The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD 15 and Leica R lens

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am thinking about putting together a one- or two-lens kit to fit a modified Sigma SD 14 or 15.

My favourite focal length is 35-45mm FOV, or thereabouts. Given the Sigmas both have a 1.7 crop factor, and further given that the Sigmas are hardly high ISO performers, what Leica R lenses could the Leica gurus here recommend?

In time I would like a portrait equivalent, as well. TIA, KL

bensonga

That Sigma Cum Laude solution REALLY appeals to me. I've wanted to use my Leica R lenses on a DSLR, but also wanted to continue using them on my R8. Currently, I'm using them with an adapter on my Panny G1.

Looks like I'll have to do some research on the SD14 and SD15!

Gary

bensonga

Any more news on when the SD1 will be available? I presume this Sigma Cum Laude conversion for the Leica R lenses would work on the SD1 also.

Gary

bensonga

I know...who the heck came up with that one? But I don't care what they call it, if it works! :D

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The results on their Users' Gallery look good, and from looking at the specs (1.5 crop factor) I am sure that this conversion will work on the new SD1, which looks very interesting to me.

So, Leica gurus, what are you recommendations for lens(es) for me? The SD 14 and 15 would be a great way to get a basic kit sorted before the SD1 arrives, it seems to me, and the EFOVs are sufficiently similar to make the lens choices for the SD14/15 work for the SD1, too. TIA, KL

thrice

35mm summicron/summilux are both fantastic. Closer MFD on the summicron and more of a traditional Leica rendering. The summilux is sharper but also more clinical. That would get you a 47 effective FOV.

The 28mm Elmarit (E55 with built-in hood) is the best SLR 28mm lens ever made bar none, no matter what your criteria (unless you're looking for a particular rendering). 42mm effective.

The Leica 24mm Elmarit is not the strongest lens in the lineup from what I've seen, I would personally take the hit in width and get the 28mm. Still good by all means, just not amazing.

The 19mm v2 was my baby, loved that lens. It is sharp, low distortion, fantastic colours and has the built-in filter turret, especially handy for B&W. 28.5mm eFOV.

Attached files are in order (I hope) 35 cron, 35 lux, 28 elmarit, and two from 19mm elmarit v2 (since I never owned the 24).

bensonga

I don't have alot of experience with my R lenses and so have hesitated to make recommendations. I based my purchases in part on Erwin Puts' Leica Lens Compendium, impressions from GetDPI posts and on what was available within my budget (for EX+ or better condition). I have the 28mm Elmarit that Daniel mentioned and in my limited experience it's terrific (as Puts says also). I also have the 50mm Summicron and 90mm Elmarit, which both seem to be excellent and which Puts recommends. One big advantage to these Summicrons and Elmarits is they are much more affordably priced and generally available than the Summiluxes. On the other hand, I've been looking for a 35mm Summicron for quite awhile....they seem hard to come by. All of my lenses are ROMs or 3 cam versions.

I think the 50mm Summicron would make a fine portrait lens on the SD15/SD1....approx 85mm equiv, by my calcs.

Erwin Puts book on Leica lenses is available for free online now, but without some of the photos etc.....definitely worth checking out, if you haven't already.

Gary

bensonga

Hi Kit,

I just went to the download page on Put's website (which I had bookmarked) and it appears that the PDF of the original version of his Lens Compendium is no longer available. There's a note that a new version will be coming out soon. Here's the link:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/downloads/page70.html

I have the original version (PDF) that appears to have the same text as the book, but without the diagrams and photos. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. The file size is just 1mb.

Gary

bensonga

Hi Kit,

Just sent it to you. Look forward to hearing which lenses you opt for and seeing some images when you've got the kit pulled together.

Gary