The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What backup body do you have?

danlindberg

I am totally missing my M9. It is close to two weeks it has been away for focus issues and no info on when it returns :mad:

Obviously I am browsing around for a backup solution. A Gf 1 or EP 2 with Leica M adaptor ? a second hand M8 ? or X1 ? or something completely different ?

I would have loved to have something good right now, but I also know that when the M9 is working the backup solution will collect dust.

I am not sure what to do.... Do you have a backup solution?

Paratom

I once had a second body for my M8 but used it so seldom that I sold it.
I would rather have something as a backup which you also would use when you do have your M9 available (different thing if I were pr-then I would have a second body for sure).
This could be either a m4/3 (which is however close in site to the M9) or maybe better a x1 which also works as a light and small alternative when you daont want to carry the M9.
Something else would be a small DSLR which you could also use for those times when you want AF or Telereach.
For example a D7000 or a Pentax K5.

fotografz

Sony Nex 5 with M lens adapter. Even though I have two M9s, I still have this little gem which does stuff the M9 can't do.

Lots of fun :), APSC sized sensor, Up to ISO 12,800 with ISO 5000 being pretty darned good ... very nice ISO400 B&Ws, flip-up screen, and in-camera stitched Panoramas (no post stitching required). Relatively inexpensive.

Marc

A

Adam Marelli

Dan,
My back up body is an M6. Occassionally when I travel to places and there is no power for a few days, the M6 still works. Plus I enjoy shooting film. Its just a different feel.

Best-Adam
http://www.adammarelliphoto.com

dick

My theory is not to have a back-up, but have two that complement each other, one best for tripod work and one best for hand-held.

Seascape

Another vote for a M6........ I keep looking at all the people buying turntables for the hot new item, VINYL records!!!

Who knows when film will be the hot new item :cool:

I am totally missing my M9. It is close to two weeks it has been away for focus issues and no info on when it returns :mad:

Obviously I am browsing around for a backup solution. A Gf 1 or EP 2 with Leica M adaptor ? a second hand M8 ? or X1 ? or something completely different ?

I would have loved to have something good right now, but I also know that when the M9 is working the backup solution will collect dust.

So far, I´ve been lucky enough to have my M9 perform flawlwessly (less luck with the new 35/2, but that´s sorted out, finally). Nevertheless, the thought of a possible backup has crossed my mind more than once, and FWIW, these are my reactions.

While I own a Panasonic G1 with adapters, the experience is just too far from the ´M feeling´ to be a real alternative. With practice, focussing an M is almost instantaneous, but the sequence of button-pressing and then using the EVF is VERY slow and fiddly, although very exact. For me, that´s for closeups on a tripod only.

I do have a nice M2 for film, and I used it while waiting for the M9, but the hassle of scanning was just too much.

The only realistic alternative for me would be my lovely Digilux 2; that´s what I would grab the instant I needed a backup for the M9. I do own the D-Lux4 too, but too fiddly to get the ´Leica feeling´.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I use an M8 (bought used) as backup, which I frankly only carry when on a long distance trip.

I thought I could go with an X1 but found its autofocus limiting, and on-screen composition is not for me.

I have never been satisified with a small sensor camera. Have owned several Canons including G10, and still have a DLux3. Just not my cup of tea, and every time a new one comes along and I bite, I end up regretting it.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How long will you be without the M9? If only a couple of weeks I'd just suck it up. If MONTHS I'd probably buy a used M9 then sell it when I got the other one back. For backup in case of catastrophic loss while traveling I'm throwing my M6 in the luggage. My M9 is insured against theft, loss, and accidents, so if that happens while I'm traveling I'll get another one (overnight shipping is such a modern marvel) then deal with the insurance end when I get home. So at most I'd only be without it a few days and be out cost of shipping.

m_driscoll

I had two M8's for a while, then one M9, and now an M9 and an upgraded M8. I only needed a backup once when the electronics in my first M8 went wonky. The M8 seems to complement the M9 because of the "crop factor" and it's kind of the same, but different. Film's a great option (I have an M7), but doesn't seem like a "backup".

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'll eventually (probably) get another M9 - tho' by then maybe the M10 will come along and the M9 can be the back-up. Meantime my X1 does very well and it's so light I don't even know it's in the bag!
Bill

doug

I have a second identical body. Funny thing is the backup camera needed service before the original one ... at least if the original camera is ever out of action I know the backup is functioning at 100%.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A backup for a digital M would always be a digital M. I decided to stop shooting film some weeks ago. I will keep my analog M's (M6, M7 and MP) just for nostalgic reasons. But the whole workflow from analog via scan to digital became simply too troublesome for me - I am getting old an lazy :D

dannh

I use a GF1 as a backup, as well as for the really wide (7-14mm) or long shots. It's not replacement, but my M9 is currently getting it's sensor/logic board replaced and the GF1 does the job. Lately I've only been shooting family shots with lots of kids running around, so the GF1 is probably a better choice right now anyway.

danlindberg

Thanks for so many suggestions :) Appreciated!

I will be on a road trip for three days starting tomorrow and I will be thinking long and hard on what I will do. I sort of understand everyones standpoint here so it will be a tough call.....

jonoslack

HI Dan
My backup is an M9 . . . . but, truth to tell, it's hardly a 'back up' as it's used at the same time, with a different lens on it. M shooting with two bodies is a real treat.

all the best

Like Jono, I use another M9. I had 2 M8s & planned to use one as a backup to M9, but I found the M8 awkward to use in this pairing because the focal lengths don't 'overlap' very well: if you use the M8 for wides, the apertures are too slow, & if you use it for longer lenses, you might as well just crop the M9 files. Also I often didn't remember to put on / take off the right filter. If possible just spend the $ & be happier.

Kirk