The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's go for a GetDpi Leica Thread Book !

steflaurent974

Well,

as said in another thread, I have seen beautifull pictures in the Leica thread. I would like to have a book to see these pictures on paper at house, I think it's really worth.

Some of you have already show some interest in this idea, so this thread is here to organize things.

Wich pictures ? wich order ? how to choose ? Where to collect (ftp, dropbox, ...) ?

For me, the final result should be a Blurb rigid cover book, with mat finition, and several photos by page...
Or let's go for a fixed number of photo and format, and we can organize a poll ?
Or we can vote for a limited people to organize this with some rules about the number of photos by contributor ?

That could be an annual edition ?

Are you in ? Ideas ? proposition ?

Let's fix a scheduled calendar for that project to be finish !

Let say : shipping March 2011 :D

So are you in ?

mathomas

I like the idea.

The Rangefinder Forum (rangefinderforum.com) has organized a couple of these book projects (I just bought two RFF books). Maybe folks from that forum that also come here can clue us in how those projects proceeded and what they learned from the process.

steflaurent974

Mike , for sure we had to heard about these experiences, hope you've been heard.

Guy , hosting a gallery could be a great thing, thanks for your generous proposition.

steflaurent974

The gallery looks like the way to go :

-one can post a limited number of pictures till a fixed date.
-Judgement time : Then when it's closed, people can rate the pictures so that 100 photos are choosen ;
-Edit time : composition of the book , with maybe a chronological order...
-Order time.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack is going to make a special place in the Gallery for folks to load images. Coming soon to a gallery near you. LOL

Mike Woods

Great idea. Would it be worth having a few separate themes / chapters so that we attract a range of submissions; e.g. Landscape, Street, B&W, etc ?

Mike

danlindberg

A few suggestions...
- each photographer gets one spread each, no matter physical size of book.
- only photographers name and contact info of choice. I think it is nicer to let the images speak rather than long stories of everyones life...
- the photographer chooses if he/she wants one single image covering the whole spread or showing many, the main thing is one spread.

I have done a spread (size A4 spread) to show you a possibility :)

edit: LOL I see now that I have put the same image twice...well, you get the idea :)

M5-Guy

A few suggestions...
- only photographers name and contact info of choice. I think it is nicer to let the images speak rather than long stories of everyones life...
- the photographer chooses if he/she wants one single image covering the whole spread or showing many, the main thing is one spread.

edit: LOL I see now that I have put the same image twice...well, you get the idea :)
This is a great Idea for organization.:thumbs:
at least the contributing photographers will buy at least 1 book :D
I'm In.....:thumbs:

mathomas

A few suggestions...

Beautiful layout Dan. I don't know how much layout flexibility we can get, but I can imagine having the option to replace one smaller image with a block of text (preferably with the page's background color and subtle text, as you've shown in your example, just moved to the block), if the photographer wanted to make a (very) short statement.

The text would necessarily be short due to the size of the area, so brevity would be enforced. The text could conceivably show in different locations in the grid for different photographers, which would add an interesting sort of feel to the presentation. Of course, I'm probably pushing the limits of layout for online books :).

Anyway, this is exciting.

danlindberg

Freedom of layout is unlimited. Blurb accepts high res PDF documents, I believe they even have a ready PDF joboption and ICC profile. So, we do not have to think oldfashioned basic layout blocks - the book can be as complex or as simple as we choose!

mjm6

Dan, I only do verticals, so that layout won't work for me. hahaha

Nice looking spread, and I think an excellent idea. I was going to suggest a similar concept.

I've never been a big fan of full bleed, except with specific kinds of images, so I would caution against locking in stlyistically on a full bleed large image, but in general, I think this is a gerat way to go.

---Michael

danlindberg

mjm6, no probs with verticals. The whole idea is to make every spread suite the individual. If I was to show only verticals and also write a little something, I could do something like this ››