The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Coupe of Lily pics ... I have got to get out of the house!:ROTFL:

S2-P and P67 100 Macro

Red Lily Opening

Macro 1:1 Adapter Closer

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

They had the workshop door open at Grapevine Vintage Railroad and I got a chance to get a couple of shots....wish I had a tripod as the light was so low.

All with S2-P and S 70 lens

Steam Engine 2248

Dust Engine 2

Front Only Dust Engine 2

Bob

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Woody, thanks for the kind comments! I'll have to take a look around.

Bob, that Pentax macro suits you well. Can I ask how you are processing your color photos? I like what you are doing with them.

Kurt

docmoore

Can I ask how you are processing your color photos? I like what you are doing with them.

Kurt
I rarely need to do much if the original capture is correct...I tend to use - 0.5 exposure compensation unless I am correcting for backlight situations. I mainly attempt to fine tune WB and exposure then manipulate the levels and contrast between LowMid values and Higher values. Works great when I can pull it off.

What follows is a somewhat disjointed longer version of my PP.

Import DNG to ACR.

Almost all of my ACR is saved as a S2-P preset (sharpening, med contrast curve and clarity at set levels) with only additional white balance and exposure tweaking needed. Color is dead on correct from the camera. I boost saturation if appropriate. Nothing too dramatic...a slight boost...4-6 in saturation for more intimate subjects. I should point out that occasionally I decrease saturations for landscapes...either globally here or later with NIK SilverEFEX in a layer then decrease the opacity of the layer to let color bleed through. I am somewhat sensitive to overly bright or saturated greens in landscapes - probably why I prefer Fall and Winter for grand scenes. I love the ability to apply previous conversion for all of the captures that are in a similar setting or setup. Then fine tuning is very fast.

Export to CS5 at 16 bit ProPhoto RGB with a medium contrast curve in ACR.

Then adjust levels - usually just a slight darkening of mids...if the subject will tolerate a mild increase in contrast, ie no blowing highs or blocking lows I will add this prior to output....again saved as TIF ProPhoto RGB. Resize and converted to JPG sRGB for web.

Import to LR3

After my initial cruise with ACR I will import the DNGs to LR with their sidecars and finish rating them...I need to be fairly brutal concerning quality...as you have seen by my posts I tend to keep too much stuff. With these sizes of files, it adds up fast as you know.

The overall output from the camera is so good that the PP described above usually takes me less than a minute from initial input to final output of TIF and JPG per file.

The above works for maybe 90 percent of files...difficult exposures or settings are just variants of the above as I attempt to express what I hoped to visualized in the scene.

Sorry for the run-on hope it makes sense.

Bob

docmoore

Bob, that Pentax macro suits you well.
Kurt
Kurt,

I noticed you are moving away from the adapter route...saw the ad this morning.

I know that the S 120 will ultimately replace my P67 Macro...the color and contrast from the Leica S lenses is untouched by my adapted lenses. I am learning so much about the camera that while the adapted lenses buy me some time I am confident that they will be superseded by Leica S lenses. It does allow me some time to recover from the existential angst evoked by the initial buy-in to the system.

Bob

gogopix

Subscriber
Agree Dave . Honestly I can shoot almost anything with MF. I shoot Golf and other high action stuff as well. It all comes down to the decisive moment. Sure it is more work , more thinking and more hassle but as you get more experienced in any of these systems it becomes less a chore. The S2 given by design will make that easier as folks get that experience down a little quicker. I wish it was a 4:3rds format it would entice me more.
An interesting and valid perspective. Pros are always thinking and I am sure, Guy, you would be as careful with a P&S as MF for an important shoot, but we serious amateurs can slip into the "grab shot" mode too easily. I find MF forces one to be more aware and yes, maybe more careful and professional-like and the results show it

I am forever wondering why I didn't compose a Digilux 2 (my wife's camera, who shoots mostly manual mode!!!) shot better, or take more care or adjust the ISO etc.

I found I was even more careful when I got the alpa, and of course you get the advantage of some great non-retrofocus lenses.

In looking at the results here, and recognizing the MF kit is getting a bit much to handle, esp trekking, the S2 offers a lot over the Contax/P65+ weightwise and M9 IQwise. Your point that the S2 can make SOME of the MF technical effort easier (e.g. with a good AF) leaves more time to concentrate on timing, composition and the details that make a good image.

Sounds like the S2 improvements make it ready for another GuyandJack testing update. Are you guys considering that?

regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sure love to test one if Leica sent one along with all there lenses this time. Like to see the latest firmware updates as we did not get a chance to see the first go around.

