The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

peterv

Hi everyone,

I thought this weekend might be a good time to resurrect this wonderful thread to page one.

Ever since the first announcement of the S2 I've been looking at photos and reading as much as I could about the S system. Last week, I got a really good offer from a reputed dealer and now I'm the proud owner of an S2-P with the 70 CS. After one week of trying and test shooting I can safely say the IQ this camera produces, exceeds my expectations. After all the research I did, I still had not fully understood how good the files from this camera really are. Color, contrast and sharpness are incredible with very little effort in LR/ACR. I'm really looking forward to what this new step into the S-world will bring.

This thread has been an invaluable source of information to me during the past years. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Kurt, Marc and everyone else for their insight and shared photos. Here's my small contribution, just a test shot at the local flower shop, Happy Easter!

baudolino

Time to bump this thread up again.

River Una, south of Bihac, Bosnia i Hercegovina (while rafting with the kids there, last August). Stitch of two photos taken with the S-35 lens.

GMB

Time for some shots with the super versatile 30-90 on the S2:

White and yellow car (@30mm)

Jerry's (@51mm)

Surf Style (@90mm}

Coca Cola (@52mm)

Colony Hotel /@30mm)

Sunset (@31mm)

Pelican (@87mm)

Alligator (@87mm)

Relax (@34mm)

GMB

Beautiful colors Georg! It's too bad that the zoom is soooo expensive.
Thanks, Kurt.

It's true, it's expensive and heavy. You get used to the latter and forget the former. I was also lucky that I obtained a "demo" version (not sure why Leica marked it demo because it looked like new in the box), and that helped a bit with the price.

As I shoot a lot when traveling, and as I normally travel with my family, not having to change lenses too often helps to keep everyone happy. It also means that you get more shots and can make better use of the sensor real estate. The latter was a bit of a challenge this time because on day one I discovered a sensor crack, appearing on the top right corner. Fortunately, there is a lot of blue sky in Florida which made cloning it out easy. (Leica meanwhile changed the sensor without charge, although the warranty had expired.)

GMB

Great images Georg and wow, that 30-90 really is sharp and also has a nice background blur. Maybe one day I will become weak.
Tom
Thanks, Tom. But forget the "may be". You know that you will become weak but don't yet have to guts to admit it. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

baudolino

Wonderful colours, Georg, and really nice photos - I like the one with the Colony Hotel the best, for the evening atmosphere. Regards, Martin

msadat

when did u get this lens, it seems production has stopped and nothing is coming to usa
Time for some shots with the super versatile 30-90 on the S2:

White and yellow car (@30mm)

Jerry's (@51mm)

Surf Style (@90mm}

Coca Cola (@52mm)

Colony Hotel /@30mm)

Sunset (@31mm)

Pelican (@87mm)

Alligator (@87mm)

Relax (@34mm)

ddanois

I'm not sure how true it is but the last time I inquired about the 30-90 (before receiving and selling it to Joe) I was told that Leica US was receiving about 1 piece per month.

It's worth checking with some of the Leica stores directly to see what the expected time frame might be as of today.

Paratom

Thanks, Tom. But forget the "may be". You know that you will become weak but don't yet have to guts to admit it. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
;) try to resist try to resist. and it is so expensive, and so heavy anyways, and so good and flexible ;( try to resist

GMB

;) try to resist try to resist. and it is so expensive, and so heavy anyways, and so good and flexible ;( try to resist
Just to make resisting a bit more difficult: There was a Leica representative responsible for the S System at my dealer yesterday. We talked about the zoom and I told him that I was very happy with it. He then showed me prints of test pics done by a German pro (sorry--forgot the name) with 30+ years of experience. He shot a Porsche 911 in his studio with studio lightning comparing the zoom a 30, 35, 70 and 90 mm with the 30, 35, 70 and 120 primes. Tripod, mirror lock--the whole thing. The full frame shots showed the entire back of the car even with some space to the left and right. He than had prints (aprox 35x55 cm) showing just half of the number plate and a bit around it (I assume 100% crops or pretty close). The only difference you could see was that the zoom had slightly more micro contrast. In other words: If there is a discernible IQ difference, the zoom may actually have the edge.

This means that, from an IQ / picture taking point of view, the only / main reason to shoot with the primes is that they are faster. This is IF you want to the very narrow depth of field they offer. For many occasions, I actually want more depth of field than I get from my 35 and 70 wide open.

Of course, there are other reasons why the primes may be preferable (CS, less weight etc.)

The other comment that he made was that the 350 mm project is apparently dead. He said Leica had done a calculation for the lens, and it would have cost about 10k EUR and the weight would have been about 4kg. So it seems that for long glass, the Hassy lenses plus adapter is the way to go--at least for the foreseeable future.