The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Next APS-C accepting "M" lenses - RICOH GXR system

Jerry_R

emr

Interesting and I guess people with M mount glass are willing to give it a try. But in general I don't really know what to think of the Ricoh system. At first I thought it was a silly idea to begin with. Like who wants to buy a sensor for each lens? Now with the exchangable lens units I just don't know. But I don't expect the system to become very widely used no matter what.

jonoslack

Well
I wasn't in favour of the GXR system - although I've always loved the Ricoh firmware.
But this seems to me to be rather different - it'll have a proper M mount (not adaptors) and the sensor can be designed to work specifically with M lenses (rather than also having to deal with everything else)

I can imagine that this camera with a little 35mm summarit would be rather a splendid thing

peterb

From what I can deduce, the sensor, a 12.3 MP APS-C type, may be similar to the one being used in both the Fuji X100, D300S or even the X1. So the crop would be 1.46 (if the 24mm on the X1 is any indication).

Couple this module that accepts M lenses (and, ergo, Zeiss M and Cosina optics as well) with the GXR's 920,000 pixel EVF viewfinder for reasonably accurate manual focusing and you just might have a real intriguing new add-on to anyone's M arsenal or a wholly separate new camera system in its own right.

Assuming it has reasonably good IQ and low noise at most ISO's, a poor man's M8? Possibly.

Stuart Richardson

I agree, it is a bit of an odd system, but the difference between this and the NEX or micro 4/3rds is that it has the potential to work much better. If it is made for M lenses, it should have the same sort of micro-lens array that is needed in order to get sharp edges and low vignetting. Using wide angle M lenses (which become standards or teles on 4/3rds) was not great, as they would be ok in the center, but much softer than they should be (or are on film, the M8 or M9). But who knows, maybe this could be very good?

Jerry_R

I also wonder what sensor customization they plan, what will they do with AA filter, how they will maintain focusing.
So far - we know less than about X100. Also - at release time - most probably we will already have EVIL NEX-7 and professional from NIKON.
Maybe even Leica will announce her EVIL. Interesting year :)

From one side - edges and vignetting are probably bigger problem on FF than on APS-C.
With M9 we have often color shift on edges (<35mm), like we do with NEX - for example with CV 15mm.
What is interesting - there is lower color shift on M9 with CV 12mm.