The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

fotografz

Not really the kind of shots I'm looking to get w/this lens. It's troubling as I'm not sure if it's that the lens isn't what I want, or if it's just that the samples don't put across

Thanks for the heads up though.
Understandable reaction to the Leica samples. IMO, they convey Leica's somewhat directional skew for the S as a professional fashion photography camera.

I have quite a bit of imagery done with the S100/2 … most of it used wide open in available light … unfortunately, they are on a hard drive I left in Florida when I abruptly had to return to Michigan for a family emergency.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your statement "the things I'm looking for"?

I can tell you what I was looking for from the S100/2 …

when I chose the Hasselblad H system, one key deciding factor was their HC100/2.2 … however the drawback was that the top shutter speed was 1/800 due to being a leaf-shutter system. That made it more difficult to shoot it wide open in bright light. When I adapted the HC100/2.2 to the S camera, I then could shoot it either leaf-shutter to 1/750 on the S2 and sync with studio lights, or up to 1/4000 using the FPS setting on the S2. When Leica offered the S100/2 I decided to get it and sell the HC100/2.2 in order to have more consistency amongst the S lenses.

The drawback of the S100/2 is that it is not a leaf-shutter lens so I can't sync up 1/1000 in the studio … but in practice I tend to use the CS120/2.5 for most studio work (product and portraits) or the CS70/2.5 for more full length shots.
So, the S100/2 has become my "normal" lens on the S(006) … and coupled with the CS35/2.5 or CS45/2.8, my most used walk-about kit for street, travel, events, places of interest, and available light portrait lens. I'll be carrying it to the "Woodward Dream Cruise" this week-end … which is always a treasure trove of interesting people, and of course, all sorts of cars.

The best way I can describe the characteristics of the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH. In focus areas are quite defined with a nice gentle fall-off to unfocused areas … and backgrounds dissolve to a beautiful bokeh.

- Marc

Stuart Richardson

...the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH."
Careful Marc, you might open some wallets with words like that...
Regarding the samples, I agree that the fashion ones are not to my taste...I like the Jakob DeBoer images, but the chosen processing doesn't really help show the lens characteristics very well...

PeterA

Enjoyed the 100 examples Marc - I think the Greek Captain shot is an especially wonderful editorial type portrait.... I am trying to avoid opening dusty wallet on a 35 and the 100...taking the grip off the S has made it a lot easier to use as a walk around...

Cheers
Pete

aDam007

Understandable reaction to the Leica samples. IMO, they convey Leica's somewhat directional skew for the S as a professional fashion photography camera.

I have quite a bit of imagery done with the S100/2 … most of it used wide open in available light … unfortunately, they are on a hard drive I left in Florida when I abruptly had to return to Michigan for a family emergency.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your statement "the things I'm looking for"?

I can tell you what I was looking for from the S100/2 …

when I chose the Hasselblad H system, one key deciding factor was their HC100/2.2 … however the drawback was that the top shutter speed was 1/800 due to being a leaf-shutter system. That made it more difficult to shoot it wide open in bright light. When I adapted the HC100/2.2 to the S camera, I then could shoot it either leaf-shutter to 1/750 on the S2 and sync with studio lights, or up to 1/4000 using the FPS setting on the S2. When Leica offered the S100/2 I decided to get it and sell the HC100/2.2 in order to have more consistency amongst the S lenses.

The drawback of the S100/2 is that it is not a leaf-shutter lens so I can't sync up 1/1000 in the studio … but in practice I tend to use the CS120/2.5 for most studio work (product and portraits) or the CS70/2.5 for more full length shots.
So, the S100/2 has become my "normal" lens on the S(006) … and coupled with the CS35/2.5 or CS45/2.8, my most used walk-about kit for street, travel, events, places of interest, and available light portrait lens. I'll be carrying it to the "Woodward Dream Cruise" this week-end … which is always a treasure trove of interesting people, and of course, all sorts of cars.

The best way I can describe the characteristics of the S100/2 is a cross between a Mandler M75/1.4 and a M75/2 ASPH. In focus areas are quite defined with a nice gentle fall-off to unfocused areas … and backgrounds dissolve to a beautiful bokeh.

- Marc
I think the 75APO has to be one of my favourite M lenses for rendering. Though I find that it has a strong veiling flare if shot in certain lighting conditions that will cause a huge decrease in contrast. And will reduce the foggy out of focus areas this making the rendering a bit flat (for lack of a better word). But in the right light conditions, I love the 75APO and am very pleased with its character.

So this is good news at least. I've seen a few test shots now, but my worry is still the bokeh. I really don't like plastic bokeh or anything that remotely resembles it (Sigma Art series are bad offenders, Sony and Sony/Zeiss lenses have it. As well the Otus lenses seem to exhibit it to my eye in certain situations). In the images from the studio, I couldn't really tell the lenses character, and the processing that was done to the outdoor Leica sample shots seem to have stripped the character from the lens. Or maybe it's the way he shot, that's what I'm trying to find out.
I'm perfectly fine with the rendering of the 70S and 120S, though I find the 120S can be a slight bit plastic in the bokeh in urban areas.

