The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

You are too modest Marc... What I think your shots demonstrate is that a talented, experienced photographer with creative ideas and an expert's knowledge of lighting can get superb images. Had to read the part about the black velvet modified strip light twice until I got what you meant. Thanks for sharing that...
Thanks David!

Yeah, it's a lot cheaper than the Profoto Egg Crate modifier for their 6' strip-light ... when the camera gobbles up all the money, you have to improvise :ROTFL:

I originally got the idea of the apron from some of the Chimera Lanterns, which come with aprons to control spill.

Here's another lighting improvisation for ya that I used on an image I can't show ... get some of that copper mesh, ball it up and stuff it in the reflector (modeling light off) ... absolutely wonderful effect ... I often use it in the Profoto Ring-light and the skin just looks fabulous. :thumbup:

-Marc

D&A

Kurt, Mark, CEH...simply lovey shots, all of them and truly illustrates what Mark emphasized in his post...that the S2 has great versitility in a wide variety of applications. The Pentax 645D has a bit of that too (currently testing out that system extensively)....but the current (and recently discontinued) line-up of Pentax "FA" AFs series) unfortunately are quite good but cannot present to the sensor what these Leica lenses are capable of.

Kurt, your street photography with the S2 reminds me greatly of similar work you did with the M9 and 50mm f0.95..which is a standout. CEH, your mountain shots and spectacular and Mark, loved the images at the car show...detail and colors just pop, and I really like the composition of the gentleman with the yellow car! If I left anyone out, it's simply from lack of time.

Marc, lovely work....truly exceptional shots of the expecting mom and couple, and am impressed by the many of the creative poses and imaginitive lighting you employed. Thanks everyone.

Dave (D&A)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
CEH,

Used to hate inversions which were fairly common in the central valley of California...almost makes one want to wear a mask. Amazing how dull and oppressive it can be.

Is this the same area that had all the snow?

If so what a change.

Bob

..briliant picture.Do your plan to print it out?
Thank you for the compliments. I doubt I will be printing this anytime soon. I have other prints I want to make before this one. I am happy to have this photo in the bank so to speak.

ceh

CEH,

Used to hate inversions which were fairly common in the central valley of California...almost makes one want to wear a mask. Amazing how dull and oppressive it can be.

Is this the same area that had all the snow?

If so what a change.

Bob
Bob,
I was waiting for sunset in the area. Some photographers slept overnight on the top of the mountain and in the morning they got totally different scenery. I couldn't stay. I didn't feel fit even during the ascent.
The photos are from a different location than the previous pictures although the main theme - mountains in the background are the same ..

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comment, Dave. I'm very happy carrying around the S2 in most scenarios where I used to carry around the M9. I do miss the 0.95 Noctilux, though. I can get nice separation with the S2 but miss the Noctilux for low-light and inside applications. I just started a new business. So hopefully, if that takes off I'll be able to acquire another Noctilux and M9 at some point in time.

Mark, I don't know how you get so close to wildlife but we're all the better for it.

Marc, really nice work. Beyond the different applications for using the S2, your images demonstrate just how malleable S2 images are to work with for a variety of looks to suit the whims of the photographer.

CEH, there's always a lovely amount of detail in your mountain images.

Kurt

Paratom

A couple more from my south Florida trip.
Egret with a Funky Background
Great detail and color.
I just had talked myself into needing just either 120mm or 180mm, deciding for the 120mm (which I really love so far) and allready starting to lust after the 180mm lens for longer reach. This is kind of addictive.

Still I find the S2 to really being all I had hoped for when getting it.

Great detail and color.
I just had talked myself into needing just either 120mm or 180mm, deciding for the 120mm (which I really love so far) and allready starting to lust after the 180mm lens for longer reach. This is kind of addictive.

Still I find the S2 to really being all I had hoped for when getting it.
Tom, I had the same struggle deciding between the 120mm and 180mm. It's not as simple of a decision as I thought it would be. In fact, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted both. However, the reality of my depleted toy fund forced me to make a choice. For me, the extra length of the 180mm was more important than the closer focus distance and faster aperture of the 120mm. The other thing nagging at me was that I know I will get the 30 - 90mm zoom as soon as it is available so the 120mm wouldn't be much longer at all. Clearly, I can rationalize just about anything.

I resisted the temptation to post crops of the egret photo. The detail is simply incredible.

Paratom

Tom, I had the same struggle deciding between the 120mm and 180mm. It's not as simple of a decision as I thought it would be. In fact, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted both. However, the reality of my depleted toy fund forced me to make a choice. For me, the extra length of the 180mm was more important than the closer focus distance and faster aperture of the 120mm. The other thing nagging at me was that I know I will get the 30 - 90mm zoom as soon as it is available so the 120mm wouldn't be much longer at all. Clearly, I can rationalize just about anything.

I resisted the temptation to post crops of the egret photo. The detail is simply incredible.
jaja...I know ;(

First I thought something little longer than 180 would be even nicer. But then I would want AF, and who knows when a 350 really comes, and how big and heavy will it be, also 350 might be even a little too long for my taste.
The 180 is a lens which is still ok for handholding (at least in good light), and size is still not too big. I am afraid I want one.:angry:

David K

Workshop Member
Had the pleasure of shooting with Morgan yesterday... she's one of my favorite models. We also did some shots for her Maxim's "hometown hotties" submission but I'll have to wait till she makes selections and get her (and Jack and Guy's) permission to post a few of those. This one's not critically sharp (manual focus) but I think it's good enough for the web.

woodyspedden

Many of you saw the shots of my newest grandson, Landon two weeks ago at his birth.

He has now lost the wrinkly look of newborns and is a very handsome fellow if I do say so myself. Looks just like my daughter.

Anyway, here are two shots I like done with the S2 and the Hassy 110 2.0.

Enjoy

Woody

ceh

Many of you saw the shots of my newest grandson, Landon two weeks ago at his birth.

He has now lost the wrinkly look of newborns and is a very handsome fellow if I do say so myself. Looks just like my daughter.

Enjoy

Woody
Bravo!:thumbup:

Paratom

Enjoy

Woody
Hi Woody,
very handsom young man!

I hope his voice is not as strong as the one of my small 6 weeks old daughter - I am evaluating different ways of ear protection ;)

doug

Hi Woody,
very handsom young man!

I hope his voice is not as strong as the one of my small 6 weeks old daughter - I am evaluating different ways of ear protection ;)
He is certainly cute! If my daughter and her 1-week-younger cousin are any guide, Woody and his daughter won't need the ear protection. My observation is that girls have a good strong voice at birth, boys have to develop their vocal abilities before they can inflict any ear damage :p

woodyspedden

He is certainly cute! If my daughter and her 1-week-younger cousin are any guide, Woody and his daughter won't need the ear protection. My observation is that girls have a good strong voice at birth, boys have to develop their vocal abilities before they can inflict any ear damage :p
Thanks Tom and Doug

He has a good strong voice but not so loud as to be painful.

Each day he matures and his looks change so. Makes me want to shoot each and every day.

Woody

fotografz

Enjoy

Woody
Better to be the Grandparent now than the Parent ... I still remember zero sleep and poopy diapers :ROTFL:

-Marc