The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

M

mjr

Shall we have a photograph? Lots of good info but nice to look at some pictures too.

This taken this morning down at the lake.

aDam007

mjr - I agree.. I'd love to see more photos. I'm gonna post some as soon as the camera's in my hands. Until then, I'm going to rely on everyone else to make me jealous.

Stuart Richardson

Beautiful Mat! I will post some in the same vein from a few weeks ago.
Here is one from early afternoon in Iceland...up the hill a bit so it was colder. -8C and blowing 20m/s (45mph)

The wind calmed and the moon came out a few days later:

M

mjr

Lovely Stuart, I'm heading back to Iceland soon, running a workshop there in September, will pop in and say hi, my brother lives in Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Here's another from a couple of days ago...

Ant58

Here it is, a small image from a little mountain stream at the beginning of January. Leica S2, Hasselblad Sonnar 4/180.

topoxforddoc

A test shot taken this afternoon with my new (to me) 120/2.5 CS, courtesy of Jean-Michel Clajot, a photographer in Brussels. A (cropped) close up of one of the Gargoyles at our home, dripping after the early rain.

S(006) 120 CS

aDam007

Ok, so the camera arrived. I'm charging the battery, then updating the firmware. Oddly enough I was told the camera was brand new from Leica NJ, but it doesn't have the latest firmware installed. Is that odd? Also the top portion of the white warranty card has been pulled off.

Looks good, looks like new (which it's suppose to be).

Sticker on the lens says not to mount the lens unless you've updated the warranty. So haven't mounted the lens yet.

EXCITED.

Shashin

It is not odd for a camera not to have the latest firmware. They will be producing the camera in batches and it depends on the production run. Hardware tends to run ahead of firmware updates.

Paratom

Ok, so the camera arrived. I'm charging the battery, then updating the firmware. Oddly enough I was told the camera was brand new from Leica NJ, but it doesn't have the latest firmware installed. Is that odd? Also the top portion of the white warranty card has been pulled off.

Looks good, looks like new (which it's suppose to be).

Sticker on the lens says not to mount the lens unless you've updated the warranty. So haven't mounted the lens yet.

EXCITED.
OK, lets see some snaps ;)

aDam007

Camera was DEAD on Arrival.. Well sort of.

So I charged the battery, then installed the latest firmware and the lens said to install the firmware before mounting. So I installed the firmware on the camera and turned it back on with the lens installed.. It made a whirling noise and It said firmware available for the lens. So I turned it off and turned it on again and installed the lens firmware.

The whole time there's a stain mark on the inside of the LCD screen which bothered me.. But I was going to ignore it.

Once firmware for the lens was installed I restarted the camera, it made the whirl noise again and I went to shoot and it wouldn't focus the lens. It was make a weird loud noise but no focusing the lens wouldn't move at all.

So I tried all the different focus settings and nothing. So now I'm about go to go the Leica store in LA and have them swap it out.

I'm going to tell them I want direct replacements and I don't want it to count towards my 3y warranty first 6m replacement camera. Incase this **** happens again.

Not off to a good start.
Wish me luck....

aDam007

Hi,

So basically the lens was DOA. The camera is fine. After a bit of fussing on my end. I was lent a lens to use for the week while this lens gets sent back to NJ and a new lens gets sent to me.

So I'll have a new 70mm very shortly. In the meantime I spent much of my day running errands since I was in the area (because of the loaner lens). So no photos :(

Will have a bit more time this week. So far the AF is faster then I remember and the camera seems smaller/lighter then I remember as well. All good things. ISO seems worse from the screen from the one or two shots I took. I hope it cleans up better then it looks in the preview :D

EDIT: BTW peterv, that's exactly what happened.

Last edited:

Paratom

Hi,

So basically the lens was DOA. The camera is fine. After a bit of fussing on my end. I was lent a lens to use for the week while this lens gets sent back to NJ and a new lens gets sent to me.

So I'll have a new 70mm very shortly. In the meantime I spent much of my day running errands since I was in the area (because of the loaner lens). So no photos :(

Will have a bit more time this week. So far the AF is faster then I remember and the camera seems smaller/lighter then I remember as well. All good things. ISO seems worse from the screen from the one or two shots I took. I hope it cleans up better then it looks in the preview :D

EDIT: BTW peterv, that's exactly what happened.
Not a good start but still I am sure you wont regret your choice.
Also in my experience in Germany S-service is handled top priority - so usually no long times waiting.