The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Very Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Lloyd

Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted much at all, but just had to share this simple little pic to celebrate my return back into the M9 fold. Taken moments ago with my new M9 and 90mm APO of a little pup, who was just rescued and somehow landed on my doorstep a week ago. So now, after ceaseless wanderings myself across various photographic deserts and valleys, I've finally found my home with a K5, H4D, and my M9. Learned a lot, made tons of mistakes, but now its time to take some pictures.
Cheers,
Ron
Welcome back, Ron. Looking forward to more. (BTW, don't know how you manage to get by with that kit! :D Pretty minimal!)

dude163

Nice set, Robert. Another good one of your daughter. As for the car shots, I'm a b/w lover, so that was my first choice. However, the more I looked at them, the more the color grew on my. Has a very 1970s feel to it, and seems apropos of the subject.
Thanks Lloyd, I agree the golden sunset and the car reminded me of the beach sunsets growing up in San diego in the early 80s

Amazing that a piece of metal and electronics can stir so much in a persons soul!

m_driscoll

I rented an M9, 50mm lux, and an extra battery for The Hangout Festival in Gulf Shores a week ago. I had wanted to try an M9 and Leica glass and since the event didn't allow "professional" or interchangable lens cameras without a press pass I knew there was no way my D7000 would make it through the gate. Luckily all 3 days when the security looked through my bag and saw the M9 they didn't give it a second thought while a woman in front of me with D90 got turned back.

All of these pictures were taken at sunset or later. The person in the first photo is a friend and she really does have hair that purple, you usually just have to catch it in the right light to see it shine.

I've been interested in the M because of the Leica glass mostly, but I do love the quality of the files that the M9 produced. I've owned several Nikon bodies from the D{1,2,3}00 and now the D7000. The lack of AA filter is quite noticeable and has me considering the removal on it on my D7000.

The rangefinder experience was fun and suited me quite well. With my Nikons I usually operate differently than most people around me when it comes to shooting. I tend to take my time to compose the shot (waiting for the subject usually) instead of taking a series of pictures hoping one got the subject doing what I wanted. My last trip with the Nikon got me into wanting bokeh more and that ultimately led me to the Leica world.

I like the M9 and think it has just the right mix of functionality and control for what most photographs need, but found it wasn't quite electronically rugged enough. I found it would spend long periods of time trying to write images to the SD card when the battery was around 25%. This led me to lose a couple images. The first day I thought the camera had frozen so I took the battery out and reinserted it. The second day I realized it was the battery being low. I reset the camera again because it was taking minutes and there were other things around me with the light changing at sunset that I wanted to capture. On the 3rd day I watched the battery and changed it before there was an issue.

I've since bought a couple of lenses, the 35mm perar II and the 135mm tele-elmar. To hold me over through the upcoming product announcements, or M10 if the announcements aren't enough, I just got a Nex-5 with adapter so I can start using the glass collection I'm building.
CeHoffman: Nice shooting, even with the battery issues! The M9 has it's peculiarities and limits, but, unbeatable at times. Collecting "glass" is the right idea. The lenses are almost an investment. So, $10k + of camera and lens equates to a point-n-shoot. Cool. :cool: :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Sisters, M8/50 'cron:

Regards
Mike
Mike: Well arranged progression of people. Nice capture. :thumbup:

A few from yesterday's Indy 500.

I'm trying to master some traditional manual techniques with my M9, and for the first time used an external finder (35mm), hyperfocal focusing, and manual exposure with the Sunny 16 Rule. I really enjoyed shooting that way. A little difficult with changing light situations, but I'll keep at it.
John

John: These are very cool. Your manual technique's great! :salute:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

"Inflation." I have no idea why...

Inflation by peter.a.klein (Boulanger-Croissant), on Flickr

M8 and 50/2 Summitar from 1949. Green Lake walking path, Seattle.
--Peter
Peter: Well seen! Menage a trois? :LOL:

The Man and The Dogs by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

M9 + 35mm Cron
Mohammad: Great color and composition. The man and dogs add scale and enhance the perspective by bring the eye back to the middle distance.

Matt, The steel sculpture has a really excellent dramatic angle.

Mohammad: Thanks! :D

Thanks !! glad the Roller Derby shots were enjoyed .... I remember watching the roller derby on tv when I was kid along with wrestling ... Chief Jay Strongbow ; ).. had no idea the roller derby was a local sport happening all around the US , any way lot's of fun shooting with a rangefinder ....Here is my Memorial Day pic ....

