The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

Some new stuff I caught when on vacation in South Haven Michigan last week ... they had a nice gathering of Pierce Arrow Motor Cars ... and before they went off touring, I was able to get off a few shots with the S2, 35mm and 70mm.

It was a bit brutal lighting, but a polarizer helped on a few if them.

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Marc,

The last two are my favorites...lovely group overall and I am sure you were pleased to have such a stable of cars to photograph!

Assume these last were with the 70S?

Bob

fotografz

Marc,

The last two are my favorites...lovely group overall and I am sure you were pleased to have such a stable of cars to photograph!

Assume these last were with the 70S?

Bob
Thanks Bob. The cars were a lucky find ... yes the last two were the 70mm. I did some other detail shots for myself, but they don't seem to sell as well as full car shots.

Actually, the thing I really wanted to shoot was the finish of the Queen's Cup sailing race from Milwaukee across Lake Michigan to the harbor in South Haven ... got up at 5:30AM to get nice light as the sun came up ...

Here are few with the 180mm:

-Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
Impressive,especially considering the iso,which raw converter did you use?
I use C1 v6 for anything and have for years. I have a generic profile from david Farkas at Dale that works quite well.

Marc is the real S2 expert here, and I believe he uses C1 as well.

LR abd ACR did really nasty things and the detail was surprising less. I should show a 100% crop. They were quite good.

regards
Victor

RVB

I use C1 v6 for anything and have for years. I have a generic profile from david Farkas at Dale that works quite well.

Marc is the real S2 expert here, and I believe he uses C1 as well.

LR abd ACR did really nasty things and the detail was surprising less. I should show a 100% crop. They were quite good.

regards
Victor
Thanks Victor,thats good intel and intel like this the reason I come to this forum so often,I can Learn a lot around here..:)

Best

Robert

Paratom

Gorgeous, Tom.
Thanks Lloyd
I was shooting with smaller cameras for some weeks - when i browsed the MF-thread I realized its time to bring out the S2 again more often.
And each time when I take the S2 I am amazed by the IQ. The files just come out of the camera without much/any needs for post processing.
The S2 works very well for me.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd
I was shooting with smaller cameras for some weeks - when i browsed the MF-thread I realized its time to bring out the S2 again more often.
And each time when I take the S2 I am amazed by the IQ. The files just come out of the camera without much/any needs for post processing.
The S2 works very well for me.
When I was in Iceland last month I was finally able to see some large prints of S2 shots, and the level of detail was simply astounding. I'd love to have one, but I don't think it's in my future. I'll just have to enjoy your work vicariously.:)

Paratom

When I was in Iceland last month I was finally able to see some large prints of S2 shots, and the level of detail was simply astounding. I'd love to have one, but I don't think it's in my future. I'll just have to enjoy your work vicariously.:)
Ha, I would rather not have a S2 but go to Iceland ;)

gogopix

Subscriber
a few more from Rome last month:

"what was he thinking?"

"That's cheap for a PRADA!"

"baby not interested in Castles"

could be the captions :D

All S2 70mm, C1 processing...the S2 AF 'sort of " got the focus right.

Many Thanks to Marc on his suggestion on how to prep for using AF on the S2

regards
Victor

baudolino

Here are a few images from last week - tracking mountain gorillas in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda (S2 + Apo Summarit 120mm)

gogopix

Subscriber
Martin

Great Shots! Ausgezeichnet! Bajec^ny'

Manual focus of course. But they are sharp and the light was low in the trees, no?

was this 320 or 640 ISO?

Handheld?

Whatever, good work and wonderful positions...

regards
Victor

J

JackM

Kurt,
I know you are visiting this, give me a call.
Jack

This shot is cropped to a panorama, rather than a merge.

baudolino

Hi Victor, thanks for your words of praise. Indeed, the light was low in the forest and I had to use manual focusing all the time. All shots were handheld. ISO was 320 for the sunlit images and 640 for the darker ones. I took pictures in even dimmer light in the Kibale forest - such as these below. The S2 is perhaps not the ideal tool for this kind of conditions but I think the images turned out all right after all - that's the challenge of using whatever camera one has with him.

gogopix

Subscriber
bbbbbbb
a few more from Rome last month:

"what was he thinking?"

"That's cheap for a PRADA!"

"baby not interested in Castles"

could be the captions :D

All S2 70mm, C1 processing...the S2 AF 'sort of " got the focus right.

Many Thanks to Marc on his suggestion on how to prep for using AF on the S2

regards
Victor
Dear Georg

thanks for the comment. On the observation, I must check as it is fine on my laptop.

They print just fine; as an example there is no "255,255,255" on the girl's blowse
These wer all Prophoto processed in C1 and rendered as jpgs for this. I then did a size change in PS5, then rescrunched the jpg (7) so there could e highlight compression.

I am an 'expose to the right" believer for MF the fix with the histogram in C1 with autoexposure I dont think there was any need here, as the S2 just did the AE.

Anybody else seeing these overexposed? I generally do all the work in Tiff 16 bit and print on the 7900 Epson or on Kodak 8600 (you remember that; ALMOST a real photo...dye sub LOL)

If anything they look a little dark on my HP HD 2560x1900 screens

But hey, who knows what jpg 7 will do after a size reduction.

Thanks for the comments though, I'll check the raw histogram

regards
Victor
I wonder; see the histo for the jpg.
good eye, but wonder why this compression at the ends? likely the 14 vs 8 bit and lots of highlights and shadows
need to adjust for the web I guess,

gogopix

Subscriber
Hi Victor,

Nice shots but they all look overexposed and a bit washed out (both on my home and office screen). Is that deliberate?

Georg
ok now I quoted the right one! :rolleyes:

Anyway here is the raw file histo. guess you need to be be careful when you crop for the web.

On tiffs I usually crop then play to expose what is interesting; I like a light touch on the "highlight-shadows" as you can get posterizing which is a far greater problem in my view than a little overexposure or some missed (and uninteresting) shadows.

Best
Victor

GMB

Victor, On your screen shot, the photo looks fine and very different from the photo posted above. So I assume it must have to do with the export function. BTW, I see the same differences on my office computer, my Apple labtop, and my iPad.

Georg

RVB

bbbbbbb

Anybody else seeing these overexposed?
regards
Victor
I wonder; see the histo for the jpg.
good eye, but wonder why this compression at the ends? likely the 14 vs 8 bit and lots of highlights and shadows
need to adjust for the web I guess,
They look well exposed to me,no clipping ,at least to my eyes...