The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wish me luck (with flash)

mathomas

I'm not a huge flash fan, but I feel I'll need it tonight at my company's party (yeah, I'm my small company's camera geek). I considered using my Canon 30D and nice bounce flash as in the past, but I hate carrying that load.

So, last night, I thought, "I do have that Leica SF-24D which came with my M8 -- maybe I should use that". I started Googling and found (almost) nothing but horror stories about using the SF-24D with the M8.

I decided I had to try it for myself. I skimmed the flash and M8 manuals. Then I put some batteries the flash, mounted it up, put it on the topmost automation setting on the slide switch (Leica's labeling on the flash is horrible, but I believe I'm in TTL mode though there is no button position that says so). I set the shutter to 'A' and the aperture to that shown on the flash, and fired a shot. The flash fired, but the shot was overexposed. I simply lowered the output (which oddly showed a higher max range as I did so), and fired again. Success.

I spent the next half-hour firing off shots at different subjects containing different tones, experimented with adjusting output and/or aperture on the camera and/or flash, and inserted some tissue into the wide-angle diffuser. I ended up with f/4 as a nice semi-isolating aperture that will allow me to pre-focus for medium-distance, close-enough focus candids on my Zeiss 25mm Biogon. The flash is adjusted -2ev if I remember correctly. By jove, I think this thing will work really well with very little fuss. If only it would tilt!

The proof is in the pudding, so wish me luck tonight!

mathomas

Had good luck. I dislike flash photos in general, but I had a high flash exposure hit rate, so all is well.

fotografz

Had good luck. I dislike flash photos in general, but I had a high flash exposure hit rate, so all is well.
It can be done, and I do it from time to time at weddings when the lower ambient light and subject movement warrants it ... even though my Sony A900s are better suited for this task.

-Marc