The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's go for a GetDpi Leica Thread Book !

steflaurent974

Woke up this morning,... I sw a lot of ideas here. Now we can see two trends wich are really different :

-a simple notebook, one photo one page, chronological , see it as a reflect of the best of the fun with leica M thread. This idea h goes with the idea of a selection or a vote , rules limited numbers of photo,....we have to choose an orientation (i do prefer landscape, but thats me).

-Dan's idea is different : any photographer can propose a layout wth his photos or even a little text that will fit in a book. This idea retains atrention of several of you. I find it very good too but we are not sticking to the thread anymore.

Could the Rff forum members twell us about their experience ?

steflaurent974

and here is another famous one :

http://fr.blurb.com/books/1397107

wich presents photos by categories (people, architecture, landscape, ..)

At this stage of the project I suggest we make a poll to choose the kind off book :

-one double-page by photograph,

-Categories, and selection of the photos...

T

tokengirl

Great idea! Is this for digital M only, or will you accept M's from the Dark Ages as well?

steflaurent974

Well, as a a traditionnal/digital leica M shooter the question of film photography has to be solved !
The idea came up by daily looking at the Digital Leica M Thread wich is very rich...but I personnaly don't see any problem with film photos as well.

So this can be the Getdpi Leica Users Book !

m_driscoll

I like the way the Leica Users Book looks. But, i think less text and more photos would look best.

I, also, think one double page by photographer would be easiest to deal with. Most people here shoot in multiple categories.

It hasn't been directly discussed (I don't think); but, the photos in the book should be selected only from those Leica photos posted on getDPI in 2010. No ringers.

Alt. 1:
1. Photos had to have been posted in 2010
2. 2-page spread per photographer
3. white background
4. standardized text font
5. name/photographer's country-city in same location on each 2-page spread
6. text limited to photo caption
7. appendix at rear could list metadata by photograph - camera/film/lens/etc.
8. all profits go to charity
9. Guy and Jack write introduction

Alt 2:
1. Photos had to have been posted in 2010
2. photos grouped by categories
3. photographers place photos in categories and top 10 in each category selected by vote of all who posted (or by "jury")
4. white background
5. standardized text font
6. text limited to photo caption/photographer
7. appendix at rear could list metadata by photograph - camera/film/lens/etc.
8. all profits go to charity
9. Guy and Jack write introduction

My personal, egalitarian, choice is for a process/book like Alt. 1.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

GMB

Great idea. I participated in LUF charity book. The idea there was to have one photo per page. There were over 500 submissions and a jury then selected the photos on a no-name basis (i.e., you did not know who had submitted the photo) and per category (with each category having a certain percentage of the total pages). Everyone was eligible who was a member of LUF at the time of the call for submissions, with no restrictions as to what photos could be submitted.

If the selection criteria here is submission in 2010, the forum will get busy between Christmas and new year and we will probably see a lot of great shots.:thumbup:

Anyway, great idea!

steflaurent974

Matt, your number 1 proposal is a solid base for the GLMB 2010 (Getdpi Leica M book). I suggest the book to be in landscape presentation.

GMB, you're right the number of photos posted in the thread might increase significantly til 31 december !!!

We might get a very big book at this time, and this could be a problem.

jonoslack

HI There
I'm for version 1 as well.
The Leica forum book also had a fee for entry (which went to the charity), which might be worth considering.

Incidentally - maybe the pictures should have been taken in 2010 as well as posted in 2010?

I agree that film ought to be allowed as well, but how does that pan out with the posted in the thread rule?

As Stef says, there will be a deluge of photos in the thread before december 31st (not a bad thing in itself), but maybe the pictures should be selections by photographers who have posted in the thread, rather than necessarily images already posted (that also solves the film issue). (apart from anything else, who is going to go through the threads checking to see that every picture has actually been posted?

all the best

fotografz

Feels like to many rules already.

GetDpi members only ... shot with a Leica. Done.

Who cares when it was shot or posted, or what Leica was used, or if it was film or digital? It's the member's images that matter.

Alternatively: a theme could be nice ... to be shot over the next 6 months to a year. This could expand the appeal beyond a narrow band of Leica users while providing purpose and criteria.

I participated in a themed calendar for Hasselblad users ... Home-Sweet-Home was the theme ... and different types of shooters all did their interpretations.

If there is any interest in this notion, I'd propose a theme ... "Peace"

Just a thought, probably worthless ... but nothing ventured, nothing to pee on ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

jonoslack

Feels like to many rules already.

GetDpi members only ... shot with a Leica. Done.

Who cares when it was shot or posted, or what Leica was used, or if it was film or digital? It's the member's images that matter.
Thank you Marc . . . I think that was where I was trying to get to.:ROTFL:

Alternatively: a theme could be nice ... to be shot over the next 6 months to a year. This could expand the appeal beyond a narrow band of Leica users while providing purpose and criteria.

I participated in a themed calendar for Hasselblad users ... Home-Sweet-Home was the theme ... and different types of shooters all did their interpretations.

If there is any interest in this notion, I'd propose a theme ... "Peace"

Just a thought, probably worthless ... but nothing ventured, nothing to pee on ... :ROTFL:

-Marc
Fine - good idea - a different project though I think.

steflaurent974

Marc, Jono, the first idea was :
"I love to watch the Leica M thread posts, it could be so cool to have these beautiful shots in a paper book to look at".

The idea was not mean to exclude people who shoot something else than a leica M, I shoot also MFDigital, film ...
I was just thinking that the kind of pictures photographer ehbit in the thread could stick easily on a book.

But, I will be as pleased to look at futur posts in the idea Marc has proposed as well. The project is different , but maybe simplier to manage.

jonoslack

Marc, Jono, the first idea was :
"I love to watch the Leica M thread posts, it could be so cool to have these beautiful shots in a paper book to look at".
I understand that, but if one decides to allow film shots - they weren't in the thread. Then, if you have 2010 as the date, lots of other images may appear in the thread just so they can qualify, which is a bit lopsided.

If you want a rule about it, then shouldn't the cut-off date be the end of November? (i.e. past).

What if someone want's to do some PP to a shot already posted? Or if in retrospect they find they have a better version of the same scene? Or they'd rather have it in colour?

The 'in the post during 2010' is exactly in accordance with the original concept, but isn't it rather tough to police, and likely to limit the quality of the images rather than enhance it?

Perhaps a statement like:

'Pictures taken with a Leica M camera (film or digital) and preferably posted in the Leica threads during 2010' would get the feel but without applying any un-policeable rules?

all the best