The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

rsmphoto

I'll echo Marc's opinion here too, also brief. I use an S2 to shoot interior and exterior arch. professionally after having used various H digital backs and cameras for some years. I still use the HTS, some H lenses and some S lenses. The S2 is a pure pleasure to work with in all aspects including tethered (never a hiccup unlike the H). Build like a rock, weather proof. Reliable as the day is long. Love it.

Richard

Stuart Richardson

I agree with David -- both looked fine to me on Chrome on a Mac (Eizo and Retina), but this version has a lot more shadow detail.

The S2's flexibility impresses me sometimes...I went on a quick vacation to the East of the country a few days ago, and I had a very long drive back home...about ten hours. It is a beautiful drive, however, and ten hours driving in Iceland is nothing like ten hours driving in the states. There is hardly any traffic, and you are driving through stunning scenery the whole way. I actually took these photos one handed out the window, balanced on my opposite shoulder, while driving at 100kph. Not particularly safe I guess! That said, there where no cars coming, and I was looking at the road. Still, my photo ninja skills must be developing, as I didn't even really have to rotate these...they came out rather well...sharp to 100% too. They were taken somewhere in North central Iceland, on a particularly stormy summer day.

RVB

I know this Cmosis-scenario is kind of like the S-forums general consensus on the roadmap of a future S sensor, but I really do wonder if Leica will go that route, the S being the flagship camera and all. Question is, does this little factory in Antwerp build better sensors than the likes of Truesense, Dalsa, Toshiba and last but not least Sony? We always hear they are able to make relatively small amounts, which was needed for the M and that certainly will be the case for the S. But do they make the 'best' sensor?

One more reason why I don't think this upscaled M Cmosis sensor is likely to happen is that this would yield ~ 37 MP. Though there are some that would be fine with so much resolution, I guess the market will be expecting more progress if Leica introduces a new S sensor at say, Photokina 2014, six years after the announcement of the S2. Which brings up another question: Should they go for better high ISO, higher resolution, or a compromise?

I know, it's all speculation, but I do think it's of paramount importance for the future of the S-line that Leica choose a next generation sensor very carefully, not based on what's available at Cmosis, or what they are familiar with. And also that S users think about their preferred future options and make their thoughts and expectations known to Leica.
I think cmosis already have a sensor with higher pixel density than the current M sensor,the 3.1micron CHR70M..CHR70M CMOS image sensor - CMOSIS - CMOS Image Sensors

I am not sure where else they could turn for a new sensor?Dalsa or truesense?or maybe sony?the fact that they are already working with cmosis might be a strong indicator..

Rob

rsmphoto

I would think this would be the logical course, having worked long and hard (a continuing journey) on the M CMOSIS chip, the road to success with a similar but higher res (50+?) CMOSIS chip for a future S would be well paved. For me at least, 70mp would certainly be most welcome.

fotografz

Maldivian heron :)

S2 + S-180/3.5@f/4.8
(no crop, almost SOOC:)

B E A U T I F U L !

This image, as disarmingly simple as it is, exemplifies why I love the S2 and its lenses.

The damned rendering is so subtile and exquisite ... wonderfully delicious aesthetics that transcends what the image is about. The look and feel stands on its own as art. Congratulations!

The first time I shot an S2 years ago, I did one of a friend that had a similar look and feel, and that kept me hooked until they got the system up and running enough get one.

- Marc