The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blacking Out an M9

Yes indeed. Moreover, you can always order a black M9 in the fine-textured leatherette that usually comes with the steel-grey version, and vice versa, at no additional cost (but possibly at the expense of a longer wait).

They don't.
Thank you for the info. Is it possible to order an m9 without 75 and 135 frame lines (in a mp3 style)?

Yevgeny

A

Adam Marelli

Hey Jono,

The more I look at m6's that have the paint chipped out, the more I am thinking to just leave it be. The MP and the MP3 have a great look. Maybe I was just trying to put the aesthetic of one camera on the other.

Probably best to just let them be. I would however be willing to swap for a black dot. Ever since the anniversary M6's I have loved that black dot on a black body.

I like your sub thread about "great artistic talent." Got a kick out of that.

Best-Adam

A

Adam Marelli

Daniel,

Did you paint your dot black or buy an aftermarket one?

jonoslack

Hey Jono,

The more I look at m6's that have the paint chipped out, the more I am thinking to just leave it be. The MP and the MP3 have a great look. Maybe I was just trying to put the aesthetic of one camera on the other.

Probably best to just let them be. I would however be willing to swap for a black dot. Ever since the anniversary M6's I have loved that black dot on a black body.

I like your sub thread about "great artistic talent." Got a kick out of that.

Best-Adam
HI Adam
Thank you.

I'm right up for black dots rather than red - different style / colour of leather, red straps; whatever - I'm no purists, just an anti-mutilationist!

kirio

I've chipped out the white on the M9 letters and I initially painted the red dot. It wasn't painted perfectly but it served me well while I was on DAG's wait list for the black dots. I wrote Don about the black dots while they were listed out of stock. I eventually heard back from him when he had some available. I replaced the one painted I painted and it looks great being all-black.

I had to send my M9 for a cracked sensor repair so I had to put the painted dot back in. I've read that Leica replaces black dots with red ones so I had to save the one I had. I haven't gotten back my M9 even if the sensor has already been repaired. Apparently the vulcanite is out of stock in NJ. I only hope they send it back before the holidays even if it comes back with a red dot.

OK, the next problem: How do you grey-out a steel grey M9?

On my black M9 I'd replaced the red dot with black, & was pleased to read above about chipping out the white M9 paint with a toothpick. It came out in little chunks, as if it were'nt really paint, but a kind of plastic.

My other camera body is steel grey & wears a black dot, so I tried to do the same thing to the black M9 paint with a toothpick – but stopped before succeeding. It seems to be a different kind of paint than the white, & doesn't pop up in chips or chunks. I have a couple of tiny scratches where I can see what looks like a black undercoat on the body (though there must be brass underneath), & I was afraid of simply scraping from one layer of black into another.

Has anyone successfully removed the black M9 paint from a steel grey one, with toothpick or otherwise?

Kirk