The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast and Wide - my S2 consolation

emr

Congrats, that's some beautiful glass.

Hi Tom
Well - I think it might make me safe, everybody's funds has some kind of a limit, and I think mine might have just got there!
Now what kind of an attitude is that? A proper photographer spends on cameras and lenses more than s/he can afford! ;)

shtarka1

Jono, I like your philosophy of "Taking The Bull By The Horns"! Big Congrats & Wonderful Images!!!:salute:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bob - no old peculiar I'm afraid - we have to take what Sean and Alina have to offer . . . together with the Satie on the piano (played by Alina) and the general great atmosphere.

You might not like the weather so much though - same again today, raining and 4C euch.
We also have had no Old Peculier here for some 18 months as it is no longer imported...my fallback has been a couple of Porters but I bring home Old Speckled Hen on an irregular basis.

Looking at your last post and pictures you have posted I think a S2 would get much less use than you present camera. MF calls for a fair amount of light and /or a large stable tripod. With captures like yours it might see a fair amount of use for 4-5 months a year and while you are on holiday but you seem to have found a most wonderful compromise.

Bob

jonoslack

Congrats, that's some beautiful glass.

Now what kind of an attitude is that? A proper photographer spends on cameras and lenses more than s/he can afford! ;)
Hey! I just spent a squillion quid on new lenses . . . and you're calling me a cheapskate :ROTFL:

. . . . and anyway, of course I can't afford it; should be in the pension fund!

jonoslack

We also have had no Old Peculier here for some 18 months as it is no longer imported...my fallback has been a couple of Porters but I bring home Old Speckled Hen on an irregular basis.

Looking at your last post and pictures you have posted I think a S2 would get much less use than you present camera. MF calls for a fair amount of light and /or a large stable tripod. With captures like yours it might see a fair amount of use for 4-5 months a year and while you are on holiday but you seem to have found a most wonderful compromise.

Bob
Hi Bob
Well, I'm sure I'd use an S2 (because it's lovely) - the reason not to go for the S2 was actually just as you say: I'd got clearance from the powers that be (wife / accountant / business partner). But I wasn't convinced it would have a good effect on my photography, which is definitely reactive and not pro-active; I don't need more time to think about pictures, I need more time looking at (if you see what I mean)!

. . . . what is this tripod thing of which you speak?:)

Glad you like the snapshot of Caspar - he's quite an item (we keep finding him sleeping on the kitchen table, and he sits on windowsills like a cat!)

D&A

This is one from this morning with the Noctilux - an impossible white balance situation makes for interesting colours on white walls - I rather like it!

[/QUOTE]

This image is surreal...simply love it for its pastel like colors and glow surrounding the vase of flowers. The new Noct is a lens that's on my list when I find that darn winning lottery ticket :)

Yes, it's a somewhat difficult choice regarding whether to go with the 21 or 24mm Lux....as close in focal length as they appear, although since you have the WATE, the 24mm was a natural. For some reason I find the field of view quite different with each, which lends itself to very different perspectives on subjects shot with each respectively. I would think the 24mm lens, with it's relatively "more normal" perspective, lends itself to more everyday subjects and can provide shallower depth of field...while the 21mm provides that purposely wide angle perspective. Since I didn't have a lens wider than the 35mm, I went for the 21mm, but each is quite remarkable.

Lovely shots!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wait there is a pattern here . Expensive lenses purchased , Wife, Flowers , Dog and Beer.

So let me play this out.

Bought expensive lenses told the wife she was not to happy went to the brewery had quite a few came home with a lot of flowers and still not happy so now sleeping with dog. I get this now. Happens to the best of us.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

jonoslack

Wait there is a pattern here . Expensive lenses purchased , Wife, Flowers , Dog and Beer.

So let me play this out.

Bought expensive lenses told the wife she was not to happy went to the brewery had quite a few came home with a lot of flowers and still not happy so now sleeping with dog. I get this now. Happens to the best of us.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
:poke::ROTFL:
It all looks so likely doesn't it. But small as I am - there's no room for the dog and me on that chair!

Anyway, it'd be more likely that the dog slept on the bed and I was relegated to the chair :sleep006:

I can see Emma outside the window trying to start the tractor . . . . maybe I shouldn't go outside right now.:LOL:

Hey Jono, I just stumbled on this thread and wanted to congratulate you on your acquisition. You made a very good choice in lenses. They are both excellent as you have already shown.

seakayaker

Jono, wonderful photographs! Love the bokeh created by the noc in the second and third shots of the original series and the shot of the yellow & red tulips is stunning!

. . . . . and thanks for sharing the walk in the woods! Hope you don't mind me posting one of yours from your site (in your thread), I just love it and hope others do as well.

Love the B&W, lovely detail and bokeh!

Thanks!

David K

Workshop Member
I think it's the smart photographer that knows what best suits him. Judging by the images you've picked the right tools for the job. Lovely shots and it's certainly not only because of the lenses. The two you just got are among my favorites in the M lineup... although I find myself using the 35mm focal length more.