The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

M

mjr

Morning

Here's some more normal higher ISO shots, was asked to shoot some portraits at an old peoples home, very dark and they weren't very mobile so just natural light from a small window. Brilliant faces! These at ISO 800 pushed a stop in post, I even added a little grain, very clean files.

aDam007

Bought a new lens, the 45S. It's a pretty cool lens. It tends to lean more to yellow/green. Something new sensors do. And something new lenses do (oddly enough). I find the color cast is reminiscent of newer M lenses (50APO aside). It reminds me of the 35FLE color wise. But in a S-way. I still find the color/tones of the 35/70/120 to be more pleasing then the 45/100 but the 45/100 has a really interesting look that I can't escape. So I guess I'll have to own more then less :(

Originally was planning on either 45/100 or 35/70/120 for my final kit. Now I don't know...

Leica S + 45S
(cropped images)

Paratom

Originally was planning on either 45/100 or 35/70/120 for my final kit. Now I don't know...
So now you have the same problem like me, besides I din't find the color difference so significant, more a question of focal lengths combinations for me.
Looking forward to further findings when you have used the lenses for some time.

Last edited:

aDam007

So now you have the same problem like me, besides I din't find the color difference so significant, more a question of focal lengths combinations for me.
Looking forward to further findings when you have used the lenses for some time.

The problem we've been discussing on email about which lenses to keep, will not be solved easily. I can see two solutions.

1) I keep ALL the lenses and eventually realise some get neglected more then others (and I try and WILL myself to sell them).

2) I pick based on FL alone. Which would be 45/100 or 35/70/120. Both sets have pros and cons. But those are the groupings I would choose. I wouldn't do anything funny like mixing and matching, and I don't see a need for the other lenses.

I'm also having the same problem with my M-lens lineup BTW. Maybe the SL will help make my decision easier.

M

mjr

Any of you tried the zoom? I was thinking that with the high ISO performance of the 007 it could be a very good solution and I'd probably keep it on the camera all the time! I love the 24mm as I am starting to do a fair bit of architecture interiors here and it's a very good fl, I also use the 180 more than any other lens, it's my favourite portrait fl. As it is I have the 24, 35, 70 and 180 and it covers everything I want to do commercially and for fun but the zoom is interesting.

Mat

anGy

I've been temped by the idea of selling my 45 and 70 for the 30-90mm.
Never used this zoom personaly. The owners feedback is variable, from brilliant at 30 to 70mm to clearly weaker than the 70 prime at f5.6. It looks like the zoom is a very good option for wide angle as we mostly shoot at f8 to f16 anyway. But if you're used to your 70mm you will have hard time selling it for the zoom.

I stopped thinking about the zoom when I realized that a D810 + 24/70mm (new version soon) is half the cost of this lens. A D810 + 24/70mm is also 30% lighter than a S + 30-90mm. If some flexibility is needed I'd prefer this option.

aDam007

Any of you tried the zoom? I was thinking that with the high ISO performance of the 007 it could be a very good solution and I'd probably keep it on the camera all the time! I love the 24mm as I am starting to do a fair bit of architecture interiors here and it's a very good fl, I also use the 180 more than any other lens, it's my favourite portrait fl. As it is I have the 24, 35, 70 and 180 and it covers everything I want to do commercially and for fun but the zoom is interesting.

Mat

Non-scientific. But every time I see an image from the zoom, I like it. I'd pick one up if I could get over the speed.

baudolino

I had the zoom for a while but sold it and now I use the 45 and 70 lenses, within that range. Main reasons: (a) the primes are faster (was especially important with the S2, now with my S007 is less of a consideration), (b) my primes are the CS versions (starting to use that functionality with the fantastic Profoto B1 strobe heads), (c) the zoom has a 95 mm filter thread (shared with the 24mm but not with other S lenses), (d) as with all zooms, the hood has to be wide enough not to cause vignetting at the widest setting which makes it more or less useless at the longest setting.

JMacD

16-C-1000480.jpg

Mat,
I use the zoom quite a bit and am happy to do so. Interestingly, I used to avoid zooms on other systems as I found I would go to either extreme focal length versus in between. But on the S, the 30-90 zoom is my standard lens and great for walking around. Not that much bigger or heavier than the other prime lenses.

1. There are some shots that require precise choice of focal length and one cannot move forward or backward. In this shot, I was shooting from one balcony to another so no way to move closer or farther away without walking on air.

2. In the wet or in dust, I don't have to change lenses. The sensor stays cleaner.

3. The slowness of the zoom is not an issue with the 007 ISO range or with a tripod for the 006.

4. When using filters, you only need one. Very handy when using ND graduated with a polarizer.

5. I use it in place of owning a 70mm. It has also pretty much eliminated my using my first S lens much, the 35mm.

5. No center shutter, but if one is using strobes, one is usually shooting with a prime lens anyway.

6. Going wide to 30mm in interiors, I can see just a bit of distortion on straight lines at the very edge, but usually when shooting interiors, I have switched to my 24mm. Outdoors, I cannot detect any distortion on wide or any other focal length. The shot shown here is about 55mm, and the lines are straight.

7. I switch to my 120 when shooting portraits seriously so I can best control DOF to get out of focus backgrounds.

So my set up is a 24mm for super wide, the zoom, and a 120mm. The 35mm, sits at home now. The cost of a zoom is high, but there are enough of them out there that one can save money by purchasing used now. With the zoom, I passed on purchasing the 45mm or the 30mm, and never owned the 70mm.

I hope this is helpful.

Jack

M

mjr

Hi Jack

Very helpful, thanks! I've never been a zoom user on any system, I like primes and don't care about carrying the weight but the 30-90 is tempting. I've asked my dealer to send me one to try so I'll see. I have 24, 35, 70 and 180, bought the 100 and sold it on, tried the 120 and went back to the 180 as my portrait lens but commercially, almost everything is shot wide, I think I'd use it a lot with the 24 for interiors and stuff, sounds a lot like how you use yours.

Hopefully next week I will have some experience using it and can make an informed decision, thanks again for your input though, good to read how others are using theirs.

Cheers

Mat

Paratom

I have been tempted several times. But then with the S006 I often shoot my primes in the f2.0-4.0 range, so I am a little afraid that the Zoom might only work for me in very bright light. (I am not a tripod shooter and also often have moving subjects in the image)
With the S007 (which I dont own) this is maybe less of an issue except I dont know how bokeh compares.
If the price wasnt so steep I would probably own a 30-90 additionally to the primes and then see over the times if it can replace part of my primes or if I would want boths.

jlm

Workshop Member
playing around in my shop; a couple of american lathes, the Monarch is from 1947, the Hardinge from the 60's; two of my favorite machines in frequent use.
shot with the 006 and the blad 60mm V lens.
Monarch 10EE

Harding HL, second op lathe with turret

Last edited:

PeterA

playing around in my shop; a couple of american lathes, the Monarch is from 1947, the Hardinge from the 60's; two of my favorite machines in frequent use.
shot with the 006 and the blad 60mm V lens.
Monarch 10EE

Harding HL, second op lathe with turret
Great machines Jim - I am very jealous of your Monarch...never see one down here...how are electrical holding up?
- Pete

jlm

Workshop Member
the early 10EE had a motor-generator powering a variable speed DC drive motor. i used that for a few years, replacing brushes and bearings (I bought the lathe in 1985). eventually put it an inverter frequency control and AC motor. works great. monarchs later had giant DC rectifier tubes; good luck maintaining those.

not to sound greedy, but i have two 10EE's; one in both my NY and CA shops.

now i'm sniffing around for a Hardinge HLVH and maybe a Deckel mill