The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

anGy

I had the chance yesterday to test the 100mm S.
First contact with the lens was great, relatively small and light (for the Leica s lenses standard).
Thanks to the f2.0 aperture the OVF of the S2 becomes brighter than ever, wonderful to use.
I was less impressed by the AF: takes time to lock focus. It looks like it quickly get close to the target than hesitates with very small focus adjustments before locking focus. This with an S2 body and last firmware update.
All in all the AF behavior of the 100mm I've tested is more close to my 120mm macro than to my 70mm or 45mm.
I've already had this impression when I first tested a 100mm at the Photokina.
Can anyone comment on his experience with the 100mm AF ?

RVB

First contact with the lens was great, relatively small and light (for the Leica s lenses standard).
Thanks to the f2.0 aperture the OVF of the S2 becomes brighter than ever, wonderful to use.
I was less impressed by the AF: takes time to lock focus. It looks like it quickly get close to the target than hesitates with very small focus adjustments before locking focus. This with an S2 body and last firmware update.
All in all the AF behavior of the 100mm I've tested is more close to my 120mm macro than to my 70mm or 45mm.
The S focuses faster the the S2,I just got this lens but have no S at the moment as I sold it to fund the 007.

I have read that the 007 has even better AF.. (I hope its true..)

GMB

I share that experience. And I have it on the S007. But it's a great lens nevertheless.

Let's meet for a shootout. We are in the same city--or close by.

fotografz

I share that experience. And I have it on the S007. But it's a great lens nevertheless.

Let's meet for a shootout. We are in the same city--or close by.
Please tell us about the S(007)!

RE: the S100/2 auto focus ... I think people have to remember that you are focusing at f/2 which is a VERY fast aperture for Medium Format ... the DOF is VERY shallow, so it requires a target that offers enough contrast for the AF to lock on to.

- Marc

M

mjr

Maybe we need a European meet if there's a 007 floating about!

I am probably going to put my backup S 006 body up for sale with my 100 f2 in order to help fund a 007 and zoom once they release, it will fit better with my commercial work, I've only taken 600 shots with the 100!

I have tended to focus manually with the 100 so far, in the studio it's pretty easy, occasionally I use the AF to get close but that final adjustment I like to do myself, different folks work in different ways. Stopped down a little I find the AF very accurate on the 006.

Mat

fotografz

Mat, stopping down doesn't affect the AF because the focusing is done auto-aperture wide open ... stopping down just increases the DOF a little when the shot is actually taken.

I tend to use the 100/2 at a bit more of a distance which also increases the DOF.

- Marc

M

mjr

Yes Marc, I'm fully aware how the focussing works, thanks for explaining that stopping down increases depth of field, much appreciated.

What I am saying is that if I am shooting wide open, then the lens behaves as described above, very quickly gets close and then if I repress the af it will readjust finely. If I am shooting stopped down a little then I have found I'm happy to just press the af once, get the initial lock and shoot, I don't worry about pressing again for the same level of fine focus I would if I was wide open, hence feeling it's very accurate, maybe I should have said fast instead. I also prefer to use the viewfinder and manual focus or rock slightly when wide open rather than use the af after the initial lock.

As I said, different people work in different ways and I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant.

Mat

peterv

The S focuses faster the the S2,I just got this lens but have no S at the moment as I sold it to fund the 007.

I have read that the 007 has even better AF.. (I hope its true..)
Hi Rob, I'd be interested to hear what made you decide to go for the 007?

Me, I'm going to wait and see, although I'm liking the specs on paper very much. Business is slow here so I don't have the funds available at the moment and I have a lot of other things that I have to take care of, so I have little time left for my photography, unfortunately.

Kind regards, Peter

fotografz

Yes Marc, I'm fully aware how the focussing works, thanks for explaining that stopping down increases depth of field, much appreciated.

What I am saying is that if I am shooting wide open, then the lens behaves as described above, very quickly gets close and then if I repress the af it will readjust finely. If I am shooting stopped down a little then I have found I'm happy to just press the af once, get the initial lock and shoot, I don't worry about pressing again for the same level of fine focus I would if I was wide open, hence feeling it's very accurate, maybe I should have said fast instead. I also prefer to use the viewfinder and manual focus or rock slightly when wide open rather than use the af after the initial lock.

As I said, different people work in different ways and I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant.

Mat
Sorry, I misunderstood when you said ... "Stopped down a little I find the AF very accurate on the 006."

"Fast" or faster, makes sense as you now explain it.

- Marc

peterv

Since this originally is a picture thread, here's a recent one of mine.

I hesitate to post here lately, because the photos tend to get fuzzy somehow, but let me tell you it's very sharp.

My new 24mm on the S2 at f9,5 1/180, TreeDesolation:

M

mjr

Yes, good point Peter, it is an image thread so here's one from yesterday morning.