The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for your advice- 18 mm lens options for the M9

ashwinrao1

Well, the saga has wound up with me picking up an ZM 18 mm f/4 from a local GetDPI member (thanks, Geof), and my preliminary shots suggest a bit of red edge that's improved by coding as a 21 mm f/2.8 pre-asph elmarit, as many of you have suggested. I am looking forward to seeing what the lens is capable of and if we get along.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

D&A

Congradulations Ashwin, I believe you made a great choice and looking forward to your exceptional images created with the Zeiss 18mm. Even with a bit of red edge, it may not have all that much impact except with images that have wide empty expanses on a uniformly light color like light blue sky, white snow or little detail on the offending edge. Let us know how it goes.

Dave (D&A)

2x2

Harald, Great to see you here!!!! Glad to hear you loved the 18 f/4. I am leaning more and more strongly towards getting it. Seems like a real winner and for the times I need to reach for an ultra wide, this would be the lens to have, it appears....the Super Elmar is too pricey for me, I think, and if performance is comparable (a la the 24 elmarit vs 25 biogon), I think I'll be a very happy camper, as long as the red edge doesn't foil me....

Time to call Robert very soon, but at this point, it won't come before Christmas !
Ashwin, Congrats on your new lens!
If there's still a red edge problem, try different coding settings. Easy to do with the manual setting option. I know the S-Elmar is f/3.5 but why not giving it a try. Merry Xmas!