The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cron 35 with oil (or glue?)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a 4th gen cron 35 with a very narrow ring of what looks like thin oil around the edge of the inside rear (or second from rear, hard to tell) element. It looks almost like mineral oil or such, but my guess is that if this were really oil it would be all over the place and not along a nice what looks almost intentional ring at the edge? There's nothing on the aperture, and the lens looks clean otherwise. Could this actually be glue to hold an element in place? Anyone else seen something similar?

DaveS

I have one of those lenses, but don't see anything like you are describing, here is a shot of the inside the back of mine, if it helps for reference. Just got back from CLA at Leica NJ.

Dave

kevin

These lenses have a tendency to loosen up. Perhaps a previous owner got in there an made his own repairs?

N

nex100

i had a similar experience with my 28mm elmarit. there is a 'ring' at the edge of one of the middle element. i was told by the lens repair guy that nothing can be done if the 'ring' is formed and in due time it will get worse. even if u clean it, the edges of the images u take will be soft. this often develops when u keep the lens for too long and not using it.

Seascape

Also had a similar problem with a Ver. 4 35 Cron, it was oil or grease around an internal element.

Had to have it disassembled and cleaned by Kinderman, it was OK but never cleaned up completely. maybe too much lubrication at assembly.