M8 18 mm SuperElmar
Shiro: Terrific image and pp. I like the strong difference in contrast. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Kewl test shots, Matt. I tend to shoot things on or around my desk a lot as well. So much so that when Mimi noticed your shots, she actually thought they were mine... she's seen shots so that hurricane bulb blower (well, one like it) before. :D
Lloyd: Thanks! :D Usually, it's a late night exercise for me. ;)

Nice series Steve.
Gorgeous shot Robert.
+1! Lovely shot Robert!

. . . . . also another beautiful photograph of your daughter!

I love the black/white version, the sunstar caught my eye on the left and the BW version is just more appealing for me.
+1 Some beautiful shots of the wedding reception! The bride & groom must be happy that you have captured moments of their special occasion.

. . . . . unfamiliar with the one finger pointing dance and song (shout), is it a traditional number?
Steve/Robert: +3! :salute:

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

++2!

The B&W shot is my favorite, lovely bokeh . . . . .

. . . . . perhaps a new thread dedicated to desk objects?

btw, is the 75/2 a new pick up?
Dan: Thanks! No, the 75/2's been mine for a while. Phenomenal lens. :D
Maybe, but (and Lloyd would probably agree?) the desk objects would have to be seen from the chair in front of your pp monitor. And all photos need a time stamp of after midnight local time! :D

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Contra Dance @ Warren's Roadhouse ~ NorthWest Folk Life Festival
M9 with the VC Ultron 28mm f1.9
M9 with Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4

M9 with VC Ultron 28mm f1.9

M9 with Leica Lux 50mm f1.4
Dan: Excellent photos from Folk Life! (I'm such a slackard. :eek:) I esp. like these two. The first has an incredible amount to look at. The second's an excellent composition. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

No new trips, so I'm sifting through the images from my April Vegas visit. All with the 24 lux.

Two shots of the balcony and signs at the Fashion Mall.

[/IMG]
Three shots of the sandstone brick walls near the Fashion Mall.
And a shot of some flowers at the back entrance of Treasure Island. I was lucky that there was plenty of light.

Still the King of Wide, David. Very nice.
David: +1, your majesty! :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted much at all, but just had to share this simple little pic to celebrate my return back into the M9 fold. Taken moments ago with my new M9 and 90mm APO of a little pup, who was just rescued and somehow landed on my doorstep a week ago. So now, after ceaseless wanderings myself across various photographic deserts and valleys, I've finally found my home with a K5, H4D, and my M9. Learned a lot, made tons of mistakes, but now its time to take some pictures.
Cheers,
Ron
Ron: Nice save and photo! Great set of cameras. :thumbup:

Must have wandered into the wrong part of town...
David: Bit scary! :thumbup:

David E , nice shots! #3 is my fave , and the one of the Treasure island flowers is wicked!

I normally dislike pictures of flowers, but my Doctor and therapist tell me take more Leica shots! best rehab program ever!

Robert: I'm not going to say that the Dr (and therapist) are always right...but, maybe in this case. Brilliant colors. :salute:

Cheers, Matt.

seakayaker

Mohammad, Matt, & Lloyd, thanks for your kind words, always appreciated.

Theoretics ~ Hip Hop Band ~ North West Folk Life ~ Seattle, WA

The Sax Man ~ Street Performer ~ North West Folk Life ~ Seattle, WA

Guitar Man ~ North West Folk Life ~ Seattle, WA

M9 with VC Ultron 28mm f1.9

seakayaker

Matt, all thee are lovely shots.

Nice pop in the first photo, clean and crisp! I am a sucker for bokeh and the third shot has a nice soft bokeh even with the f4.8 aperture setting, nicely done.

ShiroKuro

Shiro: Love these. Esp. this first one. The f/3.8 on that lens has always slightly turned me off. Doesn't appear to bother you?

Cheers, Matt

Thanks Matt...... f3.8 does not bothers me . So far I have been using it mostly for day time shooting . One of my favorite lens is the 21 SA and that is not a fast lens either..... I wanted something wide to use on the M8 so I went with this lens and love it .... these high contrast high iso images are not doing the lens justice.. DavidE's images have inspired me to try some architecture shots with this lens ...