The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

PeterA

the early 10EE had a motor-generator powering a variable speed DC drive motor. i used that for a few years, replacing brushes and bearings (I bought the lathe in 1985). eventually put it an inverter frequency control and AC motor. works great. monarchs later had giant DC rectifier tubes; good luck maintaining those.

not to sound greedy, but i have two 10EE's; one in both my NY and CA shops.

now i'm sniffing around for a Hardinge HLVH and maybe a Deckel mill
I've posted a pic of my Hardinge previously in this thread - do you want to see my Deckel? ;) Here it is as I was setting up a metal work area in my shed...
I recently added an OkumaLS I sourced from Boeing here in Australia - a beautiful 1960's example - still smooth as butter...

I've always wanted a Monarch - because I think they are the most beautiful looking lathe - upgrading the electrics is the way to go - I agree the tubes are a turnoff.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kdrGqt]DSC00656.jpg by Peetey, on Flickr[/URL]

aDam007

Can one of you guys (Jim, PeterA), make me a harry potter wand for Halloween?

I tired but gave up. Using a lathe is hard work :D

jlm

Workshop Member
have always loved the lathe; first project was a brass cannon (of course) about 4" long, made when i was about 8.
have about 6 now, all sorts, but the old american models, South Bend, Leblond, Monarch and Hardinge are pretty cool, have a nice Cochester as well and a remarkable Okuma CNC lathe that has made many Leica parts and supercharger pulleys (i'm still 8)

and Stuart, i bought the 006 and 100S; was able to carry one around in one hand most of the day, too! still have to fine tune my usage, but am liking it so far. especially handy to slap on the blad v lenses

M

mjr

Morning!

In a desperate but futile attempt not to have the SL thread at the top of the forum, here's a quick grab shot from my house yesterday, winter is on the doorstep.

M

mjr

Here's another couple from between jobs the other day, a nice old fella in the fog, waiting for restoration..

And winter storage of old boats down by the river, I just liked the scene, nothing special..

PeterA

What do you guys make with those lathes? And John, how are you liking the S?

Hi Stuart I use the lathe and milling machines to make all sorts of tools/repair improve things on motorbikes and farm machinery. Manual machinery is easier to use and faster to use than CNC machinery - for one offs.

Stuart Richardson

I am envious of your skill! Always good to learn new skills so that you can do things yourself...recently I learned how to truly and properly sharpen knives, so as to keep some nice Japanese knives that I use in the kitchen in top shape, and I also took up sewing so that I could tailor my own shirts and trousers, though I still have a long way to go with that!

In keeping with Mat's idea, here is a photo from the farm where I often stay. This is from last Easter...I got stuck out there for an extra five days after a storm dumped a lot of snow. The road out to the farm is 15km from a town of 20 people, which itself is only accessible via boat or mountain jeep in the winter. I had taken an enormous jeep over the pass that came with supplies for Easter, but they will only drive it in ideal conditions, and the sea was too rough to take a boat, so we had to wait an extra five days before it was safe to get back over the pass. This one is my friend Spóla, who was exploring a bit in the fresh snow while I took pictures. Apologies if I already shared it...I can never remember. I do not share many photos online these days! So much work in just taking them...I general only post ones that I publish or have in exhibitions.

jlm

Workshop Member
the Test; my absolute favorite mill, in the morning light; gear driven horizontal with overarm support and turntable for X axis. fitted with 3-D digital readouts

S 007 S24mm ISO 1600 handheld 1/45, f3.5, cropped down from full frame. 6:45 am.
I couldn't do this handheld with the 006.
Jack,

How do you like the 007 compared to the 006? I have an 007 on order, but am still curious about any differences in rendering from the 006.

JMacD

Jack,

How do you like the 007 compared to the 006? I have an 007 on order, but am still curious about any differences in rendering from the 006.

