The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

JPlomley

I was afraid you were going to say that Kurt. That lens is one rare puppy. I'm on a waiting list, but I suspect it will be 6-12 months before I see one.

D&A

Kurt,

Gritty, intense wit a strong feel of emotion. An image one doesn't normally associate with a MFD and these are some of reasons I was immediately attracted to it. I like what you're doing with S2, and subsequent processing.

When I was loading the page and it popped up...the first thing before catching a close look at the actual particpants was that I thought I first saw what appeared to be a guy that appeared to be patting down a woman. My immediate split second thought was that you captured a TSA moment with the S2 at the airpoint...seriously! It first appeared the guy was some sort of "plain clothes" TSA agent. Only after my mind adjusted and I viewed the whole image to fully reveal the individuals and their enviorment, did I realize how wrong I was.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

fotografz

Okay ... 99ºF out yesterday didn't stop these two from duking it out at our family picnic ... to darned hot to do any serious shooting, so I just sat in the shade sipping lemonade, and popped off a few shots of these two with the S2P and 180.

ISO 640 to keep the shutter speed up a bit, and mostly f/4 to isolate them from the background.

They're both mixed breed rescues ... the Chihuahua mix is pretty feisty and bullies the Pit Bull mix all the time ... even though she never, ever wins, she gets her licks in.

What a hoot to watch them ... David and Goliath ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

Last edited:

fotografz

Wow! ISO 640 looks a lot better than I would have expected. Very promising for doing some hand-held street work.
Yes, 640 is quite useful in more decent light to extend the DOF or up the shutter speed. Very little noise or color shift penalty actually. Very similar to the M9 at 640.

I do wish the S2 had a broader ISO choice like the M9 does. Jumping from 160 to 320 to 640 to 1250 doesn't give you much ability to refine your ISO to conditions. I often use the M9 at 400 and 800 for example. I'd really like 800 on the S2 where you could get a tad more without as of a big jump in DR and noise issues @ 1250.

If I had the choice of 800, I would have used it for the dog shots above to either squeak out a bit more DOF, or more likely a smidgin more shutter speed for the action shots.

-Marc

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comment, Dave. You are right, after you mentioned it ... it could be a photo of a pat-down ... and what a pat-down it would be.

I'm probably off and running in my own direction with how I'm using the S2 and how I'm processing the files. But I'm feeling good about where I'm at. The great thing about the S2 is that the raw files are so pliable. That means that a person can do quite a few things to highlight all of the detail that the bigger sensor provides.

Kurt,

Gritty, intense wit a strong feel of emotion. An image one doesn't normally associate with a MFD and these are some of reasons I was immediately attracted to it. I like what you're doing with S2, and subsequent processing.

When I was loading the page and it popped up...the first thing before catching a close look at the actual particpants was that I thought I first saw what appeared to be a guy that appeared to be patting down a woman. My immediate split second thought was that you captured a TSA moment with the S2 at the airpoint...seriously! It first appeared the guy was some sort of "plain clothes" TSA agent. Only after my mind adjusted and I viewed the whole image to fully reveal the individuals and their enviorment, did I realize how wrong I was.

Dave (D&A)

J

JackM

Kurt, you will soon win longest thread.

Here are a few from the S:
I like to sell prints for "corporate art" in lobbies and conference rooms, so while these could all be taken with an iPhone, I need the resolution of MF to do the huge enlargements that are requested.
I prefer the S for it's strong build, so I don't have to baby it, and the battery rarely ever runs down. Controls are just what I need, nothing complicated. Oh, and the lenses will be an excellent investment for the next 20 years. I moved up from digital 35mm and had no legacy MF lenses* to worry about, so why not build a system that was designed to be digital from the ground up.
*well I had used Pentax 6x7 film in the past, and had I kept more than one lens, the S adapter for 6x7 would be an option.

The 4 panel shots are printed in individual panels and then are arranged as wished by the customer. As much as 16 feet long as 4 times 4 foot panels, or 8 feet by 6 feet in a quad. The 4 trees is a revisit of a series I shot with much less resolution four years ago. As they say, bigger prints sell for bigger money. Seeing them on the web is as if seeing them from 100 feet away.

The couple is not corporate, just friends this past weekend. I don't plan on it being printed huge. Yes, I do shoot the S as a casual P&S too, and that flexibility was a surprise. I never used the 6x7 that way.

Jack

macdonough.net

D

Dougg

The comments and photos here have been useful and interesting. After many years with the big Pentaxes, I got an S2 earlier this year. Here are a couple of recent shots with the S2 using the 45mm f/4 Pentax-67 lens.

gogopix

Subscriber
WOW!

A week without a post?

Ok, if one or two flowers are good, maybe amany bunches...:rolleyes:

This was a street vendor in Dublin...with a rented S2 and 70mm...

D&A

"This was a street vendor in Dublin...with a rented S2 and 70mm..."

For a minute, when I quickly read what you wrote, it sounded like you were saying the street vendor had a S2 and 70mm...LOL! (Depends how one reads the sentence).

One things clear though....colors really pop and I'm sure the full rez files looks stunning!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

fotografz

WOW!

A week without a post?

Ok, if one or two flowers are good, maybe amany bunches...:rolleyes:

This was a street vendor in Dublin...with a rented S2 and 70mm...
Not many posts on the S2 anywhere ... if like me, maybe S2 users are actually using the gear as opposed to talking about using it? :ROTFL:

I'm very busy with weddings, and the S2 is taking the lead over my other gear choices (700 keepers in the past two weeks). Trouble is, as I bring the S2 on-line as the lead horse, I hate using anything else (except maybe the M9) ... even the Sony A900 is getting less and less use.

The S2 files are just gorgeous, and super easy to work on. I'll post pics as soon as the mid-summer wedding deluge is under control.

-Marc

GMB

I'm very busy with weddings, and the S2 is taking the lead over my other gear choices (700 keepers in the past two weeks). Trouble is, as I bring the S2 on-line as the lead horse, I hate using anything else (except maybe the M9) ... even the Sony A900 is getting less and less use.

The S2 files are just gorgeous, and super easy to work on. I'll post pics as soon as the mid-summer wedding deluge is under control.

-Marc
Glad your wedding business has picked up again.

gogopix

Subscriber
Not many posts on the S2 anywhere ... if like me, maybe S2 users are actually using the gear as opposed to talking about using it? :ROTFL:

-Marc
I understand...a lot of discussions here remind me of the story of the guy, sitting on the edge of the bed, explaining how great it was going to be....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Anyway, you may be right about S2 shooters out there SHOOTING...while we, awaiting the arrival Iq180, can only sit at the edge of the bed....

D

Dougg

Been doing some shooting with the S2... both of these with the 100mm f/4 Macro.