The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

ddanois

Church of the Good Shepherd S2+30mm

WOW!!!

As an S2 owner, I enjoy every lens in the lineup and have had my eye on the new 30mm. After a fairly sane conversation with myself regarding the outstanding performance of the 35mm, I concluded that the 30 was unnecessary.

Well...you've really insulted my line of thinking with this fantastic image!

Thanks for sharing and I agree...it's magical.

Derek

J

java240

Hi,
I'm new here, some shot from omo valley - Hamer and Karo tribe (last one)

Paratom

Hi Jan,
I esspecially like the first and the second one. (The eyes are so strong that I can live with the fly- which I find in a way slightly disturbing)
Really special your images.
#3 and #4 I also like a lot, but for my taste I find the shaddows a tad too dark. But I assume it was very harsh light too.

Last edited:

fotografz

Hi,
I'm new here, some shot from omo valley - Hamer and Karo tribe (last one)

Please tell us the story behind these images.

If you have an extra minute, tell us about your experience with the S2 (although it's your eye that's producing the photos, it's nice to know some of the specifics ... which lens, etc.? The S-70mm?).

Thanks,

-Marc

V

Vivek

If you have an extra minute, tell us about your experience with the S2 (although it's your eye that's producing the photos, it's nice to know some of the specifics ... which lens, etc.? The S-70mm?).

Thanks,

-Marc

+1

I would also like to hear a bit more please.

While it is not difficult get this much detail in bright contrasty light with many systems, I would like to ask you if you had a back up system and how they compare with the S.

GMB

Thanks,

-Marc
Weclome to this forum and thanks for sharing your shots with us.

Very strong photos. I would also like to know a bit more.

Georg

J

java240

Thank you all for the comments

I have S2 approximately half a year. I bought it from CEH. I also have 35mm 70mm and 120mm to it. I have brought quite a lot of material from Ethiopia. I'll add another photos soon but I have to edit them first.

I do mostly portraits of people and before Leica S2 I had A900 where I used Zeiss 24-70mm 2,8 + Zeiss 135mm 1,8, Zeiss 16-35mm 2,8. I've recently sold system A900. I know comparing these two systems is not fair but I've been photographing with A900 for 2 years.

I shoot 98% of pictures with almost opened aperture. All lenses 35mm, 70mm and 120mm are excelent at this, detail 1:1 is incredible. I'll be printing a lot of photographs at big format and I'm looking forward to it. That was the main reason I bought Leica S2.

Everything was shot in a natural light in Ethiopia, most of the time in shadow. Balancing white in shadow – expressing the skin colour is amazing. S A900 had sometimes big problem with it.

In A900 I wasn't satisfied with the result on sharp sunlight(morning and evening), there was always something disturbing with colours. Leica S2 is handling it perfectly. Colours are flawless and DR is superb.

I was really pleasantly surprised with ISO 640, I'll add some photos later.

Photographing with S2 requires a whole different approach – autofocus in the centre- tripod in ethiopia is used in 50%

I'm highly satisfied with the system after my trip to Ethiopia.

The first four photos are 120 mm
There is Exif in all the pictures.

LWH

35mm ISO 640 - Hamer woman in DIMEKA pub

70mm Karo tribe
:bugeyes:

I don't usually comment on individual photo's (there are so many great ones on these forums), but I'm blown away by the power of those two pictures, especially the second one.

The look of the subjects themselves, along with the creative & technical accomplishment shown in the way the pictures have been made...words fail me.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thanks for sharing, java240! I am simply in awe with the content and the quality.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Jan,

These six photographic portraits are wonderful...especially in view of the conditions in the Omo Valley. The southern Ethiopia/Sudan area is not very conducive to travel and without a doubt stress any photographic system. All three lenses body and tripod is a major system to trek through this area.

Was this primarily a photographic trip or were you working with a NGO in this area? Was dust a major issue? Recharging batteries at night? My S2-P batteries are phenomenal but most of this area has just terrible electrical service...Did you carry a laptop or specialized backup storage system?

However you accomplished it, you have shown us pictures that standout as exemplary of the craft...

What strikes me most is the obvious rapport you established with each of your subjects...their vulnerability and pathos is so evident. The "Hamer woman in the DIMEKA pub" is stunning - shadows to highlights what a wonderful tonal range and beautiful expressions. And with the 35 ... what a capture...probably will be my next lens.

Bob