The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

Guys, I am serious ... my greatest regret when leaving the Contax 645 system was the loss of the Zeiss 120 Macro ... and this lens is better right off the bat. Not only is the focus fall off superb, the front Bokeh is absolutely excellent ... not many lenses can pull that off. This is a world class leading optic IMHO.

Now where the heck is the 1.4XAPO for the 180, and the S24mm ... oh wait ... I have no money left ... well, just enough to buy the skid pallet of Raman Noodles I'll be eating for the next year.:ROTFL:

We must suffer for our art ... :thumbup:

-Marc

atanabe

MUST NOT LOOK . . . MUST NOT LOOK!

The good news is that my Hassey to S adapter will be here in a couple of days. This will at least give a chance to see how they all perform and to contemplate selling a portion of my liver. I'll do a comparison of the CFV vs the S2 using the same lenses - should be interesting not for absolute resolution but character of the image.

Great images Marc, the 120 looks great. Need to check on how much I can get for my left lower lobe of my liver. Right kidney gone, so this should balance the old body out.

Paratom

You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

This is cruel and unusual treatment.
Forget it- I tried to resist the 180 in favor for the 120 but looking at the images here reminds you all the time about what lens you would also want.

How can we get freedom from that? Get all 4 available lenses ;) but what when the next lenses come ?? :(

Last edited:

GMB

Forget it- I tried to resist the 180 in favor for the 120 but looking at the images here reminds you all the time about what lens you would also want.

How can we get freedom from that? Get all 4 available lenses ;) but what when the next lenses come ?? :(
I reached the same conclusion on my way to the office this morning.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Marc,

We use a 16' active USB extension cord and it works great. We put a little gaff tape around the connection between the extension cord's female socket and the male end of Leica cord as there is no lock on standard USB. We've used this setup on quite a few professional shoots and it worked perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U0...6QJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300112155&sr=8-1

They make them longer, too.

Very true about the reliability. Digital techs have been extremely impressed with the robustness of the S2's tethering. They are amazed that you can connect/disconnect without power cycling the camera and/or computer. Really nice when technology just works the way its supposed to. :thumbup:

A proprietary cable is a small price to pay for not having a loose FW cord bring the shoot to a screeching halt while everyone waits for the tech to reboot the Mac Pro (the fastest computers seem to take the longest to boot, too). Not a happy scenario, but a common one.

David
Wrong so I would be very careful ONCE again what you are referring too. Phase this does not happen, cord comes out there is no reason to reboot C1 it will recognize the Firewire and you can continue on. Also I am not in favor of a proprietary cord which means i would have to buy 3 of them at a fairly good cost over standard Firewire cables. You can reboot any Mac BTW in 20 seconds with even a second rate SSD drive. :wtf:

Once again as a dealer here get your facts straight before speaking of other systems.

H

HCHeyerdahl

Hi,
I have been following this thread for some time. Many lovely shots and obviously I am tempted to jump from FF DSLR to MF S2. However, I am a bit conserned by the limited DOF. Is there any way to view EXIF data like iso and aperture for the shots posted?

Chris

I use a plugin called efixeverywhere for safari and firefox browsers on a Mac. It works great. All you have to do is place you cursor over an image then press and hold the control key and a window will pop up with the efix data.

H

HCHeyerdahl

I use a plugin called efixeverywhere for safari and firefox browsers on a Mac. It works great. All you have to do is place you cursor over an image then press and hold the control key and a window will pop up with the efix data.
Thanks!
Never knew such plugins existed. I am on win7, but a quick google search lead me to Opanda and it works very nice.

Chris

GMB

You are killing me Marc. I have shot the 120mm before and worked very hard to forget how good it is. Now you come along and rub my face in it. The roll off from in focus to out of focus area is outstanding - not to mention how sharp it is wide open at f2.5.

This is cruel and unusual treatment.
Mark--Live is all about priorities. In anticipation of new lens purchases, I just found new premises. Still need to convince my better half of the advantage of the central location. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mark--Live is all about priorities. In anticipation of new lens purchases, I just found new premises. Still need to convince my better half of the advantage of the central location. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

May need a bit of lighting upgrades....

