The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens recommendations for M9

A

Adam Marelli

Hey Wayne,

How often do you shoot landscape at f 1.4? While the Summilux lenses are fabulous, they may be more responsible for "changing" the way you shoot than doing landscape work. Once you shoot at 1.4 a new realm of possibilities seem to open up.

But at f 4.0 or higher, there wont be too much difference between a summilux or a summicron, but your pocket will have a few thousand dollars extra, especially if you are planning on buying a few lenses.

My advice is start light. Buying a kit of Leica's top lenses straight away is not really the way to go. I learned more by shooting used lenses, really coming to understand their short comings (if any) and then upgrading. You don't seem like you are in any rush, or have pushy clients demanding you switch to a Leica system, so why not take your time in shooting.

I agree with Chuck to 21mm Summilux is spectacular, but most of the things I appreciate about it would be tough to grasp having not worked with the 21mm Elmarit first. If you can round up some used glass or rent some lenses. Shoot them all, then buy the ones you like because ultimately the lenses in your bag may not match the ones in someone else's bag.

Good Luck and Enjoy-Adam

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com

kuau

Workshop Member
+1 for Bills line up but I didn't have the funds for the faster lux, so went with the slower and yet smaller versions. I shoot landscapes and always shoot at aroumd f8 anyways. I also had fhe 90 elmarit for a few weeks but had trouble focusing it even with a 1.3x magnifier so I ended up selling it to Lloyd on this forum. I am debating on getting a used zeiss 21mm 2.8 but can't make up my mind because would also need to buy an external finder.
I am still rather new to my M9 have had it now for 4 months.
I am for sure drinking the leica coolaid right now.
Yet I agree with an earlier post start off slow and don't go out and buy the top dollar leica lenses, only if you plan to shoot wide open all the time which seems like a lot of leica shooters do.

How far is draper from park city btw?
Steven

My choice is the 28 Cron (no extra viewfinder needed!), 35 Lux, 50 Lux, 75 Cron, all asph, and the often-overlooked 135 Apo Telyt. I also got the 12 mm V'lander.

This kit covers pretty much everything for me until I need long telephoto, when I resort to the Sony 70-400G.

Bill