There is no difference in rendering to my eye for normal 006 stuff. I have the 006 still, and have shot some direct comparisons. But I admit, I have not yet done prints side by side. There is a difference in what I am willing to try to shoot, and capture.
The extra DR allows me to shoot interiors with natural light, and still have the exterior be exposed correctly. This is a game changer. Oh maybe with less DR on the 006 I could have achieved close to the same after an hour in LR and PS, but I frankly wouldn't have tried. I really wanted more pixels on the 007 for bragging rights, but in truth, I would prefer the DR, since I successfully sold very large prints including 7.5'x5' with the current S resolution.
The higher ISO is wonderful of course. The buffer never fills, and that helps my shooting better.

David Farkas did a test between the M 9 and the M 240 and no one could tell the difference, except for higher ISO. I would not expect him to bother on the S comparison.

aDam007

Jack,

The difference is there. But it's not going to be the same as the difference between the M9 and M240. In real world usage you'll find the S-007 shifts just slightly to the greens (not like the M240). If you manage your orange/yellow skin tones you can shift it a slight bit pink and be fine. Though I was using it in Singapore where the light quality is terrible. So it might not even be so noticeable in other areas of the world.

The JPG files out of the S-006 look better to my eye. It's the contrast. But easily achieved in the S-007 in a click with the curves adjustment. IF that's what you want to do of course.

And of course DF did a comparison between the M9 and M240, and nobody could tell.. You can make almost any file look similar to another file if you have the time and energy (I said similar but not the same). BTW, I did his test and I think I was around 90%+ accurate. I think I messed up on 3-5 images :D

I'd keep my S-007 pre-order if I were you. Simply speaking, it is a far more responsive camera. You'll get the feeling that Leica has gotten back on track. It's actually one of the reasons I'm so confidently awaiting my SL.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mat,

Is that from an 007? The pearly light of shots into brightly lit mist or fog really makes my jaw drop on good CCD sensors (Phase backs, M9, or 006). If the 007 can do that, too, then that ends the CCD vs. CMOS debate as far as I'm concerned.

Beautiful!

--Matt

Last edited:
M

mjr

006!

I think that highlight handling on the ccd sensor is what sets it apart ever so slightly.

Mat

David Farkas did a test between the M 9 and the M 240 and no one could tell the difference, except for higher ISO. I would not expect him to bother on the S comparison.

And of course DF did a comparison between the M9 and M240, and nobody could tell.. You can make almost any file look similar to another file if you have the time and energy (I said similar but not the same). BTW, I did his test and I think I was around 90%+ accurate. I think I messed up on 3-5 images :D
I'm am relatively inexperienced, have almost no experience with CCD, and took the Reddot poll with the mindset of choosing the images that I liked the most. In all but two of the images, I chose the M9. Do you think I would still see the difference between post-processed S006 and S007 files?

aDam007

I'm am relatively inexperienced, have almost no experience with CCD, and took the Reddot poll with the mindset of choosing the images that I liked the most. In all but two of the images, I chose the M9. Do you think I would still see the difference between post-processed S006 and S007 files?
Yep, you will see the difference. But I'm not sure if you went about "picking the best" that you would necessarily pick the S-006 over the S-007 on all cases. Though that slightly yellow/green color shift is there. Similar to newer lenses. Funny I wonder what causes it?

Let's put it this way. I'm a lot more comfortable editing S-007 files then I was when I first started editing M240 files. Perhaps because I had all that practice with the M240, and the S-007 is similar.. But I don't think so. I think the S-007 is just more carefully calibrated in camera to produce a more appealing Leica color profile. Whereas the M240 felt sloppy in it's built-in profile.

Though if you ask Leica techs in Germany (as I did). They will tell you the two M cameras are 99% identical in color values. And that the values are so minimally different that you couldn't perceive it with your eye. Or some nonsense like that.. I obviously don't believe them.

Conclusion is.. I think the S-007 is vastly improved in ALL areas. So much so that I don't think color preference will sway you, if you feel the need to upgrade from your current body.

I think I'd keep both cameras. Especially with the used market pricing right now on EVERYTHING photography related.