Now on the S2 , Phase, Hassy any of these MF monsters care always must be given to give yourself the best shot at great images. In a word or two it comes down to work. People need to wrap there head around the fact that they have a special tool in there hands that takes special care and technique and it is a lot of work. But the upside is it makes you think and my belief is the more I think the better I am and I think that goes for many. The grab shot mode is fine and if you get lucky and happen to pull off a stunning image you did really well, problem is it does not always happen and that for the hobbyists it gets frustrating and they don't want to shoot MF any more. One reason i keep pounding the this is work and be prepared to do it or your just not going to enjoy it. Last thing we all want is to get frustrated and sell the darn thing off because your not prepared to work at getting good images. I love MF shooting but it is a challenge and it does take some smarts to get everything correct but when your in the processing tank and seeing your results, that effort pays off. These are all good systems capable of producing the best IQ of anything else in the world but to get that quality there is a price to pay as well. This is easy for Pros because we have no choice but to do it but for the hobbyist be prepared for working harder or just don't waste your money. Even the M9 takes care we all know that but it produces great 35mm images better than anything else out there in my opinion. MF is a different league and a different mindset.

gogopix

Subscriber
Sure love to test one ....... The grab shot mode is fine and if you get lucky and happen to pull off a stunning image you did really well, problem is it does not always happen and that for the hobbyists it gets frustrating and they don't want to shoot MF any more. One reason i keep pounding the this is work and be prepared to do it or your just not going to enjoy it. Last thing we all want is to get frustrated and sell the darn thing off because your not prepared to work at getting good images. ........ MF is a different league and a different mindset.
Yes, I remember the first shots with the Contax, film..a combination of frustration and exhilaration :eek:
.relearning DOF, exposure and later on, since I had the Kodak back, the square composition.

There are a lot of threads here (and elsewhere) of the "I'm thinking of switching to MF..." and the comment in bold is important...you have got to make time, and take the time to practice and evaluate.

The reason I'm making the comments in THIS thread is to pick up on the point you made that the S2 could be a help in making the 135 to MF transition...not as complex as backs and a lot of automated features. A review with this in mind could be quite valuable...I certainly wish I had and easier route to MF

regards
Victor

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for posting your workflow, Bob. I'll take a look at what you are doing. The great thing about the S2's files are that they are very pliable ... so one can really take them in a wide variety of directions. Regarding the Hasselblad lenses via adapter ... once you get the look you want to achieve with S2 lenses, you start to realize that you want to use only that type of glass as much as possible. To hold you over as you wait for the lenses or to fill gaps, however, it is helpful to be able to utilize an adapter. (Personally, after spending so many years with adapters going back to my Canon days, I finally want to be able to just use the lenses that are designed for the system.)

Guy, there is a lot of great information in your paragraph. I'd echo your comment that there is a definite learning curve in trying to master medium format shooting ... but the reward is very high as you can achieve a look that makes it difficult to want to go back to anything 35mm.

David K

Workshop Member
No question that getting good results with MF requires work. But if it's the kind of work you enjoy then it's not a chore and you can have fun doing it. One of the things I've learned over the years of shooting MF is that what I thought would be fun didn't always turn out that way. So I made my mistakes, paid the price, and moved on. I think this is one of the greatest challenges that newcomers to the MF arena face. They may not yet know what they will enjoy and what they won't. If I had to choose between a tech camera with tilt and shift, hit or miss focusing, correcting for color casts, steep learning curve software, etc. or a point and shoot... I know what I'd pick.

Paratom

I feel the S2 is really easy to shoot for a MF camera.
Why?
1) very accurate AF, very importantpoint
2) fast lenses fully usable wide open -> more flexibility if the light is low
3) very well damped mirror and shutter, handholding works better than I thought even at longer exp times
4) very fast and good feedback in the display
5)easy to BW

I really dont find it much "harder" to shoot than a normal DSLR, besides its bigger.
I put ISO on auto limited to ISO 640 and exp 1/250, custom WB at the beginning if possible (if not I use presets), shoot away and check exposure here and then. Eventually change the exp metering depending what I shoot (spot or multi most of the times)

docmoore

If I had to choose between a tech camera with tilt and shift, hit or miss focusing, correcting for color casts, steep learning curve software, etc. or a point and shoot... I know what I'd pick.
Initially I felt that I might be missing out by moving from the MFDB with tech camera to the S2. I thought that I would make the move and consider how to incorporate a cheaper used back with tech camera ... however the S2 has changed that for me. I may not have the best technical files but I do believe that they will work within my expectations and desires.

