The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Visoflex info please

RayM

Hi, Looking for information on using the Visoflex III with the M9.

Having just learned about this very interesting contraption, I am completely unfamiliar with the Visoflex and while I've done some searches on using one, I can't find very specific information on which pieces I'd need to use it for something like macro work. I would like to use it on those occasions when I'm on a trip somewhere and find a macro opportunity. For example, I'm heading down to Tucson this Spring, and I may find some cactus flowers that look interesting.

Specifically, I'm wondering which pieces of the visoflex system and adapters I'll need to use my current M lenses, and whether it's worth the effort.

Anybody out there with some info or experience they're willing to share? Thanks in advance, Ray

fotoism

One of the most popular lens for use with the visoflex is the Elmar 65/3.5. You will need a 16464 (OTZFO) adapter to connect it to the visoflex. Takes great macro.

RayM

Thanks Doug and Phil. It sounds like the typical rig would include an adapter for the specific lens, am I getting that right? Even for the 65? And, I believe I've read that with the proper adapter, a person could even use Leica R lenses? Sure sounds like there are some interesting options. I would guess that it feels less-elegant than a straight SLR and macro lens rig, but it looks like an interesting option for M cameras. Thanks again, Ray

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Phil, you have obviously had experience with the VisoFlex system <Grin>. And you are completely correct, it isn't something for the faint of heart, at least not getting everything together you need in the way of adapters and getting the whole thing setup and functioning correctly. Ray, SOME of the Leica R lenses will work directly. Others though, you'd need to have someone like Kevin's Cameras in LA do a mount change for you. Which, if I was Doug who owns all that fabulous R APO glass already and just waiting for my DMR to die, I would be all over. I'd just have Kevin or Son change out the VisoFlex mount to accept regular R lenses, and use them on my M9. Which I would have done myself but then wouldn't have had the cash to buy an M9 because I kept all the R glass! Vicious circle, buying camera gears.

If I was going to be shooting macro though, I would pick myself up an older 90mm, and a bellows with focusing rail to go between the lens and the body, and be all set to go at far less cash investment and actually easier setup and use.

RayM

Thanks Phil and Chuck. I'm starting to familiarize myself with the parts and hunt around on the internet for them. I haven't bought any of the pieces yet, but I'm reasonably certain I will. It looks like a klutzy BUT very effective way to add some wonderful glass and added functionality to the M cameras. I also get that going with the visoflex is, as you said, not for the faint of heart. I'm very tempted to do whatever I'll need to do to configure the set up to allow getting the R macro. I've never used a bellows/rail for anything, but this just may be the time to learn. I want to keep in mind my original goal, which is to add to the M's flexibility when I'm on the road on a trip when I'm out on a trip without my Phase system. Thanks again for sending along your wisdom. Ray

fotoism

The visoflex itself is just the starting point. You can go totally different directions with it: macro vs tele. Clumsy setup, no doubt. But some people, a.k.a. ME, like to fiddle with things. Just take your time to read up all the information you can gather (thanks to the internet) and be patient waiting for the right part to come along, at the right price. If you are the kind who wants results fast and easy and automatic, you would not have chosen an M9 anyways.

RayM

You're absolutely right! I like to fiddle with things too, like getting an M image just right. And, yes, I will take my time figuring out what the right things are. It'll take me some time, to be sure. Thanks again, Ray

weinschela

Subscriber Member
You also don't need to make it complicated. For macro work, pick one lens and adapter. That's not that complex, as I can tell you from experience. I have a Viso III and a 65mm Elmar, and a bellows. The bellows gets you closer and doesn't add much complexity. It is great fun and much easier with full frame on M9 than it was with M8. For really long lenses, however, I still prefer a SLR for portability and speed, but you can certainly do your own experimenting to see what suits you.

RayM

Thanks Alan, I've now ordered the Visoflex III, 65 elmar, and an adapter, and I'll see how it goes! It does indeed very direct, and I suspect that once I handle it and see how it all fits together, it'll be one of those, "OK, now I get it" moments. Again, thanks, Ray