I guess I'm curious about the fall off, and bokeh characteristics at vertical half body and chest to head with a bit of breathing room above. So maybe 2m-1m zone. And then probably slightly wider then half body horizontal crops.

Also wondering how the focus speed compares to the 70S. And the ease of nailing focus wide open on a S-006?

fotografz

It seems that you have very specific tastes and performance criteria which may only be answered by testing the lens yourself.

- Marc

aDam007

It seems that you have very specific tastes and performance criteria which may only be answered by testing the lens yourself.

- Marc
Usually I can tell if I'm going to like a lens.. But it takes quite a few sample images for me to get an idea of what it'll do for me.

Seems like it might be the case though, since not many people have the lens, or post images with it :(
Will have to wait till I'm back in the states, and then I'll rent. Was hoping to get it this week or next. Wanted to bring it with me to Korea.

aDam007

PeterA - Is that a lathe? I bought one a while back, made a calligraphy pen for the wife. Satisfied I had learned (scratched the surface of) something new, sold off the machine. Wouldn't mind taking classes or something, but don't think I'd want the tools in my garage as they'd for the most part go unused :(

Oh and when the wife complained I was buying big tools.. I mentioned the literal elephant in the room our Heidelberg windmill.

PeterA

Nice to see you on these pages ... seems like a wee bit since you last graced us with your pictures ... or I have been remiss in following this closely enough.

And I love the Hardinge ... from a different age ... more akin to the S series than the mirrorless wonders.

Warm regards,

Bob
Thank you for your welcoming word Bob - yes it has been a while since I have posted on line, I am semi retired these days and pretty much living at my farm and avoiding my CBD office as much as possible! I have built a new farm house and have done a lot of heavy machinery landscaping ...very fulfilling and enjoyable dirty hands work....photography has take a back seat apart from some snaps as above...

the Hardinge is a very special machine - I also have a 1960's era heavy duty Okuma lathe I purchased from Boeing - like the Hardinge, manual machinery which was made to standards of engineering and materials that the world no longer affords- all good stuff for the home enthusiast I am pleased to say.

I will post more snaps - my enthusiasm for photography has returned as it always does after a period of 'staleness' I guess. I am totally gobsmacked ( but not surprised) to see the changes in camera technology emerging. Still you are right - the (now) old S2 keeps on pumping out quality straight out of the box with no fuss. Can't see any reason to buy newer MF gear- the Sony's of teh world are leapfrogging them as I always expected they would. I might spring for a new ( to e anyway) Leica M240 and replace my M9 for happy snaps - any view on this?

Hope you are well and thanks for saying hello.

Pete

PeterA

PeterA - Is that a lathe? I bought one a while back, made a calligraphy pen for the wife. Satisfied I had learned (scratched the surface of) something new, sold off the machine. Wouldn't mind taking classes or something, but don't think I'd want the tools in my garage as they'd for the most part go unused :(

Oh and when the wife complained I was buying big tools.. I mentioned the literal elephant in the room our Heidelberg windmill.
Hi there aDam007 yes it is a lathe - one of the best ever tool room lathes made - good old American know how...as presented it doesn't have the collet closer or a chuck mounted so that may have confused you - you ar just looking at the beautiful Hardinge taper spindle 'nose' there - tel your wife a man can't have enough tools mate.

-Pete

aDam007

Hi there aDam007 yes it is a lathe - one of the best ever tool room lathes made - good old American know how...as presented it doesn't have the collet closer or a chuck mounted so that may have confused you - you ar just looking at the beautiful Hardinge taper spindle 'nose' there - tel your wife a man can't have enough tools mate.

-Pete
Awesome, you should take some S-images of things you've made with it!
And yeah, I agree about the tools!

BTW, bought a 100 Summicron-S. Will be busy this weekend but will probably bring it with me for a wedding I'm shooting in Korea if I feel like lugging the S-system w/me.

PeterA

Awesome, you should take some S-images of things you've made with it!
And yeah, I agree about the tools!

BTW, bought a 100 Summicron-S. Will be busy this weekend but will probably bring it with me for a wedding I'm shooting in Korea if I feel like lugging the S-system w/me.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/jTLp2s]DSC00645.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr[/URL]

Sorry no pics of made objects with S2 - here is one from a Sony A7R - a simple knurled knob was required and made...note that I have made a joke of the tooling set up for any afficionado -:0
-Pete

PS enjoy your wedding and see if you can post some back room shots of a cute bridesmaid to post and put a smile on all our dials using your 100.

aDam007

Sorry no pics of made objects with S2 - here is one from a Sony A7R - a simple knurled knob was required and made...note that I have made a joke of the tooling set up for any afficionado -:0
-Pete

PS enjoy your wedding and see if you can post some back room shots of a cute bridesmaid to post and put a smile on all our dials using your 100.
Haha, will do!