The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

D&A

I keep coming back to these images since they were posted. They are quite powerful in their presentation. I can't help but wonder about some of stories behind the individuals depicted, about your travels and the technical aspects of shooting in such an enviorment as Bob has pointed out. Wonderful images!

Dave (D&A)

J

java240

thank you all for your supportive comments

I've travelled to many countries (Mongolia, India, Nepal, Tibet, Venezuela, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia...) Ethiopia was surely the best trip I've ever been to. I have to say that by taking pictures you can get closer to local people than if you're just an ordinary traveller. I really like it. Travelling and photographing is my hobby so this was just my private trip.

I've been considering visiting Ethiopia for at least 4 years. I've seen a lot of beautiful pictures.

I've gathered some information about the trip at first but I didn't think the travelling would be that safe and comfortable. The south of Ethiopia is safe, that is surely not true about Sudan, I definitely wouldn't go there.

We had arranged a car 4 x 4, a driver and a guide, booked accomodation in Turmi, Jinka and Konso from where we drove to particular villages by car. When I was booking the trip I asked Ethiopian travel agency for an experienced guide and possibility of flexible programme because of shooting pictures of the local people. I was very pleased with accomodation – warm water, electricity. I had 2 S2 batteries with me, the battery life is excellent.

These days there is dry season in Ethiopia so there's a little problem with the dust but it's bearable. In the rainy season some areas are closed and there are plenty of mosquitos.

About the backup storage system and laptop – I didn't have anything - only 4 x 32GB CF sandisk. I'll have to buy a macbook, it surely will be useful.

Thank you again everyone

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
After scouting a nearby small lake I was able to find a bit of time this morning to explore it with my S2-P. Lenses include 70S, P67 55 and P67 100Macro.

Initially very early morning prior to sunrise...about 38F.

Early Morning Lake
S2-P 70S

Early Morning Lake Through the Trees
S2-P 70S

Wide View Sun Up Early Morning Lake
S2-P P67 55

Bob

docmoore

Here are a few vertical format from later in the morning...

Early Morning Lake Around the Bend
S2-P 70S

Early Morning Lake Leaning Tree on Bank
S2-P P67 100 Macro

Early Morning Lake Preening Mallard
S2-P P67 100 Macro

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

Hi Marc,

Thank you...I am trying to find the appropriate paper for these...Hot Press Bright does not capture the subtle details and tones on my 4900 so I am going to give Prem Luster a shot. I love Ilford Galerie Pearl but would love to find a good cotton that allowed all of the Leica S2-P fine details to show up.

This was with the 70S at F4.0 1/25 sec ISO 320.

Had a very big rain a couple of days prior ... 5 inches in 12 hours. In Texas that usually muddies the water for a number of days....hence the color of the lake.

Bob

LWH

Heya Bob, I like your pictures, the early morning ones with fog more so than the others as they seem more atmospheric to me.

I find your white framing and initialling of the pictures interesting too. Pardon my ignorance, but are we looking at photo's of actual physical prints here? If not, congratulations on presenting the pictures in such a way that shows how nice the S2 images must look when actually printed out.

Les.

docmoore

are we looking at photo's of actual physical prints here?
Hi Les,

No this is an very close approximation of how I print the file...in fact
almost dead on...

Difference being at times the ratio of the rebate to the picture depending
upon the paper dimensions. It does limit the size one can view but I do hope it does not appear too affected.

I also liked the earlier ones...still working on those subtle gradations that show in the early morning with the fog and mist.

Thanks,

Bob

PeterA

Very interesting shots Bob - I love simple clean shots like these that let the subject do the talking!

Pete

docmoore

Very interesting shots Bob - I love simple clean shots like these that let the subject do the talking!

Pete
Thanks Pete,

Texas in this area makes one work for landscapes...it has a beauty that is at times other-worldly. Rugged, simple but hauntingly beautiful at times...other than Big Bend we have to look for the small landscape that works.

This area is within 10 minutes of my home and I happened upon it just this past week...I hope to image it throughout the seasons as it is represents a small ecosphere of nature in a most unexpected area.

Seems like the S2 allows one to interpret a scene from simple clean capture to very stark interpretations of vision...one of the reasons I am so enamored with the system.

Bob

fotografz

Bob, these are getting almost Zen like. I could see these in a book with a Zen Koan printed centered and small on the opposite page.

I do like the more muted ones like the Lake & Fog shot. They feel more quiet and contemplative. There are so many "loud" landscape shots done, it's actually a relief to come across work like this :)

I'd love to see a soft snow fall done by you in a similar quiet manner.

Thanks for posting them,

-Marc

docmoore

Marc,

My discovery of this lake was a gift ... such an unexpected place that I did not know existed in the middle of my daily routine. It did evoke such a sense of stillness and awe that I was stunned to find myself there. I usually assume that the majority of the great landscapes are found in travel ... not my day to day routine.

When I started pulling up the files I could not keep from laughing ... what I had experienced was indeed in the files. And not just one or two but 50 or so. I have not had such a full list of stuff to explore for a long time. Only a couple evoke the quiet contemplative mood of the Lake and Fog picture - such an evanescent time...twenty minutes at most. I need to explore a bit outside the perimeter of the lake for more possibilities.

Your comment about snow scenes is quite prescient...I have been hoping for a good freeze or snowfall to change the tone around the lake...cannot wait to explore that reality. Probably a light snow that left enough detail to capture the finer elements of the trees and brush.

I tend to prefer very early spring, fall and winter landscapes as they are much quieter and the natural fractal structure of the trees is more evident. When I am out in summer I tend to desaturate a lot of stuff as it is too loud. May be that I have a problem with bright greens....dark greens are ok.:ROTFL:

The fog-scapes file wise are so flat - without LR4 (3), C1 or Phocus these would be tough to pull out all of the detail and luminous nature of the quiet light. The S2 files keep it and are robust enough to withstand the manipulation necessary to tease out the fine stuff.

Thank you all for the very gracious comments...I just had to share these as they were such a gift to me.

Bob

docmoore

A couple more with the same lens....

Trees and Heron at Lake's Edge

Trees at the Lake's Edge

Thanks,

Bob

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Bob,

My compliments also on the photos. As a midwesterner, I think some of the best photos that I've seen are from photographers who have taken the time to try to 'see' during the winter months. There is a subtlety to the colors of death and rebirth in the landscape that are difficult to find any other time of the year. The soft pastel light and intricate layers of those months are beautiful. Thanks for posting these.

Kurt