with what I am getting from the S2.

Thanks again,
Arif
www.arifiqball.com

David K

Workshop Member
Cloudy day at the local car show which is a blessing with all that shiny chrome.

Here's a couple that brought back memories...

David K, I agree with David F I like the last one the best, but all three are a pleasure to view. The cloudy day worked out well. I prefer it to dealing with bright chrome highlights.

GMB

Great stuff everybody.

Tom--Your portraits show why I want the 120 (and you really make your cute daughter shine.

Arif--It must be a dream to travel Myanmar with a S2 and M9. I was there in 1987 (with a Canon AE1 and a zoom lens) on a student backpacker trip (it was about 6 months before the political unrest and one could travel as individual tourists). I still remember Pagan and that I regretted having been there without a tripod. Spectacular scenery and light. (Thanks also for the write up of the workshop.)

Marc--Enjoyed the portrait of the pregnant lady :).

Mark--The third car has a lot of atmosphere.

Kurt--Nice reportage style of shooting.

We finally had some good light this weekend. Attached are 3[ examples. The construction shot is about 100 meters away from where the EU Commission is. I should have done it with a tripod thought to get a bit more depths of field. If the weather holds, I'll try to shoot it again on next week.

Georg

View attachment 41174

View attachment 41175

View attachment 41176

Kurt, I meant to comment on your photos as well and got sidetracked. I enjoyed your photos and you showed the S2 is up to this type of photography. The vivid colors and selective focus make for interesting photos.

Paratom

Hi Georg,
very nice shots. Great Bokeh in the second.
So how do you like the S2 so far? Does it fulfil what you expected it to be?
Tom

Arif

Arif, I looked through your Myanmar portfolio and it is very impressive.
Thanks Mark, I had a great trip and felt really good shooting there. The S2 was great but my D3S did not do so well with the sensor getting too dirty to be unusable after the tenth day.

Thanks for looking,
Arif

Arif

Arif--It must be a dream to travel Myanmar with a S2 and M9. I was there in 1987 (with a Canon AE1 and a zoom lens) on a student backpacker trip (it was about 6 months before the political unrest and one could travel as individual tourists). I still remember Pagan and that I regretted having been there without a tripod. Spectacular scenery and light. (Thanks also for the write up of the workshop.)

Georg
Thanks Georg,

It was really great to have the S2 and the M9 and I could choose what I wanted to use. 1987 must have been great int hat very few people made it out there so you must have seen it very raw. The light and scenery was spectacular and the people amazingly friendly.

Thank you for reading the writeup on the Steve McCurry workshop on my blog. It was unbelievable ;)

Thanks again,
Arif

GMB

Hi Georg,

So how do you like the S2 so far? Does it fulfil what you expected it to be?
:D:D:D:D:D:D

(Jono: you would have given the same answer.)

On a more serious note, I think image quality is unbelievable. The system is quite portable (although I still need to work on my lens changing technique). All basic controlls are quite intutitive (the AF lock is particularly useful). Finally, I think that coming from the M9 (rather than a Canikon) helps because you are trained to do things deliberately rather than relying on the camera to do it for you.

I now need to order a new printer (still hesitating between the Epson 4900 or the Canan 6300 with a slight prefrence for the latter--the Epson 7900 is out because of the clogging issues) because I seriously think that the real potential of the camera, and its advantage over the M9, only shows in prints.

Georg

David K

Workshop Member
Love the last one David!
Thanks David... it was my favorite from the day. Not sure I had the WB dialed in accurately but thought the warmer look gave it more of a vintage feel. Here's another couple that came out pretty well.

One thing that doesn't show up in the photos is that my keeper rate has improved substantially in the few months I've had this camera. Also, my expectation that I could use it extensively without a tripod has proven to be the case.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Mark and Georg.

Love looking at the exotic locales you capture so beautifully, Arif.

Georg, thanks for adding to the richness of the thread.

David, I can see your comfort level increasing with the S2 in your shots. They seem to be less planned and more spontaneous which makes them feel more natural. I don't think that it can be emphasized enough how much of pleasure it is to shoot with the S2 ... I'm getting that feeling from your shots.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Here's one with the 35mm lens ... it arrived on Friday. I thought that I'd see what it looked like as a black and white with Silver Efex2.
That's sand on the beach, right? Just kidding. :D

Nice stuff Kurt. I'm sure you will put the 35 to good use.

David

David K

Workshop Member
That's sand on the beach, right? Just kidding. :D

David
So used to seeing snow from Kurt that I had to double check myself.

Kurt, thanks for the kind words. Was wondering if you're shooting your reportage style shots handheld or using a monopod. I gave mine to a friend a while back and have been thinking of replacing it with the one from RRS that Marc recommends.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks David and David. It's ice at the bottom of the bluffs along the edges of Lake Michigan. Here we are in March, and we still have a good amount of snow cover that hopefully will go away before the end of the month. Although, we're watching the forecast for another potential snowstorm on Wednesday.

Most of the time, David, I've gotten into the habit with medium format of trying to glance at the shutter speed reading before I push the shutter in aperture priority. That's helped me avoid wanting/needing to use a monopod for pj types of work. I do use a handstrap that seems to make me steadier. It only becomes dicey in low light where I try to brace myself against a wall, pillar or the shoulder of beautiful blonde to steady myself. ;)