Today I took over 150 GB of files offline... I am comfortable enough with the S2 that all of my older archived files from multiple cameras have been moved to longterm storage. This is a landmark for me...to drop all of this is a significant moment. I would not have done this if I had ANY reservation about the camera, the software or the system's ability to capture light and color.

I have S2-P, D3s, and GH-2 for stills....probably could drop the D3s but I imagine there will be times where high ISO may be necessary. The GH-2 is for those long trips where I do not want to concentrate on the camera...but want one along for the ride.

Although I resisted this move...I am so thankful that I made the change. Thanks to you all who participated in this thread and others that encouraged me to make the transition.

Bob

GMB

I have been away for a week in Sicily. Lot’s of good stuff here in the meantime. Kurt, your Rugby shots are great. Bob, thanks for the kind comments on my tulip shot and I continue to enjoy your very elegant shots. To, nice Tulips as well. Guy, very true posts.

The Sicily trip gave me the opportunity so use the S2 as a travel camera, and I wanted to share the experience. .

Two important facts so start with. The main purpose of the trip was a family vacation, not a photographic adventure. While I am prepared to stretch the patience of my wife and 3 teenage daughters, and while I have trained them, there obviously are limits. Also, I was not getting up before dawn or missing the family dinner to get these gorgeous sunrise or sunset shots. Second, the weather was not what you would expect in Sicily in spring. We had several days with gray skies and pouring rain. Thus, there were opportunities to test the weather sealing.

I had all 4 lenses with me. However, I only took the camera and 3 lenses on any of my outings. Most of the time these were the 35, 70, and 120 (there were many wild flowers which made the macro quite attractive). One day I used a shoulder bag, but this was really to heavy, so I then switched to the Think Tank swing back, which worked great and allowed relatively fast switching of lenses.

Overall, I was very impressed by the versatility of the system. Typical holiday snapshots, landscapes, cityscapes, close up of fruit and vegetable stands, macro shots of flowers, pick of the family etc. The trip proved that you really can take the camera everywhere. I have not shot with a Hassi or Phase, but I doubt that I would have used these systems as much as I did use the S2. Sure, the system is heavy, but camera and 3 lenses are doable. Arguably, for many shots the S2 was an overkill. However, once you get used to the IQ and the view through the viewfinder, you don’t want anything else. (I also had the M9 and a few lenses with me and while the lighter weight was tempting, and while the camera would have been absolute up to what I was shooting, I did not use it because I wanted to use the trip to learn as much as possible about using the S2.)

I did not encounter any problems. Autofocus worked fine. Battery life is phenomenal.

I did use the tripod more often then I used it with the M9. While the camera can be shot handheld, I have to concentrate to avoid shake, in particular if you want to use slower shutter speeds. The most important accessory, however, was a monopod. It was easy to carry and added significant stability and flexibility (e.g.. shooting indoors in a church). I also found that it helped me concentrate on my compositions. I also had the flash with me but I never used it.

There are two main issues I continue to struggle with. First, the relatively small depth of field. As there is not depth of flied scale on the lenses, I need to copy it or learn it by hard to make better use of hyperfocal technique. I also need to relearn what would be the ideal aperture (I know this for the M9 and its lenses but not yet for the S2 and its lenses). Second, I like to recompose shots and sometimes “lost” the correct focus, in particular when shooting wide open.

What would be on my wish list? A working true focus as it apparently exists for the Hassi. A relatively fast and not too heavy zoom, the 24 mm wide angel, and a 1.4 or 1.7 converter for the 180. Of course, an assistant who carries the whole stuff would also come in handy.

To conclude, the trip proved that the purchase was the right choice. I am still on learning curve, but it’s a fun climb.

Georg

PS: Will post some shots soon.

Paratom

Georg-looking forward to your images. Did you also get the Sling-o-matic 20/30? I also really like that bag.Tom

I have been away for a week in Sicily. Lot’s of good stuff here in the meantime. Kurt, your Rugby shots are great. Bob, thanks for the kind comments on my tulip shot and I continue to enjoy your very elegant shots. To, nice Tulips as well. Guy, very true posts.

The Sicily trip gave me the opportunity so use the S2 as a travel camera, and I wanted to share the experience. .

Two important facts so start with. The main purpose of the trip was a family vacation, not a photographic adventure. While I am prepared to stretch the patience of my wife and 3 teenage daughters, and while I have trained them, there obviously are limits. Also, I was not getting up before dawn or missing the family dinner to get these gorgeous sunrise or sunset shots. Second, the weather was not what you would expect in Sicily in spring. We had several days with gray skies and pouring rain. Thus, there were opportunities to test the weather sealing.