Bob

Good one Georg. The sad thing is its not that far from the truth when it comes to buying Leica gear.

paulmoore

Guys, I am serious ... my greatest regret when leaving the Contax 645 system was the loss of the Zeiss 120 Macro ... and this lens is better right off the bat. Not only is the focus fall off superb, the front Bokeh is absolutely excellent ... not many lenses can pull that off. This is a world class leading optic IMHO.

Now where the heck is the 1.4XAPO for the 180, and the S24mm ... oh wait ... I have no money left ... well, just enough to buy the skid pallet of Raman Noodles I'll be eating for the next year.:ROTFL:

We must suffer for our art ... :thumbup:

-Marc
I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. I think this is the best sample I have seen using the macro capabilities combined with the wide aperture; incredible intense color balanced with the softness of focus falloff.. you nailed this one for sure.
I still would love to see an hts1.5 type solution for the camera..would be pretty cool on a 24mm and for me a 100mm f2 would work well here too.:deadhorse:

David K

Workshop Member
I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. :
No doubt it's a stellar lens... but not sure there aren't equally good one's around. My Rollei glass held it's own head to head with the Leica lenses. I may have something that will compare favorably with the Leica 120 makro in a few weeks and we shall see...

fotografz

No doubt it's a stellar lens... but not sure there aren't equally good one's around. My Rollei glass held its own head to head with the Leica lenses. I may have something that will compare favorably with the Leica 120 makro in a few weeks and we shall see...
"Equally good" is a relative term don't you think David?

Lots of great Rollei glass, that is for sure :thumbup: (my buddy has a collection of them). Same for some of the Zeiss optics like the 110/2, 250/350SA. However, Personally I'm totally over using dumb adapters, manual stop-down and being confined manual focus :thumbdown:. Been there done that with Mamiya/Aptus/Zeiss, and HasselbladHD/Zeiss V.

I bought this camera primarily for AF and handling, with every confidence that the lenses would be stellar system wide. A system I specifically like because it is spontaneous and quick ... with pretty fast max apertures. BTW, Rollei makes an AF MFD Macro with a 2.5 max aperture? ;)

When the CS version arrives, I'm on the list to move to it ... which will make the S120 even more diverse and unique. All we need now are either coupled extension tubes or an APO Elpro.

-Marc

fotografz

I think the leica 120 is the best macro I have used..there is no possible way that marc's flower shot could have been made with another lens..tell if I am wrong here. I think this is the best sample I have seen using the macro capabilities combined with the wide aperture; incredible intense color balanced with the softness of focus falloff.. you nailed this one for sure.
I still would love to see an hts1.5 type solution for the camera..would be pretty cool on a 24mm and for me a 100mm f2 would work well here too.:deadhorse:
That shot was "nailed" hand-held using AF BTW.

Paul, another thing I took note of was that not only does this lens offer super high performance wide-open at a best in class aperture ... it appears to also do so stopped all the way down. In theory, the de-fraction limit should be around f/11 (maybe f/16?) for a sensor this size and pixel density (according to the Cambridge site calculator) ... but it is darned hard to detect at f/22. APO and Leica's version of micro contrast at work here?

(I'm not a tech expert by any means ... I just go with what I see in the images so I may be off base here).

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
Personally I'm totally over using dumb adapters, manual stop-down and being confined manual focus :thumbdown:. Been there done that with Mamiya/Aptus/Zeiss, and HasselbladHD/Zeiss V.

I bought this camera primarily for AF and handling, with every confidence that the lenses would be stellar system wide. A system I specifically like because it is spontaneous and quick ... with pretty fast max apertures. BTW, Rollei makes an AF MFD Macro with a 2.5 max aperture? ;)

-Marc
My preference would be to avoid the adapter route too but at $7k a lens and limited availability it's something I may have to live with for a while. Accurate AF is a very big plus for me as I still struggle with MF on some of my modeling shoots especially with low camera angles and low light/back light situations. Truth be told, a Hassy with WLF and TF might be a better solution for those situations but after shooting the S2 for a while I'm just not going back to that form factor. And no... there is nothing in the Rollei macro lineup with a 2.5 max aperture. But since I still have all my Rollei glass (and nothing to shoot it with) it can't hurt to experiment.