The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

I posted this elsewhere, but thought to add to the S2 image bank on my favorite forum of them all ... thanks to Guy and Jack! :)

Okay, so I'm shooting a wedding which has a few planned location shots split into two times during the day... location: Michigan Student Union, downtown Ann Arbor, MI.

First are some afternoon Bridal fashion type shots on the Art Museum's steps across the street ... when we get there the sun is blasting the background with dappled light hot spots and the steps are in deep shade. I'm using the S2 and 70mm mounted to a Kirk Grip, Profoto AIR radio on grip handle connected with a PC cord to trigger a 600B AIRs strobe. 27" Profoto gold tint Octa mounted on a mobile boom arm. SF58 in the hot-shoe with a Graslon Prodigy diffuser.

I manually under-expose for the background, and hit the foreground subject with the strobe camera left. Camera is in portrait orientation so I rotate the S2 to the right to place the fill more to the right side of the image. Hard to tell that powerful strobe light was used on these ... I was delighted with the natural looking way the S2 renders subtile light. It was more than I expected given what it looked like to the eye.

This is a perfect example as to why I want the leaf shutter S lenses that shoot to 1/1000 sync ... I would have much preferred to shoot this moving subject at a higher shutter speed than 1/90 or 1/125.

The second mini session after dinner is running late and I'm going to be running out of light by the time we get to a few planned shots. Anticipating this is the reason I brought along the Profoto 600B AIR in the first place.

The original 2nd location (U of M Law Quad in Ann Arbor, MI) is inexplicably locked up and we can't get access ... sun is just about gone now ... we bustle down the street to a giant modern sculpture (by Calder I think), and do the key shot for the day ... by then in the dark : -(

So dark, the S2 with 70mm is struggling to focus ... we turn on the wimpy 50 watt modeling light and wham! the S2 nails focus immediately over and over. I had to shoot these at 1/30 shutter to pick-up the dim ambient, so I used a monopod with a RRS flip head ... only a few exposures showed any slight motion @ 100% ... the S2 loves the Mono-pod!

Client is the daughter of a lighting tech I know. I delivered the prints yesterday and they were stunned by the quality of the large display images (the crushed little jpegs here simply do not do them justice). I mean they were jaw dropping, speechlessly STUNNED and delighted. Good thing too, he has two other unmarried beautiful daughters ... ;)

All in a day's work.

-Marc

pophoto

Beautiful shots Marc.

Although I have to admit I felt some motion sickness with the two images side by side of the bride.

Seriously though, I love the lighting, you made it look very natural, which I feel is how all lighting shots should look. Especially in the second shot, no one would have guessed the lighting conditions you were in!

fotografz

Beautiful shots Marc.

Although I have to admit I felt some motion sickness with the two images side by side of the bride.

Seriously though, I love the lighting, you made it look very natural, which I feel is how all lighting shots should look. Especially in the second shot, no one would have guessed the lighting conditions you were in!
Thanks.

LOL! Yeah, I see what you mean. Fortunately, those 2 shots will never appear together except here ... I only printed the first version for the bride as well a few after she reached top and turned for the usual bridal shot.

-Marc

RVB

The Skinny bridge at night?

The jpegs do not look all that spectacular. Perhaps you could find an optimal setting for the postings?
I agree,it was the first time i ever posted here.. I down sampled the original tiff to 20% and then saved a jpeg at near highest quality..(11).

RVB

There's no doubt about it, beautiful shots!
Thanks,My main objective when I took these shots was to familiarise myself with the camera and start customising the buttons so i can get comfortable with it,I am used to canon d series' body's and can use them fluidly ,I haven't really had much time to use the S2 (health issue's at the moment) but so far I love it,and the glass is superb.. :)

RVB

Three great shots,the third one is the star(At least to my eye's...),beautiful light and setting

Gary Clennan

Here are a few more recent shots. Thanks for looking.

Don't want to bore anyone here with too many S2 posts. Lots more on my tumblr feed:
I'm a little late to the party but these are very good Kurt. How long have you been in the phils? I just moved back home to Canada after living in Manila for 1 1/2yrs. It was challenging to say the least but it was an incredible experience - especially for my kids. I enjoy your photo's - stay safe!

Double Negative

Not Available
One More night shot from the Dam..
You might just have been standing on the roof of the houseboat I had for a spell a couple of years back. Lovely shot of the bridge! The Opera Huis on the other side's not too shabby either. :)

Very lovely picture!

gogopix

Subscriber
The S2 is not known for high ISO, and I had in the Vatican Museum and St Peters.
Here are some interesting hand helds. Even though you are not going to get catalog-like shots, the lighting was interesting to me, esp the 'glow' in the map room and the dust-mote sunlight in the basilica.

I didnt risk 2500, so these are ISO 1250
1/60
f2.5 in St P and 5.6 in Museum

regards
Victor

PS: and something different. The rep for GEICO in Italy (100%):rolleyes:
looks like they DO smile (or smirk, look closely)

Last edited:

Paratom

The S2 is not known for high ISO, and I had in the Vatican Museum and St Peters.
Here are some interesting hand helds. Even though you are not going to get catalog-like shots, the lighting was interesting to me, esp the 'glow' in the map room and the dust-mote sunlight in the basilica.

1/60

regards
Victor

2500 on the S2? Did I miss something?

gogopix

Subscriber
No, Leica did. :D

These were likely 2500 equivalent anyway. In the old days (you remember, when ISO was called ASA and went from 16 to 64!:ROTFL: ) we used something called "pushing development" Exposed a stop or two faster, or stopped down, then in development increased the time in developer. Was quite a science.

Here, it is pretty simple: I used spot metering, and needed to "push" in C1 by increasing exposure. Sort of similar. Anyway, the files are not as 'noisy' as I thought they would be. Served my purpose, and a shot I would have mssed with 320.

But, say, tell me I am not TOTALY bonkers: the M9 has 2500, yes?

regards
Victor

Paratom

No, Leica did. :D

These were likely 2500 equivalent anyway. In the old days (you remember, when ISO was called ASA and went from 16 to 64!:ROTFL: ) we used something called "pushing development" Exposed a stop or two faster, or stopped down, then in development increased the time in developer. Was quite a science.

Here, it is pretty simple: I used spot metering, and needed to "push" in C1 by increasing exposure. Sort of similar. Anyway, the files are not as 'noisy' as I thought they would be. Served my purpose, and a shot I would have mssed with 320.

But, say, tell me I am not TOTALY bonkers: the M9 has 2500, yes?

regards
Victor
yes, M9 has 2500.

RVB

You might just have been standing on the roof of the houseboat I had for a spell a couple of years back. Lovely shot of the bridge! The Opera Huis on the other side's not too shabby either. :)

Very lovely picture!
Thanks,here is another one that should bring back a memory or two....Elmarit 30mm... :)

RVB

1/60

regards
Victor

Impressive,especially considering the iso,which raw converter did you use?