I had all 4 lenses with me. However, I only took the camera and 3 lenses on any of my outings. Most of the time these were the 35, 70, and 120 (there were many wild flowers which made the macro quite attractive). One day I used a shoulder bag, but this was really to heavy, so I then switched to the Think Tank swing back, which worked great and allowed relatively fast switching of lenses.

Overall, I was very impressed by the versatility of the system. Typical holiday snapshots, landscapes, cityscapes, close up of fruit and vegetable stands, macro shots of flowers, pick of the family etc. The trip proved that you really can take the camera everywhere. I have not shot with a Hassi or Phase, but I doubt that I would have used these systems as much as I did use the S2. Sure, the system is heavy, but camera and 3 lenses are doable. Arguably, for many shots the S2 was an overkill. However, once you get used to the IQ and the view through the viewfinder, you don’t want anything else. (I also had the M9 and a few lenses with me and while the lighter weight was tempting, and while the camera would have been absolute up to what I was shooting, I did not use it because I wanted to use the trip to learn as much as possible about using the S2.)

I did not encounter any problems. Autofocus worked fine. Battery life is phenomenal.

I did use the tripod more often then I used it with the M9. While the camera can be shot handheld, I have to concentrate to avoid shake, in particular if you want to use slower shutter speeds. The most important accessory, however, was a monopod. It was easy to carry and added significant stability and flexibility (e.g.. shooting indoors in a church). I also found that it helped me concentrate on my compositions. I also had the flash with me but I never used it.

There are two main issues I continue to struggle with. First, the relatively small depth of field. As there is not depth of flied scale on the lenses, I need to copy it or learn it by hard to make better use of hyperfocal technique. I also need to relearn what would be the ideal aperture (I know this for the M9 and its lenses but not yet for the S2 and its lenses). Second, I like to recompose shots and sometimes “lost” the correct focus, in particular when shooting wide open.

What would be on my wish list? A working true focus as it apparently exists for the Hassi. A relatively fast and not too heavy zoom, the 24 mm wide angel, and a 1.4 or 1.7 converter for the 180. Of course, an assistant who carries the whole stuff would also come in handy.

To conclude, the trip proved that the purchase was the right choice. I am still on learning curve, but it’s a fun climb.

Georg

PS: Will post some shots soon.

docmoore

Georg,

Sounds like a wonderful trip in spite of the rain...although I rather like a day or two when I am traveling as I prefer cool weather or cold to hot and humid.

I look forward to your pictures also...nice to see how the camera performs in different roles.

You wish list is very much what I would want...I would probably skip the zoom as I found that with the HC 50-110 I loved the results but did not like carrying it. I think that the 24, 70 with the 120 macro would be my ideal travel set.

As regards to depth of field, I find that with the P67 100 Macro I have to use apertures much smaller (ie F22 F32) than those I normally would normally use (ie F8 F11) to avoid diffraction, but the results are still fairly good. This mandates the use of a tripod and mirror lockup. I believe that we may need to compromise perfect technique occasionally in order to get enough of a zone of adequate sharpness.

Again, cannot wait to see your posts.

Bob

GMB

Tom--Yes that's the bag I got.

Doc--As regards the zoom, as I said, I would like a relatively fast and not to heavy zoom. Not sure that's possible.

Anyway, here are some shots.

Mount Etna. I was hoping for a nice sunset but the clouds came in. 70 and tripod.

Same mountain, different day, 120 mm and tripod.

Also on mount Etna 70 mm handheld

A few from Taormina, which is a rather touristic place

The next two 35 mm and polarizer

Just to show how blue it can get

35 mm wide open

Another one with the 35 and wide open

A few shots with the 129 macro

GMB

A few more.

Not all buildings are in great shape (but still better than the roads).

Just a symbol on how much water came down.

On our first trip inland we were surprised how green the island was--later we found out why

One with the 180 (monopod)

And finally a 70 wide open

Last edited:

docmoore

Georg,

What a great combination of captures....I love the first with Mt. Etna and steam, the church in the rain, building with the cat in the doorway and the closeup of the rock, flowers and cactus with the 35.

It may be my own bias but the 35 seemed best in that picture...while the 70, 120 and 180 looked great in all of the captures.

Wonderful color...love the contrast in the 180 picture in the rain with the stone of the church and the red clothing of the two people, and the 70 picture of the tethered boat...ropes and blue and red.

I imagine if you enhance the foreground contast and lighting of the first Mt Etna it should make a fabulous print.

And you are right...if Leica can make a fast light zoom I am there right behind you....need to find a 120 and a 24 first however.:thumbs:

All in all it looks like you had a great family vacation with a number of great pictures as a bonus.

Bob