The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

David K

Workshop Member
Wonderful captures guys... please keep them coming. Missing my S2 and hoping Leica service will give me a quick turnaround.

Paratom

Georg, great set of images,
and very "refreshing" to see this mix from somewhat cloudy/overcast sky with Etna to the colorful flowers, from the "calm and quiet" images of the house to the street shots.
Isnt the S2 really a joy to use?
I now use it so often for things where one would say its overkill. And the scary thing is with the Af and the good viewfinder I can nail focus very good, better than with my K5 for example (even if the S2 AF is slower of course).
Great captures!
Tom

GMB

Thanks Tom and Bob. I appreciate your comments.

Here is one from a walk last Sunday. The calf must have been born just a few minutes before we arrived. S2 and 180.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
:bugeyes:I must calibrate my monitor. That grass is very .... green.:bugeyes:

One thing I've noticed in all the animal shots in this thread. Their fur looks so soft and inviting. I don't know what the quality is, but most pictures here have an almost tactile sense. Maybe palpable is a better word. The animal/chair/wooden duck/mountain feels like it is there. Not just 3D, but physically. Does anyone else feel that way about S2 shots? Is it the skill of the photographers? A Leica reality distortion field? Perfectly balanced optics/electronics/software? Amazing, whatever it is. :salute:

Best,

Matt

H

HCHeyerdahl

MGrayson;313408 One thing I've noticed in all the animal shots in this thread. Their fur looks so soft and inviting. I don't know what the quality is said:
I have noticed the same thing. Although this to my experience depends quite a bit on sharpening, the shots in this thread have a certain "real" quality.

Here is a link to an otherwise great shot of a polar fox, but which to my eye looks completly "dead" - more like a stuffed animal in a museum monter. I think this may be partly due to oversharpening the fur, but not sure.
http://www.foto.no/cgi-bin/bilder/vis_bilde.cgi?id=573117&brukerid=1247

Chris

H

HCHeyerdahl

since this turns into a Tulips thread ;) ...
the S2 really shows the colors I see...the full resolution shots show a lot of detail - more than I would see in reality with just my eyes.

Nice pictures!

I see you used ISO 640 for these images. I can not see any noise in the screen images. Did the images need much noise reduction in post, or are the original files as clean as this?

Chris

Paratom

Nice pictures!

I see you used ISO 640 for these images. I can not see any noise in the screen images. Did the images need much noise reduction in post, or are the original files as clean as this?

Chris
Chris,
I dont remember the exact settings, but didnt increase the NR in LR from standard.
I find noise not to be a problem up to ISO640.
ISO 1250 I find pretty unusable though and try to avoid.

H

HCHeyerdahl

Chris,
I dont remember the exact settings, but didnt increase the NR in LR from standard.
I find noise not to be a problem up to ISO640.
ISO 1250 I find pretty unusable though and try to avoid.
Thanks!

If you are using standard settings, I assume that means the sliders are at zero and that only the noise reduction inherent in the raw conversion is applied. That is better than I expected at ISO 640.

Do I understand you correctly, that at ISO 1250 the noise in the image dominates detail to the extent that the noise reduction controlls in Lightroom can not really give a good result?

Chris

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Beautiful colors, George. Nice set.

Lovely colors as well, Tom.

Bob, I like your understated style that is evident in all of the images that you've been posting.

GMB

Nice shots Kurt. I like the selective focus. It seems that you are still yearning for the Nocti look :)

I feel pity for you regarding the cold weather (if these shots are recent). Here we had an exceptionally warm and sunny April.

Georg

docmoore

We've had a cold, wet Spring this year ... but there is sense of season transition in the air.
Wonderful pictures with great pallette of colors...looks more autumn than spring.

I especially like #4 .... would wonder about going back with a canoe or dingy or hip waders if it is not too deep to eliminate the elements in the foreground as it is such a nice tree. However, it does evoke nearly an impressionist feeling with them there.

Looks like a lovely day out!

It is pushing 90 here so I would trade you in a moment for a few more weeks of cool weather before the summer arrives.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FYI i just put in a request to get the S2 again for a updated review. I asked for all lenses as well. Lets see what happens

David K

Workshop Member
Bob, I like your understated style that is evident in all of the images that you've been posting.
Well said Kurt... I've been thinking the same thing. I think it takes a lot of talent to capture everyday ordinary things and make them look special. With inherently beautiful things (landscapes, sunrises/sunsets and models come to mind) I think it's easier to get a "wow" image.

My kit is on it's way back from repair in Solms. A fair amount of time lost in shipping but once the gear got logged in the repairs were done in a matter of days. All in all... no complaints with Leica service.

docmoore

Kurt and David,

Thank you both for your kind comments.

David I did not catch the upgrade to the top LCD...did it stop working?

Although I have a couple of other cameras around here I would miss the S2 severely if it were to spend much time in Solms.

Bob