The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focusing Speed / Advice

HenryFool

I'm using an M8 and 40mm summicron and I need to improve my focussing speed. I also have an M6 so I'm not new to rangefinder focussing but since getting a digital M I find myself using it more for the type of general use that I used to use a 5D for.

I have a one and a half year old daughter that runs straight at me every time I pick up the camera, and when I'm indoors I'm shooting wide open at f2 so my attempts at zone focusing are understandably hit and miss, I do get some beautiful results but wouldn't mind getting even more!

I'd appreciate any advice or tips on shooting fast moving subjects, specially at close quarters if you've got any - thanks :)

David K

Workshop Member
I'd say you've got quite the challenge on your hands trying to shoot a running toddler with a Leica M. That's Nikon (or Canon) territory from my experience. Nikon D3 set to continuous AF and 9 fps will get you some keepers. If you can do it with the M8... you're a better man than me :)

I'd appreciate any advice or tips on shooting fast moving subjects, specially at close quarters if you've got any - thanks :)
Go to the dogs....;) Seriously, find a nearby place where dogs play and run freely; they´re fast and erratic in their movements, so the good old method of prefocussing on something doesn´t work well. When you can follow them, you can focus almost anything.

That said, there are BIG differences between lenses, mainly depending on how ´steep´ their focussing scales are. My older Summicron 50 and Tele-Elmarit 90 are quite difficult, while my new Summicron 75 is perfect.

Here´s one from the 75 - and these Irish ladies were FAST...:)

HenryFool

I'd say you've got quite the challenge on your hands trying to shoot a running toddler with a Leica M. That's Nikon (or Canon) territory from my experience. Nikon D3 set to continuous AF and 9 fps will get you some keepers. If you can do it with the M8... you're a better man than me :)
It's a challenge alright! but I'll keep practicing... people have been taking pictures of fast moving targets for a good deal longer than the EOS auto-focusing system has been around so I'll just have to get better I guess ;)

HenryFool

Go to the dogs....;) Seriously, find a nearby place where dogs play and run freely; they´re fast and erratic in their movements, so the good old method of prefocussing on something doesn´t work well. When you can follow them, you can focus almost anything.

That said, there are BIG differences between lenses, mainly depending on how ´steep´ their focussing scales are. My older Summicron 50 and Tele-Elmarit 90 are quite difficult, while my new Summicron 75 is perfect.

Here´s one from the 75 - and these Irish ladies were FAST...:)
Thanks Per, I'll get plenty of practice with the little one (and the labrador!) interesting that the 75 gives you a better hit rate though... oh, and careful what you're saying about Irish Ladies now!